Back to School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2021

The 2021-2022 school year starts next week. It seems like the summer went by really fast, but I think I’m ready to go back.

I was supposed to be doing small group intervention this year, but a shortage of applicants for my vacated position has forced me back in the classroom. My old room was already claimed by someone else, and I had given away everything. I have scrambled to set up a room with scavenged materials while maintaining my office just in case we get a last-minute applicant for the teaching position.

Thankfully I’m with my old team, and we do a lot with Chromebooks. It will all work out.

So, any big changes for anyone else? When do you begin the school year?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2021

We received "new guidelines" earlier this summer that basically said we would be returning to a normal school year with some minor differences (online option offered, but students won't be allowed to switch back and forth, no masks required but they're allowed if people want to wear them, no quarantines, no distancing, no temp/symptom checks at the door, keep increased cleaning). Of course the health department guidance has changed drastically since then, so this "normal year" they've already promised now doesn't seem very feasible. Teachers start next week and we still haven't received anything updated, but I'm starting to believe it's going to look a lot like last year.

We are also understaffed and have positions that are still open and likely won't be filled. One of them is on my team, so that will be super fun for me. Not.

I'm grumpy and don't want to go back. Normally at this time, I'm ready to get back to the regular structure of school and at least semi looking forward to seeing my teammates and students again. Not this year. I can't believe we're going into a 3rd school year impacted by covid. I don't want to do it and since the vaccine that we were all waiting for to "get back to normal" is already here, and we're still not doing "normal," I have a hard time believing "normal" is ever coming.

Tired Teacher, whizkid and mrsf70 like this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jul 28, 2021

+1 on this. And the delta variant is already spreading here with no mandated mask requirement. This should work out just fine..........

I agree, can't believe we're headed into yet another year of this, but a medical official said today that there will be more variants and some might be impervious to the vaccine. Well that's just dandy......

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2021

What a shock to be put back in the classroom after having given away all of your stuff! You are sure handling it well! I hope you are able to fill that last minute vacancy!

6. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jul 29, 2021

Hybrid had better be an option for schools, I can tell you that.

7. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 30, 2021

8. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 9, 2021

Already got positive cases.

9. Tired Teacher

Aug 10, 2021

Yikes! The crap is spreading at all time highs here too. Schools are making masks optional.
    I am so thankful not to have to go back!

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2021

We start August 30. We ended the year full in person and we are full in person again with required masks. I teach 6th grade so most of my students will not be vaccinated. We are also COVID testing weekly and I’m not sure how that will work with our schedules.
    My concern is kids who are in quarantine (if we are even doing that) or kids who test positive. Last year, we had to Zoom these kids in for 90 minutes and provide virtual work, or Zoom them in all day. Really don’t want to do this again.

11. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 10, 2021

Got more cases today.

12. Tired Teacher

Aug 11, 2021

Wow! School starts next week here. I wonder what is going to happen in schools all over the US.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2021

We're still in summer school and then start back after Labor day.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2021

We have one positive adult, three quarantined adults, and several positive and quarantined kids. Our mask mandate was reinstituted, and we are stepping up our cleaning protocols again. We are a week in.

15. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 12, 2021

We're preparing for virtual. Expect the kids to go home in another two weeks.

16. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 13, 2021

We're virtual next week. Didn't even make another week.

17. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 14, 2021

Where are you?

18. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 15, 2021

MS

19. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 18, 2021

We'll probably be out longer.

20. Tired Teacher

Aug 19, 2021

I am glad your district was smart enough to go back to virtual. Our district is so stupid. Covid is at an all time high. Teenagers have it here. They have exposed a lot of kids at school, home, and work places. ( Mostly restaurants) The district started up saying : They highly recommend students and teachers wear masks, however it is up to the individual. In saying that, they appease a huge % of loud parents who do not want their kids wearing masks. Hopefully, we will look back on this time some day and have more understanding.

mrsf70 likes this.
  21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2021

We have soooo many kids quarantined. Teachers, too. I’ve been pulled from my intervention classes to sub because we don’t have enough teachers.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2021

Prefer a mask mandate over virtual. Really think we need to keep kids back at school...and do it safely.

mrsf70 likes this.
  23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2021

I'm so surprised there are districts still doing quarantines and virtual. That's not even being discussed here. We do still have a mask mandate though.

24. Tired Teacher

Aug 20, 2021

My district used to have a huge surplus of teachers. They just agreed to pay subs 2 1/2 times what they paid last year. They are attempting to get retired teachers to come in, but most of us are : No way! If they do not respect teachers enough to require the kids to wear masks, they deserve to be short handed. ( Teachers don't, but the district does.)
    Oh, our hospitals are full at this time.

mrsf70 and whizkid like this.
  25. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 20, 2021

We don't have enough teachers or any subs. It's basically babysitting for whoever is available. That's when the kids are actually there.

26. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 20, 2021

Kids that 2-3 years behind will be 4-5 behind without a solution for all of this. I know there are no easy answers.

mrsf70 and Tired Teacher like this.
  27. Tired Teacher

Aug 21, 2021

I saw something on the news last night that made me laugh. It may sound really mean, but I did not laugh for that reason. It said: 4 out of 10 parents reported that their child is behind academically due to Covid/ school issues. I thought to myself : Yeah, and the other 6 out of 10 are clueless where their child needs to be academically!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    mrsf70, creativemonster and whizkid like this.
  28. Tired Teacher

Aug 21, 2021

It is the same here. School just started recently. Kids came back from vacation (flew), came to school sick, exposed teachers and lots of other kids unmasked in close proximity. So now a lot of people are quarantined. So...it is pretty much babysitting the ones who come by the teachers who were not exposed. It doesn't look like the start of an academic catch up year!

mrsf70 likes this.
  29. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 21, 2021

And the route it's going, it will be another throw away year.

30. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 27, 2021

Oh great, now it's hurricane time.

31. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 27, 2021

Just got notified of our first case. I haven't been called yet, so I'm assuming I'm not a "close contact". We made it 2 (ish) weeks. Everyone in the building is masked, but no consistent distancing. They distance at lunch and that's about it. What I didn't know is that we're not currently allowed to do virtual learning for the kids who have to quarantine now. Apparently there's some state rule now about charters and doing virtual, so the kids stuck at home are getting packets of materials.

To me it seems silly to be cutting off options for learning, and zoom class is better than packets, but what do I know? I just teach.

32. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Aug 28, 2021

What state is this?

33. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2021

My state (CO) made some sort of law that if teaching is remote, pretty much 100% of the day has to be synchronous. My district had planned to offer an elearning option again this year, but dropped it because of that. Same with many other districts.

We're not doing the quarantining thing this year- only the positive person stays home. So there won't be a need to switch to remote on a dime like we had to all of the time last year.

34. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 28, 2021

Ohio. We got further details today about what all is going on. It turns out, the reason why we can't do virtual has to do with the big virtual school scandal that happened before I moved here. There was a big hoopla after this online school was audited and they found a bunch of ghost and chronically truant students who weren't being reported as such. Because of that, somewhere between when all of this first went down and now, they passed regulations to where community/charter/magnet schools aren't allowed anything but in-person. I think we can do hybrid, but no full-on virtual.
    We're completely closing for a week because it's multiple cases. The health dept. has/is doing contact tracing and it was their recommendation to close because we have staff who are symptomatic and awaiting test results. With all the germs that go around this time of year, it could be a bad outbreak or it could be a bunch of nothing.

35. Aces

Aces Devotee

Aug 28, 2021

We started back Wednesday doing a hybrid setup. Basically if you’re sick, you stay home and do the virtual. Or if you opt in completely for the virtual. I think we’re like 65-35% in person. We’re also utilizing the technology (I mean…we spent the money on it, might as well use it) so a lot of our classroom work and stuff is the online environment. A good chunk of it is self-paced which is actually working out really well.

36. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 28, 2021

We're hybrid just as soon as this hurricane hits and it will be a monster.

37. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2021

We will be starting our 3rd week on Monday. We have had huge changes within our district. The first was we got a new superintendent. The old one had been here for 12 years, really only focused on the outside of the buildings never really cared what went on in the inside. Allowed others to run the district, (his wife who was his asst super for 10 years, and then a micromanager former band director turned principal turned asst superindentent) I have always done my job, mainly because we had a superb leader on our campus who expected nothing less. She got tired of the micromanaging asst super that she left. Now the new superintendent has come in a made sweeping changes. The main one was he consolidated the campuses. We used to be two elementary campuses of k-3, intermediate 4-5, middle school and highs school. We are now prek- 1, 2-3,intermediate, middle school and high school, This move of the two elementary campuses included about 35 teachers. Everyone had to move classrooms even if they stayed on their original campus. This was done 1 week before inservice was to begin. It meant a lot of time working without being paid to set up our classrooms. He also implemented pretty much a tattle tale system I like to call it. We now have lead teachers, a campus curriculum director, principal, district curriculum director. Each one being told that if they don't tattle on the bad teachers they could loose their jobs. We have also been told to be doing the exact same thing as the teacher next door which I think is not a good teaching practice. What is good for her kids may not be good for mine. I also don't trust my new coworkers. They are proving to be tattle tales and not having our backs. We went from a 6 teacher grade level to a 9. Two teachers from the original school plus 5 of us from my campus and then 2 brand new teachers. This plus all the covid implications is making me hate my job.

38. Tired Teacher

Aug 29, 2021

Stay safe! I hope it fizzles out.

39. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Aug 29, 2021

They're saying it could be worse than Katrina and it's moving fast. We'll be out til probably Thursday because neighborhoods are prone to flooding not to mention the potential power outages. If it's not covid then it's a hurricane.

40. Tired Teacher

Aug 30, 2021

So sorry! I hope you keep power and safe too!

41. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 30, 2021

Even with a strict mask mandate, there are around 12 kids currently diagnosed with covid at my school. Today, a staff member was diagnosed:(
    And, several kids in a room across the hall from me went home early today with "cold" symptoms and are supposed to get tested. I'm betting they won't be back in school tomorrow....