Back-to-school writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AngelM, Jul 23, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Hope this hasn't been covered somewhere else, but . . .

I was wondering what kind of writing I could have students do on the first day back. I will be teaching second grade (for the first time). I wanted to have the students do some kind of brief writing activity - primarily so I could kind of pre-assess their writing skills. It would be a bonus if it were something I could turn in to a class book for display on open house night. Any ideas?? Thanks!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 23, 2007

I actually use Evan-Moor's Daily Handwriting Practice with my 2nd graders. We start with day one on the first day of school. These are half sheets M-Th, and a full sheet on F.

It sounds like, however, you are looking for a writing prompt of some sort. I have my kids do a 1st day of School prompt, and a Goal prompt. On the 1st day of School one, they write about what they were nervous about and what they were excited about. They also write about what happened throughout the day. For the Goal prompt, they write about something they want to improve on this year. They also include ideas on how they can achieve that goal, and who might be able to help them.
    I usually keep these prompts until the last day of school, and follow up with an ending prompt that wraps it up.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2007

You might give them prompt "What I know about my teacher is..." and let them get creative. You could even tie it in with The Teacher from the Black Lagoon story book.

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

How about their favorite thing that they did over the summer?

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2007

What about having them complete "A Map Of My Heart" and then pick something special from their heart to write a personal narrative or personal story about. Basically, "A Map Of My Heart" is a heart drawn on paper with lines in it like a puzzle. The students are to write in each puzzle piece things that are important to them in their lives (i.e. mom, my toys, my dog, Spongebob cartoons etc.) This heart can be used for weeks to come & can give young writers ideas to write about. It kinda eliminates the "I don't know what to write about" comment. Teach the kids to pick something from their heart and write a special "small moment" story about that person or thing. This would be definately great for Open House night. Some stories might even be funny for the parents to read.:D

7. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I was an assistant teacher in a second grade classroom last year (and have my own class this year!), and the teacher always had great writing assignments. The first day of school she had the students write what they DIDN'T DO on their summer vacation, encouraging them to use their imaginations. So a student might write, "I didn't go to the moon on the back of my dog on my summer vacation..." or "I didn't sky dive from the space shuttle on my summer vacation..." The students then illustrate what they've written.

The next day, she does part II--what they DID do. So this part would start like this: "...but I did go to Martha's Vineyard and swim at the beach every day." Then the student illustrates that as well.

In our classroom, these turned out extremely well, and the parents LOVED them.

I'm definitely using it in my classroom this year.

Good Luck!

8. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

These are such great ideas! Thanks for the help. :)