Back to school themes for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by TeXaStEaChEr05, Jul 16, 2008.

1. TeXaStEaChEr05

TeXaStEaChEr05 New Member

Jul 16, 2008

Hello. I'm the grade chair for 5th grade this year, and I was wondering if anybody had any wonderful ideas for a theme...it has to be for the entire 5th grade. We decorate the halls, etc., and we use it in our classrooms as well. We generally keep it up all year long...I really had a motivational theme in mind. We also do AR and give awards to students for keeping up with their required points, etc. Any ideas? Please help...Thanks so much:confused:

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

I am using a sports theme again this year with my kids. This could easily be used by a whole grade level.

Other ideas might include...
    ~Ocean theme. Bulletin board could have something like "An ocean of learning takes place here!" Each classroom could concentrate on different oceanic life.
    ~NASCAR or racing theme: BB could be "Racing to Success in 5th Grade"
    ~Zoo theme: Each room could choose a different animal. The hallway could have a main bulletin board with the title of "It's a ZOO in here!"
    ~Stars- each classroom could be a different color. There are TONS of darling bulletin board sets as well as notepads in this theme.
    ~BUGS: BUZZING into 5th Grade could be a good bulletin board.
    ~Character Education
    ~COLORS: Each teacher choose a color to use for his/her displays. Have a main bulletin board created by having students trace around each of their hands from construction paper in a variety of colors. Arrange the hands in a rainbow/arch in the hall.
    ~Travel theme or Hollywood: There are several people doing this theme this year. Seach for it (using AtoZ's feature).

Hopefully something here will spark your imagination.

With any these themes, you could make a cut-out and write each students' name on it. Students could decorate different hats to place on top for the different seasons/holidays.

4. june27

june27 New Member

Jul 19, 2008

Here a few that I've used:
    "Our School is Wild About Learning" using anything Wild as part of the theme. Think jungle, zoo animals....
    "Racing Towards Excellence" We used racing cars for everything. This was also the year the Disney movie Cars was showing so we tied this into our theme as well.
    CLASS THEME: “THE MOVIES” or "HOLLYWOOD"
    *FOR THE BORDER USE FILM DIE CUT IN BLACK OR CUT CIRCLES IN NEON YELLOW & NEON ORANGE , WITH THE ORANGE SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE YELLOW . PLACE YELLOW ON TOP OF THE ORANGE. USE THE SAME YELLOW PAPER TO DIE CUT STARS FOR STUDENTS’ NAMES.
    *TITLE: “NOW STARRING IN MRS. M……….…’s CLASS”
    FANTASTIC 5TH GRADERS
    *USE MOVIE CLAPBOARD(from Oriental Trading) AS CENTER PIECE OF BULLETIN BOARD, UNDER IT OR ON IT WRITE :
    “PRESENTING…”
    *PIN STARS WITH STUDENT NAMES AROUND BULLETIN BOARD
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE OCEAN/SEA LIFE
    MAIN BULLETIN BOARD HEADING: “FINDING (NEMO) FIFTH GRADERS”
    USE A “NEMO” FISH AS CHARACTER FOR BB; MAKE A GIANT FISH BOWL OR AQUARIUM USING CELLOPHANE OR PLASTIC WRAP WITH LARGE “NEMO” FISH INSIDE. LABEL FISH DIECUTS OR GRAPHICS WITH THE STUDENTS’ NAMES. HANG LABELED FISH FROM CEILING WITH FISHING LINE. SO THAT THE FISH DON’T CURL AS THEY HANG, I GLUE THEM TO USED CDs THAT I GET IN THE MAIL.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    “HANG ON TO GOOD CHARACTER”
    *Make 1 cloth or construction paper t-shirt for each character trait & hang on a clothesline.
    T-shirts may be created on computer& printed on a 2 x 2.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    “LOOK WHO’S WORKING HARD”
    MAKE A PAPER TREE. DUPLICATE OWL & LEAVES PATTERN FOR STUDENTS TO COLOR & LABEL. (DIE CUT LEAVES CAN BE USED) PIN LEAVES & OWLS ON TREE WITH STUDENT’S BEST WORK.
    I use computer graphics and diecuts alot. They save time and money.

5. TeXaStEaChEr05

TeXaStEaChEr05 New Member

Jul 19, 2008

Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I'll run them by the other teachers, and we can decide. You've got some really good ideas.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 19, 2008

You could do A road to success. Put street signs and what not. I like most of the other ideas posted as well.

7. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

My theme in my classroom this year is "We are STARS!" I think this would be an easy theme to do with a whole grade level.

8. Texas Teach

Texas Teach New Member

Jul 26, 2009

travel theme?

I like this idea for 5th grade. can anyone give ideas for it?
    thanks

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

You could do travel through different countries

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

As far as the travel theme there are a couple of BB sets with allkinds of Road Signs etc. We were departmentalized last year so three of us used this theme. The Social Studies teacher had license plates, some were from a BB set, some were real, some were photo copied and had something like "Traveling through the States" I can't remember exactly what else was done, I'll ask in a couple of days. I had Bible so mine was "God's Word will never lead you in the wrong direction!" Another idea ia "4th grade headed in the right direction" There are car cut outs that are plain, you could let each student design their own car and then put their names on them. Oh wait I remeber the Language arts teacher did "Oh, the places books can take you" and she had a bunch of color covers of books on it.

We gave out "citations" when having to contact parents. they might be for behavior / failure to turn in homework/ etc. etc.

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I am using Really good Stuff's "Challenge Yourself to Succeed"
    which is extreme sports.

At Walmart, Ebay and other places I found all the extreme sport posters that have sayings at the bottom like possibilities/ Goals/ Vision/ Perseverance etc.

I made a punch card at Vista Print that matches the RGS poster so it is coming together.

I am making a reading corner with chairs, area rug, ottoman and pillows all in bright neon colors. I'm hoping they like it!

12. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Last year I borrowed an idea from another post in this forum regarding the iPod binder (see posts by katenar). Anyway, I downloaded a number of different iPods as image files; on the first day of school I took photos of each of my students; at home, I inserted their pictures on the screens of the iPods, printed them, and put them on the bulletin board outside my door. In the middle, I had a larger iPod that said "We're all connected in 5M". I also used white string to link all the iPods together to the larger one in the centre. It got lots of attention from staff and students alike.

This year, my teaching partner and I both have M at the beginning of our surnames. So I'm thinking something along the lines of M&Ms but haven't fully thought it out yet.

13. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2009

This year we are doing an Oh the thinks we are going to think. At the end we will be oh the thoughts we thought.

Dr. Seuss is all around my room in different ways, the Who's of Whoville are giving book recommendations, My test quiz and project board has a saying on it, Think 1 and 2 are playing at the Writing Game board.

14. 5thPlease

5thPlease New Member

Jul 30, 2009

Any ideas for the 'sports theme'?

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

5th,

You should go to search (look up sports theme) and read through the posts so much has been already written, you will probably get a bunch of ideas!

16. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Aug 23, 2009

Hi... May be a dumb question but.. could I ask why do you come up with a theme for the school year?

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

You could come up with all sorts of reasons, like it unifies the team, unifies the class, makes the environment look appealing, etc., but basically I think we come up with themes and color themes because it's

fun!

18. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

One of the schools that I student taught at had a "Wild About Learning" theme. Each classroom/grade had it's own animal. My classroom's animal was a zebra. It made making bulletin boards fun and easy!