Back to school sales

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Bonnie gr. 2, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 8, 2006

Check out the Staples ad for the week of July 9. 1 dozen pencils for 1 cent, 3 dozen limit. Pocket folders with or withour prongs for 1 cent, limit 15. Small handheld pencil sharpeners for 1 cent, limit 3. There were others too. In-store only.
    Happy shopping! :)

3. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

Too bad I don't have a Staples near me...

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 8, 2006

Coupon required?

I'll have to make multiple trips to get all of the folders I need, but I can do that!

Thanks for the heads up!

5. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I just saw that this morning when I was going through the sales paper. I will definitely be there tomorrow to get some supplies.

6. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 8, 2006

No coupon required. They have plastic pocket folders for 20 cents also.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2006

Once in awhile, if you get the right salesperson, they will let you buy more than the limit if you tell them you're a teacher. I take my kids and we go through the line separately and each buy!

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 8, 2006

thanks a bunch! Are spiral notebooks or composition books on sale?

9. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 8, 2006

There is also a staples sale on line. I found the link through slickdeals.net.

10. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 9, 2006

more about staples

I went this morning for the 1c folders. There are other school supplies "on sale" too - notebooks and such - but it will get cheaper in the weeks to come. The only really good deals were the folders, pencils, and sharpeners. 40c for a 150 pack of looseleaf - I think that usually gets down to 10c for a week in August. I only bought 15 folders, but a lady in the line next to me had well over 100 and they made her do them as separate transactions. It's worth it though if you know what you need. (This will be my first year, so I have no idea yet what I will need...)

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

The composition notebooks were also reasonably priced...not dirt cheap, but I bought some while I was there, anyway. They were 2/$1. That way, I didn't feel silly with a total bill of 21 cents! I went back in three times and got the pencils and folders. I stuff backpacks for disadvantaged kids through our social services dept., and I needed, literally, 50 folders between those kids and my own kids! You can't beat 1 penny each!

I also ran into a bunch of other teachers from my school! How funny are we? Rushing to get the penny school supplies in July!
    Kim

12. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

I went today when it first opened up and it was crowded. I'm so glad they I got they're early. I probably will go back tomorrow to see if they put more stuff out because they sold out of some of the supplies.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2006

I went today too! I only bought 15 folders (1 cent each), 3 pencil sharpeners (1 cent each), a 3-subject coiled notebook($1.49). I also bought 2 plastic 1 inch binders (25 cents each). The binders were cheap but if you live anywhere cold, they will probably crack when you take it outside.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 9, 2006

I've already been to walmart this morning, but had to run to Staples after reading this. The folders at Walmart were 10 cents each. Glue and pks of 2 glue sticks are $.20 and 24 Crayola crayons $.25 at walmart. no limits.

15. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 9, 2006

Office Depot has crayons (crayola) for $0.15 each...limit of five.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 9, 2006

oops, I looked at my receipt...the crayons were .20 Roseart crayons were .10 each, but I don't like those as well. Sounds like Office Depot has the best price, but there isn't one near me.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

OK, I am SO going to Staples tomorrow on the way home from summer school. I always need folders no matter what I end up teaching, and they're great for putting all my application stuff in. ;)

18. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 9, 2006

Added to tomorrows' to do list:

Office Depot
    Staples
    Walmart

And for good measure, I'll also hit:
    Office Max
    Target
    to see if they have their stuff out yet too!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2006

And, for a different type of back to school sale, Kohls has some great clothes on sale! I'm returning to school after 6 years home with the kids, a size larger than when I left. (And to be fair, with a family one child larger too!!) So I'm starting from scratch.

Without opening up the "what to wear" debate again, let me say I like wearing skirts. I got a LOT yesterday for $100-- and if you use your Kohls charge, they'll give you a $10 gift card for every $50 you spend. (I actually had a subtotal of $91, and asked the not-busy cashier to wait while I ran and got a $10 blouse!) One of my skirts was originally $60, ended up on the $10 rack-- with a red tag, making the final cost $5. And, yes, it's something I would have liked (but not bought!) on the $60 rack!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

You did a great job, Alice! Love those sales.

21. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 10, 2006

Office Depot:

24 pack of crayola crayons .15 cents
    glue (thier brand like elmers) .25 each.

22. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 10, 2006

WalMart had pretty good sales. I was wondering if anyone has found any places on the web for good deals on calendars, border trims, etc. I'm a new teacher and I need some of the basics, that you can't get at WalMart. I don't have any educational stores near me.:) :thanks:

23. TeacingnTN

TeacingnTN Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Diasha - Do you have a Dollar Tree near you?? I got die cuts, decorations, bb borders, stickers and more at one local Dollar Tree. I'm a new teacher too and it is nice to get those basics for $1 a piece! You can go to the Dollar Tree's website and search for your zip code to see if there are any in your area.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

I went back to Staples tonight and the only sale things left were folders. The girl at the register showed me next week's sale flyer (but she wouldn't let me have one in case I was a spy for a competitor!) Here's what I remember: Crayola markers ?$, Elmer's glue (not the teeny size) 9c, Mead notebooks 79c, lined paper 10c.

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 11, 2006

do you remember how much the markers were going to be?

I just called and asked the office supply managers what they did with the boxes that have the folders in them (they are pretty heavy duty). He said they just crush them and they already did the ones from yesterday...but that if I stopped by and they had any I was welcome to them...I'll be stopping every day now.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

I can't remember, but I know it was good.

I got one box from file folders. May get more.

27. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2006

I've been to Staples 3 times so far...when I get the max of everything (without the binders), it is only like $.22...And they said I could go through as many times as I want. I'm excited about going back next week!

28. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I posted this on the walmart sale thread, but when I went to Walmart yesterday they had their folders marked $.10, but they rang up for a PENNY! The checker said they are automatically matching Staples sales. The best part was there was no limit, so I ended up buying over 75 folders! Gotta love a good bargain!

29. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I went to Walmart today and in my area they have large pocket charts for $9.99! They also have stand up pocket charts for 6.68. I bought a alphabet line and number line too! They were $4.47. It was in with the regular school stuff. I was so surprised they had teacher stuff! Oh i almost forgot they had welcome banners, and bulletin board border i cant remember how much but pretty cheap!

30. flteacher7

flteacher7 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Lessons Learned at Walmart....

I went to 3 Walmarts today. The first one had no sale folders left. The second one had 1 left which rang up for a penny. Then, on to the third store...I hit the jackpot! Tons of folders! I spent time picking and gathering up about 25 of each color, and triumphantly brought them to the register where they rang up as...10 cents each. I told the cashier that they were supposed to be 1 cent and I had just bought the exact same folders (well, 1) at a nearby Walmart and they rang up for a penny. She said they were 10 cents.

I then went to the customer service section, and the lady looked at me like I was crazy. I told her that several people had bought folders at Walmart for 1 cent (some of my friends here in Florida, and some of you on this website) and she said that not all Walmarts offer the same deals. I told her that this Walmart was only about 10 min. away. Then I asked about matching Staples price and she asked if I had a flyer. Of course I didn't, and I didn't even have the receipt for the 15 folders I had actually gotten at Staples. So...I did not end up getting the folders. What a disappointment - and I had driven like mad to get to these Walmarts on my break from work! :(

Anyway, the moral of the story is...not all stores have the same prices and specials (even if they are all Targets or Walgreens or Walmarts.) The other thing that I learned is that I need to keep my receipts with me during school shopping days in case stores will match competitors prices. Oh well - at least some of you got the folders! :eek:

31. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Walgreens advertised some good stuff today: 5 highlighters for a dollar, 3 packs of index cards for a dollar (best price on those I've seen yet), lots of other stuff. Coupon is required.

Target has a packet of 8 mechanical pencils for sale for a dollar--I sell these to students, so I'm going to stock up now!

For those looking for spiral notebooks--Staples (in the past) has sold packs of 6 spiral notebooks (80 sheets?) for .50. I noticed they had display with these packs, but no price up yet. I can't wait to get those on sale!