Back to School Preparations--How's it Going?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by MzB, Aug 20, 2005.

1. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

How are your preparations for the new year coming? Are you finished? Are you lost? Didn't start yet?

3. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

prep!

I've started, but getting hectic! We just decided to open a second kindergarten class and have no teacher for it yet, so I am now preparing TWO rooms!!! My stress level just sky rocketed!!! Oh well, it'll get done I guess!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 20, 2005

I have started and I still have a lot to do. I am in a new school this year so I have to do more setting up to do! Hopefully this week I will meet with my grade partner.

5. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

I was at my school from 9 am to 9 pm yesterday. My room is "done" as much as I can do, because I'm broke and I had to use what I could make. Only thing is, my air conditioner is leaking, although it still works. And since we have roof units on my side of the building, its leaking from the ceiling. So, of course, the carpet in that area, right by the door, is messed up and FUNKY! We have, like, 5 trash cans collecting water. The rest of the room is nice. The building supervisor called them about it several times, in my presense, and nothing. My principal came in and said the kids can't come in if its not fixed, which is gonna suck big time. I'll probably go back up there tomorrow to do any last minute stuff and whatnot.

Now I just gotta plan :rolleyes: :( :eek: :confused: :angel:

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2005

My room is coming along. I got my room painted this summer, and EVERYTHING had to come off the walls. So now, EVERYTHING has to go back up. The new pale blue paint looks very nice, so I'm definitely not complaining. But I've spent most of my time putting posters back up so far. I actually kidnapped my dad on Friday and took him to work with me. That made things go nice and quick:)

I have a lot of little things left to do now...reorganizing my class library, putting all student materials out, etc. And also finish my bulletin board outside my room- "A Tee-riffic Third Grade!" :) I'm actually hanging paper t-shirts and asking the kids to bring photos on the first day of school to put on the t-shirts:)

A few more days and I should be all ready...(I hope!) but luckily I have till Sept. 6th.

7. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

i'm in a brand-new school building; my ap told me that the three english teachers, including me, will be in the three classrooms next to the library--so i got to see those, but i don't know which one is mine yet. i'm hoping for the one with three big windows, but it will probably be the one with three big, inconveniently-placed doors. :) hopefully i'll find out tuesday, when new teacher training starts... i've got so much stuff filling my apartment until then! boxes of donated composition books, bags upon bags of books for my classroom library, bags and boxes full of teaching books and materials, and tons of school supplies--i've been going a little crazy.

i can't wait to decorate though... just a little nervous as to what will be in my classroom--i hope i'll have bookshelves and a file cabinet! as of the last time i saw the classrooms, they were completely bare...

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2005

Thanks for the idea Leigh, I'm going to "steal" your Teeriffic idea as I'm sending home blank tee shirt patterns on our open house night for families to decorate. That is cute......., if you don't mind me using it :angel:
    We don't need to be back until Tuesday, but went in Thursday befoe too many distractions and got a ton done! We don't start until the first of Sept., so after we are back it will just be organizational work.....labeling, setting up birthday charts, assessment folders, etc. I feel much better getting the housekeeping stuff out of the way.

9. dee

dee Companion

Aug 20, 2005

Leigh,

I do the t-shirts as a project for my students on the first day of school. I have them decorate their t-shirts while I collect supplies from the students. We have a digital at school, so I take each student's picture outside my door. I always leave a circle in the middle of the shirt and tell them not to decorate in the circle. I then place the t-shirts on the clothesline outside my room. Last year, I used the phrase "Check Out This Line-up." This year I am using the phrase "Lining Up for First Grade" I have some pictures posted here.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/deehp...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2005

I love the t-shirt idea! Do you just draw a sample t-shirt pattern or did you get a pattern somewhere?

Sarah - good luck with your room! It sounds like you've got a lot to use as soon as you can get in your room.

11. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 20, 2005

The tee shirt idea is so cute!

Dee, I love your classroom pictures! I really like how you made your behavior tree. What a great idea! What is the tree made out of?

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2005

I'm so glad you guys like the idea! And yes, you can steal it :) hehe

I printed out a clipart pattern of a t-shirt, but it was fuzzy, so I traced it. Then I enlarged it and made copies. There will be 2 per kids and this is why-

one t-shirt is going on the bulletin board with the kids name and their picture. The students will decorate the other on the first day of school and hang it up in their cubbies to personalize them. :) Thats the plan at least;-)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2005

Dee, I love your pictures!! You just reminded me that I need to go to the dollar store and buy some more clothespins for my bulletin board! :) I can't wait to post pictures of the bulletin board when its all done:)

14. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

thanks missy! sometimes i wish i were an elementary school teacher because you guys get to do so much with your room... then again, i imagine it's a lot more work setting it up! my main tasks will be desk arrangements, organizing things and putting books into the library... after that, my decoration consists of throwing a few rag rugs here and there, sticking a chair, table and lamp in the library corner, and hanging some japanese lanterns from the ceiling. :)

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2005

Sarah,
    Your high school students will really appreciate your efforts to make the room look so inviting and friendly. I have two teen-age daughters, and when I am in their rooms for Open House (about 3 weeks after school starts), many of the teachers have blank bulletin boards without so much as colored paper covering them or even a poster!
    Missy

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 21, 2005

Dee,
    Can you explain your behavior tree?

17. dee

dee Companion

Aug 21, 2005

Thanks to all. I have a t-shirt pattern that came with a packet from my new teach orientation. We did this as an introductory exercise that could really fit older childre. I would have to get my binder at school to tell what all we had to put on it.

My tree is made of thin plywood for the actual tree. I just had some one to build a stand for it, which is made for thicker plywood. The stand is the bottom part that you see, I like it so much more now that it is raised. Last year I just had it propped against the wall.

My behavior plan is that every child's apple start on the tree for the day(S+). When I child misbehaves, he/she has to move their apple to the bottom on warning (S). Move apple again then timeout(S-), another move lose recess time-afternoon detention(N), another move call home (U) and last move is office visit (U). When the apple falls off the tree they have to go all the way to the bottom because the bottom of the tree is wide and I have move students that move their apples one time than to the office. Therefore they are climbing back up the tree. :)

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2005

Don't forget that real t-shirts are only $2 apiece at Walgreens.

Sarah - is this your first year?

Dee - is that just corkboard covering the hallway wall? How thick is it?

19. dee

dee Companion

Aug 21, 2005

Daisy that is wall that it actually like stone. Our maintenance man put screws in the wall for the clothesline to attach to.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 21, 2005

Thank you Dee for explaining your behavior plan.

21. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

yep, it's my first year... i couldn't survive in a classroom that was bare and ugly, not when i'm sure i'll be more or less living there! i hope that i can expect my high schoolers to be respectful of the things i put into the classroom... it's an inner-city school that's supposed to be pretty tough, so i'm a little worried about my japanese lanterns being used as pinatas, etc. (;

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 22, 2005

If you lay down the law right at the start. The student will respect you. Don't put up with anything at first. But at the same time let the students know you care about them.

23. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Aug 23, 2005

that's what i hope to do. :) finally got my official classroom assignment today--i'm busy trying to figure out where i'm going to fit 10 2-person tables in a 24x17 room! it's pretty darn tiny. but i love that i'm right next to the library, have two big windows and two whiteboards. i've just got to find out who to butter up in order to get another bookshelf, because one just ain't gonna cut it. i also hope that my desk, student tables and chairs, and my file cabinet are delivered tomorrow or thursday, so i can start really setting up... :)