Back to School Postcards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lynn M., Jul 8, 2009.

1. Lynn M.

Lynn M. Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I usually send out postcards to my students just before school begins. In the past I have just done the "Welcome to 5th grade". I really need some new ideas. Help!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

Are you planning a theme this year?

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

I usually design a collage of classroom photos in photoshop and print a photocard to send. Here are two that I've done (I blurred out my info because I had posted these on my classroom organization website, but it includes my school info for them to contact me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

Those are great!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2009

How about a guitar with the message 5th Grade Rocks! or Ms. -- Class Rocks! I think the kids would enjoy it between Hannah Montana and Guitar Hero. The pictures could say something like "Backstage Pass".

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Love the pics!

8. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

How early do you send out your postcards? I don't have many suggestions... you could do them on vistaprint and if you have a classroom theme you could tailor it to that. A picture of you might be nice on it too so they know who to expect. =)

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 9, 2009

Absolutely love this idea.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

Last year I did a mystery theme and sent out postcards to the 'New Agents of Room 102' I invited them to the briefing (open house) so they could get the 'lay of the land'. I went on to inform them they would be collecting clues to solve math mysteries, exploring history with some of the best... etc.

I had one student who told me he couldn't wait to start 5th grade just because of that card! Success!

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 9, 2009

I don't do a theme in my room but I create a tri-fold brochure entitled
    "Next Stop 2nd Grade"
    Station #105
    Engineer: Mrs. XXXXX

There are railroad symbols on the pages, plus a train on the front. Each page of the brochure gives information about the class, needed supplies, what we'll be studying, and when to report. I print it out in color on the laser printer. It's included with the letter the school sends out to my incoming students. (saves me postage)

12. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 9, 2009

I'm not sending out postcards, but I did order some from Vista Print. I put a poem on it (which I borrowed from another teacher on here) that describes the years using items like pencils, erasers and types of candy (only three pieces, but will ask permission from parents first). I will put the items in butterfly cellophane bags to handout on meet the teacher night.

13. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I wanted to welcome you to Fabulous Fifth grade. This you hint at your theme if you have one. I can't wait to meet you on our first day so get ready for a great year.

Your future favorite teacher,
    Mrs. XXx

However, this year I am at a new school so I am going to send out an introduction letter giving some background but there are clues to about me but the kids have to try and figure out what they are. So for example: my favorite candy comes in an orange/red bag and has the logo printed on each piece, what is it?

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I like to include my website so that they can get a feel of what we will be doing and get a feel for my personality. There's only so much you can fit in a postcard.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Love the pictures and I am so stealing this idea.

16. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I have done postcards in the past and they typically coordinate with my theme - Let's Get Caught Learning (fishnet) - Can't Wait to Sea You! or Caution: Learning Curve Ahead; News from the *** Corral; Coming Attractions Under the Big Top...

Interestingly, I have had students keep their postcards in their desks all year. They will find it later in the year; it makes me smile that they cherish them.

This year..... I am also stealing the pix idea! One year I had to go to a training/pd conference out of town and missed the registration day prior to school starting when students can come to meet their teachers. I had the other teachers covering for me hand out a letter for students (western theme that year) about how I had to go out of town to learn some new things to make our year even better...I was sorry to miss meeting them but my horse could only travel so far in one day....the closing was: Your saddle-sore teacher...