Back to school parent information packet

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 17, 2006.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

What do you put in your parent information packet? Does anyone have an example that they would like to share? Thank you!:)

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I type out a letter introducing myself and a brief overview of what we will be covering during the year. They get a more specific curriculum about a month later. I also type up my first monthly newsletter and hand that out as well. The school sends home a huge packet of paperwork to be filled out, so I try to keep things short and simple.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I have a brochure that has a welcome letter and basic information about my classroom (basic procedures for adults who visit, pick-up and drop-off procedures, phone number of the school, my email address, and my website address). A copy of the supply list, and a traffic map for the parking lot. I also hand out the district student handbook, and the volunteer handbook.

The school has so much other information that they pass out for open house, that I try not to put too much more. Any forms that need to be filled out are also with this packet.

5. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

teacherbell, if you will give me your email address, I can email you my parent information packet. I don't have the ability to link attachments yet. I teach third grade if you are interested.

6. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 17, 2006

amelie77, could you email it to me also? This will be my first year teaching 3rd. My email is cinaminsweet (at) aol (dot) com. Thanks!

7. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

I could use a copy too my email is sims87 at comcast dot net.

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

In addition to all the school stuff that goes home, I send a letter introducing myself and what to expect this year and form for parents to fill out for my files. The form includes student name, birth date, address, phone number, way home from school, if child lives with mom, dad, or both parents, allergies, work phone numbers for parents, email address, and a place for comments. I keep these forms in a three ring binder.

9. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Would you send me your packet also? I am trying to get mine ready. adkimmel at yahoo dot com

10. TeacingnTN

TeacingnTN Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Could I get a copy of it too?? My email is teachingintenn (at) yahoo (dot) com. Thanks!!

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

if you have time i'd love a copy of your 3rd grade packet! lcluigs03...at...yahoo
    Thanks a bundle!
    LC

12. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Can you send me a copy too? It will be my first year teaching. My e-mail address is dpk37 at hotmail dot com

13. darzie

darzie Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I send home a Welcome letter the first day. About a week later, we have a Curriculum Night where I pass out a packet of information to the parents. I'd love to see a copy of yours! My email address is darzie@comcast.net

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

I'm going to send home a paper with "In a million words or less, tell us about your child." Since I have to translate to Spanish as well I thought this would make life really easy and I am curious if this open-ended approach will work better than the survey style I've sent home in the past.

You can read more about this idea here: http://www.middleweb.com/MWLISTCONT/MSLmillionwords.html

In addition, I'll have my syllabus for students and was thinking of having parents sign it but don't want to translate and use my copies for the whole thing to be in Spanish and don't think it is fair to have a spanish-speaking person sign something they don't understand so I think this is what I am going to say:

Dear parents,
    Another exciting school year is underway. As one of my Successful Scholars, your child will be focussing their math studies on proportional relationships, operations with decimals, fractions and integers, and statistical meansurement. I extend an open invitation to communicate any questions or concerns you have throughout the year. Please ask your child to show you their Math binder. Here, you will find, among other things, a class syllabus giving more specific information.
    (Will put a short bio here)
    Below, I have an "assignment" for you. Please share anything great, wonderful, terrible, and fantastic about your child so that I can learn the special things that make you so proud of him/her. Fell free to write a lot or a little. The assignment is "due" on Monday, August X. I look foward to working with you to ensure a successful academic journey for your child!
    (contact info here)
    (signature here)

In big bold letters (so they don't miss it) Your Assignment:

"In a million words or less, please tell me about your child."

15. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

sample of mine...feel free to give suggestions!

Dear Parents/Guardians of Students in Room :

Hello! My name is Ms. Ramirez-Uriarte and I am very happy to welcome your child to Fourth Grade. This is my second year at Mason Academy and am excited about having your child as my student. Just to tell you a little something about myself...I have lived on the south side of Chicago all my life. I graduated from Davis Elementary School and Kelly High School, both or which are Chicago Public Schools. I earned my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education from Northeastern Illinois University. I am a parent of a three year old, a nine year old. Now let’s move on to more important stuff! (they feel comfortable knowing that i am a product of the same school system AND that i am a parent)
    I am seeking your help in making this year a successful one for your child. I believe parent participation is vital to student success. Parents are welcome to visit and participate in class anytime throughout the school year. I will keep in contact with you through newsletters, phone calls, and letters. Feel free to contact me if you would like to visit, volunteer, or have questions or concerns. Also, I am available for conferences from 8:30am - 8:45am, except for days when I am attending a meeting.

Below you will find some important information about class rules, homework policy, expectations and grading policy. If you have any questions about any of this, please do not hesitate to call me at the school.

GRADING POLICY
    The numeric grading and the meanings of the grade codes are as follows:
    100 - 93 A
    92 - 86 B
    85 - 78 C
    77 - 70 D
    Below 70 F

Grades are given based on this scale:
    Tests/Quizzes 40%
    Class Work 30%
    Homework 15%
    Participation 15%

HOMEWORK POLICY
    In accordance with CPS policy, your child will be assigned homework every night during the week. It is suggested that the amount of time per day for 4th graders is 50 minutes. ALL homework assignments will be checked for completion and graded.

CLASSROOM RULES
    1. Respect yourself, each other and staff
    2. Act in a polite manner
    3. Listen carefully and follow directions
    4. Be present, prepared, and on time
    5. Raise your hand and wait to be called on before speaking

STUDENT EXPECTATIONS
    In our room, students are expected to:
    ▸ raise their hand to speak
    ▸ be kind and respect each other
    ▸ keep hands, feet and objects to themselves
    ▸ walk, don’t run, in the classroom and halls
    ▸ keep our room neat and clean
    ▸ listen when a teacher or classmate is speaking
    ▸ respect the opinions of others
    ▸ follow directions
    If a student chooses to follow rules and try their best they will earn points, which are redeemable for special coupons and privileges.

PARENT EXPECTATIONS

Parents/Guardians of students in room 348 are expected to:
    ▸ reinforce appropriate behavior standards and study habits
    ▸ make sure your child maintains good attendance
    ▸ promote self-esteem and self-respect to your child
    ▸ support the Chicago Public Schools and Mason Academy’s policies
    ▸ create a quiet learning environment at home
    ▸ stay informed and involved in your child’s education

SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST
    The list of supplies is on the next page. Please try to have these supplies available for your child.

I would like to thank you for your time and hope to meet you soon. Once again, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, please call me to the school 773-534-xxxx, or send a note with your child.

16. hubley22

hubley22 New Member

Jul 18, 2006

Amelie77-I know everyone is asking but if you have time and don't mind I would also love a copy of your packet. Thanks! My email is hubley22(at)yahoo(dot)com.

17. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Okay, I have emailed the Parent Information Packet to the moderator, and she will try and post it on this thread tonight. I hope it is helpful for everyone! Feel free to use my ideas- that's what all good teachers do, right? I am going to be making a few changes to my packet this year, and adding more information about our curriculum.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

OK, here it is. Hope it helps everybody! :)

19. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

carnet73,
    Thank you so much for sharing. It looks great!!

20. Pre-Kteacher

Pre-Kteacher New Member

Jul 18, 2006

amelie77 and carnet73,
    Thank you for the information packet, it will help me so much. I am also new to the site and I am loving it. It is very informative and the members are helpful. Thank you again.

21. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

4th Grade

*I start with a letter introducing myself and welcoming them to my class.
    *Supply List
    *Homework expectations
    *"How to Help at Home" tips
    *Dress Code
    *School Calendar
    *Information form (torn out and returned to me)

22. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

This year I will attach a form for the parents to sign and return so when problems arise, I can refer to the packet that they signed off on!

23. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 19, 2006

Thanks for sharing!

24. SCTeacher

SCTeacher New Member

Jul 20, 2006

Back To School Packet

amelie77 I was wondering if you could send me the packet as well! It sounds great! My address is rebeccacook@comporium.net

Thanks!

25. SCTeacher

SCTeacher New Member

Jul 20, 2006

amelie77 I was wondering if you could send me the packet as well! It sounds great! My email address is rebeccacook@comporium (dot) net

26. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

SC, check back with post #17 on this thread. They have attached the file so you can open it directly from this site. :)

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showpost.php?p=226553&postcount=17

27. elroar

elroar New Member

Jul 22, 2006

Packet for Parents

In my powerpoint I place classroom rules and beginning and ending of day procedures, homework procedures, homeroom procedures, grading, supplies list, daily schedule, general schoolwide rules, tests used such as NWEA, MCAs (Minnesota), Star Reading, Star Math.

28. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Does anyone have a first grade packet they wouldn't mine sharing?

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2006

I mentioned what I am covering in the post about a great weight being lifted off my shoulders.

30. hpatty55

hpatty55 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

amelie77, could I please get a copy too...this is my first year teaching third and I really want to start off on the right foot with the parents. My email is hpatty55@hotmail.com Thanks!!