Back To School Night

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by NJTeachElem, Aug 5, 2008.

1. NJTeachElem

NJTeachElem Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

This will be my first year teaching second grade.

I am extremely nervous about Back To School Night. I am worried that the parents will see me as a new teacher who does not know what they are doing.

I want to ask volunteers to come to the room throughout the year for crafts etc, but unsure about how to ask this. I would also like donations of books, pencils, tissues, wipes etc since I have already spend SO much money myself. I do not have a classroom library of my own.

Basically, I do not want to just lecture to the parents on my rules and expectations. I was thinking about making a powerpoint presentation.

I also wanted the parents to leave something for their children in their desks.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thank You!!:eek:

3. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 5, 2008

when i was in elem school, my parents always left a little note in my desk and i thought it was the most special thing in the whole world. so what you have the parents leave behind -- doesn't have to be huge...

:)

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

A PowerPoint would be appropriate - plus you can add cute graphics for each of your points. As far as volunteering goes, create a form that parents can fill out so they can indicate what days they can be available and what areas they are interested in. Ask what special talents your parents have - you may be surprised! You can also add a line saying donations of tissues, wipes, etc., will be gratefully accepted. Good luck with your first assignment! :)

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I have the kids do a cute activity like with the kissing hand, or write cards or notes for their parents. I have an outline and a short packet that I give to parents to overview procedures and the curriculum. I also have the parents fill out a cloze paragraph for thier kids to read the next day. PM me with your email address and I will send all the documents to you :)

6. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Aug 5, 2008

At my school we have "Back to School Night" which occurs within the first couple weeks of school. This is basically a 30 minute "meeting" when the parents come at night to meet the their child's teacher(s).

I use a powerpoint presentation to basically show what a "typical" day in our classroom would be like. Within this presentation, I make sure to include a picture of each student. I start from the very beginning of the day basically showing our schedule through pictures of their children.

I also make sure to include things like pictures of our textbooks, pictures of our homework folder & weekly work envelopes, behavior cards, samples of beginning/end of year reading and writing samples & any other items that aren't necessarily on the daily schedule, but I want the parents to have a visual of so they know what I or their child is talking about.

I've never included pictures of classroom items I'd like donated, but that would be a good idea! As would including a section on classroom volunteers. I've always discussed it, but I've never had powerpoint slides for these. Gotta work on putting those in!

Some years if I'm feeling bold enough I let them know that teacher gifts are not necessary, but if they really want to get something then items for the class or gift cards to teacher supply/office supply/Target/etc. stores are appreciated.

I love using the powerpoint presentation because it takes the focus & the "eyes" off of me & the parents love seeing the pictures of their kids in the classroom setting.

I also pass out a packet that they can read thru at their leisure which includes much of the information that I went over in the powerpoint presentation.

The day of "Back to School Night," I have the kids write a little note to their parents telling them what they want them to be sure to look at while they're in the classroom.

Then at night, I have the parents write a little note to their child that they leave on their desk to find the next morning. (If no one showed up for a student, then I write a little note to them so they're not left out.) This is a great time filler for the parents to do while they're waiting for you to start your presentation &/or at the end while others are asking questions.

Hope this helps!

7. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Another thing that's great about the powerpoint presentation is that I can use it year to year. All I need to do is take new pictures & insert them into the appropriate places.

I have a list of the types of pictures I need and start shooting those pix the first few days of school & cross off the names of my students to make sure everyone is equally shown in the presentation.

8. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

4alicat---I LOVE all of your ideas! I will definintely use them. This year's Back-2-School Night is going to be awesome! Thanks!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I have a very relaxed open house/back to school night. I always have a table of snacks, coffee and tea for the parents. Then I have a table with all of our books for them to look at. I have stuff on the walls that the kids have done so far. And that's about it. I kind of just walk around and chat with them. I might make a super short speech, but I have copies of our handbooks out for them to take (oh yes-a table with business cards, handouts, etc.). I have a form that they can fill out to volunteer, and a sign-in sheet. If you would like to request items, you can create a 'giving tree' on your board. Draw a tree, and apple post-it notes. Stick them all over the tree, with items you would like to receive written on them. Parents can take the notes and donate the items. It's a cute way to ask for things, without looking greedy. I do this at Christmas, too, with ornaments.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

Oh, another idea that I loved was to collect family recipes from kids for desserts, and then make them for the open house as a class. So during the day, do your reading/math/science/social studies lessons about those desserts (reading recipes, fractions, chemistry of ingredients and family culture), and make them as you go along. Then have the desserts out with recipes for the other parents to take home. I've heard this is a huge hit, and might do this with my kids this year.

11. NJTeachElem

NJTeachElem Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Thank You for all of your suggestions!!!