Back to School Night Scared

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by AnnNorCal, Aug 23, 2014.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

I'm nervous for back to school night. I have 10 minutes with each class. It seems like a lot of time. I can cover everything in about 5 minutes. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. I am dreading it, the parents just make me nervous:(

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2014

You have to do a presentation? You could ask if the had questions. (Every back to school night I've done is just basically an open house where parents/families can drop by at any time and meet the teachers.)

4. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Yes, we have to do a powerpoint presentation:(

5. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 23, 2014

I think I am going to try to have a little extra time at the end of my presentation this year to meet parents. I have to give a presentation but the parents I have met just really want to meet the teacher. I hope this year to give my required presentation and then allow a bit of time so I can at least individually greet all the parents.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

The time flies by, trust me. If there is something that you are truly enthused about, let that enthusiasm carry you. I have always found 10 minutes not enough. Good luck

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

10 min shouldn't be too bad. I teach elementary, but my back to school night was a 50 minute presentation, and believe it or not, the time flew! I teach self contained though so there is a lot to cover.

The presentation should actually help you! It will help anchor your thoughts and hopefully keep you from forgetting to share information with parents.

Include curriculum, procedures, grading, homework, etc etc...

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 24, 2014

That's "meet the teacher" here, which is a separate event from back to school night. BTS night occurs in the second week of the year.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2014

It's not too bad. I always have an example activity like one I give the students for the parents to do if there's extra time.

As for content, I generally just quickly run through the goals of the course and the syllabus, detail how I do home communication of grades and behavior, and review a little bit of the fostering growth mindsets thing I've been trying to do with students.

Generally, I'm rushing to get through it all to have enough time for the parents to do the activity.

My biggest problem is shooing the parents away afterwards so I can take care of the next batch. They all want to have detailed conversations about their experiences in science class, and they all have to make the obligatory comment about how I look like one of the students. :mellow:

10. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Aug 24, 2014

Be careful with letting them ask too many questions. This is not the time nor the place to discuss their children in detail, or to get cornered by any particularly outspoken parents.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2014

My old school had both- back to school night to meet the teacher and an open house a few weeks in.

New school doesn't have both. Our union contract doesn't allow for it.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

Is this for high school? At my kids' high school the Open House was set up so that you followed their class schedule. There was 10 min. for each class with 3(?) minutes passing time. By the time everyone got signed in, the teacher went over expectations and the syllabus it was almost always time to go. Maybe time for 1 or 2 questions or some general chit chat, getting to know the teacher type of thing.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

My old school had one. I talked a little about myself, then the overview of the course, and then I talked to parents individually.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

Would you be able to pass out an information sheet so they can write down their phone #s, email address, best way/time to reach them, etc? This will come in handy later in the year. If a parent doesn't show up you can mail it to them or send it home with the student. That might take up a few minutes!

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2014

I created a website this summer so I'm hoping to just go through it on Open House Night. I have each content area broken down with curriculum info as well as other pages devoted to homework policy, contact info, schedule, etc... I will give parent my site address so they can read through sections as needed at home. I think going through my content pages will take the better part of 40 minutes. I ask that questions and concerns be sent via email (This gives me documentation and prevents THAT parent from getting the crowd stirred up!)

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2014

We have 12 minutes per class period. I've got a PowerPoint and a well-rehearsed presentation that takes up that time. As has been pointed out, this isn't the time for in-depth conversations about particular students; I just want parents to see who I am and get an idea of what we do in class.

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2014

We have 10 minutes, with parents following their child's class schedule. I get extremely nervous for back to school night, because talking in front of a room full of adults scares me. It definitely does get easier though. Make sure you plan what you are going to say in the 10 minutes and rehearse. I rehearse in front of my husband a lot before Back to School night. I always wear a suit and heels on back to school night. I look young, so it helps me feel confident, which is the most important thing.

It usually goes by pretty quickly. I tell parents a little bit about me, go through the syllabus, and then talk about my teaching style/philosophy. I leave about 3 minutes for questions, but I have something else I can talk about if no one has any questions. I like to have a powerpoint to stay structured. If parents want to talk about individual students, I set up times that we can meet, but I don't do conferences that night.

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 25, 2014

One tip I got from a good teacher at my last school is to just take a ton of pictures of your classes and load them up onto a PowerPoint. Parents love to see their kids in action. If a parent wants to talk to you about specifics of their child, have a sign up sheet ready for them to sign up for a conference. They usually decide it isn't that important that they need to come in again!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2014

10 minutes doesn´t seem very long (just in my opinion). After an introduction, perhaps you can share your class website, take questions and then you´d be done.