Back to School Night Blahs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 27, 2008

I had back to school night tonight and although I was well prepared (power point, info packets, etc.) I just felt like I couldn't keep my voice from shaking, I felt rushed for time to finish expaining everything, and I just didn't feel like I showed a lot of confidence. I just wish it went better than it did. I hope that my lack of confidence in front of the parents doesn't set a negative tone for their opinion of me. I want them to have confidence in me as a teacher. Thanks for letting me vent!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

They were probably just as nervous as you were. Don't worry. I've always kinda thought it was more important to do a good job every day and it's really how you finish up that counts.

4. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I am sure you did just fine. Don't worry, Hoot Owl was right, they were just as nervous!

5. spar24

spar24 New Member

Aug 28, 2008

Don't worry

It sounds like you did a good job, and the parents should all understand because i bet they were all just as nervous as you was. Also you will be able to be more confident as the years goes on, and you can show them how talented you truly are. :2up:

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I have my first back to school night this Tuesday and I am terrified. I have practiced over and over to my poor husband who says it is great but I worry about that first impression. Then I recall the three back to school nights I went to for my daughter over the last 3 years and I remember how nervous her teachers seemed. It did not effect my opinion of them one bit, in fact, it reassured me that they would be great BECAUSE they were nervous; it showed me they cared!! What did leave an impression on me was the classroom environment, the effort she put into being prepared for open house, and was she open to questions and comments from the parents or did she seem to want to get out of there? From your post, it seems you made a very good impression, so be proud and get ready for a great year!!

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks for cheering me up! I never even thought that being nervous could give them the impression that I cared. I was thinking that my lack of confidence gave the impression that I didn't know what I was talking about. I was prepared, though, with an informative packet and power point. So, I at least owe myself that!