Back-to-school lunches

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I'm wanting to take more fun, interesting, and delicious sandwiches or easy pre-made things for lunch this year that won't be hard to make, I can make ahead of time, but will still be nutritious for me and baby :) I figured that after all the food talk lately my good friends here on AtoZ might help me with some new ideas :) Fire away!

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

Let's see - you could make tomato & mozzarella salad. Or I just starting eating Morningstar black bean burgers. Yum! Turkey & romaine wraps... grilled chicken wraps... bring fruit salads...

4. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

This will probably seem boring to you, but my fave is natural peanut butter with a good jam on fresh whole wheat bread. Easy to make, healthy, and easy to store.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

How about homemade soups or chili's? I bought one of those little thermoses for my daughter, I fill it with boiling water and let it sit for about 5-10 mins. put my hot soup in it and it is still hot at lunch time.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

There is a great book called Vegan Lunchbox. It is full of interesting ethnic recipe ideas. Lots of yummy soups and stews that do well in thermos and bento box ideas.

My favorite lunch is sushi. I keep a container of matchstick veggies in the fridge, then all I have to do is cook up fresh rice the night before, then roll them up.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

i like to get a rotisserie chicken, then make southwest salads for lunch - lettuce, tomato, black beans, carrots, corn, chicken, sour cream, salsa, olives and some tortilla strips. mmm

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I knew someone else would beat me to saying this, but wraps are quicker to make & tk up a little less room in your bag. Throw in whatever you want to put & roll it up. You can even spread PB & J on the flour tortilla & roll it up!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

I'm hooked on the Greek style yogurts- chobani is one brand...thicker and less 'sour' than traditional US yogurts...Really nice with some fresh fruit and a sprinkling of granola.

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I totally struggle with packing a lunch. I think I am moody with my food, and by the time lunch rolls around I don't want what I packed!

I like leftover Chinese takeout for lunch!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I love Chobani. So thick and yummy. Out of all the Greek yogurts I've tried, this is the one I like best.

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

Leftovers! Pack your lunch as you are putting away dinner!

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Thanks for all the great ideas! Keep them coming please. I typically do take my leftovers for lunch. I'm just thinking about those days when I don't have any to take. I tend to just buy from the school. It typically isn't very expensive but I have a habit of forgetting to pay at the end of the month and slowly it adds up. I had to write 2 hundred dollar checks this year from charging.

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

One of my favorite mid week lunch time treats is a lowcarb wrap

1 lc tortilla
    1 wedge of Laughing cow cheese ( garlic and herb)
    1 100 calorie pack wholly quacamole
    Deli Ham
    shredded cheddar cheese
    lettuce
    tomatoe

YUM!! And, I have to say it is very fillling and hits all those spots on the tongue!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I started making hummus wraps. I take a low-fat/high fiber tortilla, spread on hummus and add veggies like broccoli slaw mix. Just roll up and eat!

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

This is my stand-by lunch and I usually roast up a couple red peppers and add them to it all week. Or I add grilled zucchini. Hummus is so cheap and easy to make. I have been adding lots of parsley and a tiny bit of mint to mine lately since I have both of those growing.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

Ooh, Molly! Can you share your recipe for hummus? I've tried several but they never come out right.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

The hummus wraps sound lovely - but it's not super soggy?

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I just bring a small container full of hummus with me and spread it on when i'm ready to eat lunch. I don't know how it will hold if you pre-make it.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

I use the plain recipe from Veganomicon. It is very simple and creamy. You can easily add whatever you like to make it mild, spicy, flavored, etc. This is by far my favorite recipe because it is so versatile. When I make it, I add tons of regular and smoked paprika and go easy on the garlic and cumin. Hummus can be trial and error. I suggest making it slow, adding lemon juice and olive oil in small amounts and taste often. I love lemony hummus, so I put quite a bit in. Sometimes I make lemon dill hummus <glares at near dead dill plants on balcony>, sometimes I do sundried tomato and basil, etc.

See if this link works:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tjN8uJETBpIC&pg=PT88&dq=veganomicon+hummus&client=safari

My hummus is fairly thick so it doesn't make a sandwich soggy by lunch time if the wrap is thick or I make it on foccaccia. I use the Ezekial sprouted wheat wraps. If you really hate any sogginess, just keep it in a little container and spread it on at lunchtime.

21. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Everyone seems to be talking about wraps. Where do I find good whole wheat tortilla?? I just got one from Trader joe's and I find it pretty dry.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

Mmm. Really want hummus now. Thanks!!

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

I like the Ezekiel sprouted wheat wraps. They are usually in grocery store health food freezer sections. Some delis have square flat breads too; those are nice for soggier sandwich fillings.

24. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

Buster (my dog) and I love hummus and carrots! We snack on them all the time. So delicious!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

My dog seems to like hummus too. He was begging me for some the other day and I didn't think he'd like it. I was eating it with crackers and carrots but he spit out the carrot LOL. He only likes cooked carrots.

26. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

Funny, my dog loves raw carrots. I read somewhere that raw carrots are a good snack for dogs (and humans) because they are cold and crunchy. I guess your dog has a more sophisticated palate!

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I like to make up a big batch of some kind of salad in a big bowl and take it to work and just eat off of it all week.

These are some of my faves...

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...s/pot-sticker-salad-00000000000671/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ean-tuna-panzanella-00000000000706/index.html

http://carolmehl.wordpress.com/2009...ngs-pasta-salad-wblue-cheese-walnuts-arugula/

Or one I made up myself - cooked Rotini, shredded or sliced up grilled or rotisserie chicken, black beans, salsa, ranch dressing, shredded cheese, onion and garlic if I have it.

I will make one of these up and put it in my big glass pyrex bowl with the lid, and it will last me all week. Most of them taste best after that have sat for a couple days. And they are all good cold or warm, so if I am tired of it one way, I will have it the other way.