Back to school is SO SOON-- Wake Up times?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 13, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

Hey kids--

Well not SO SOON but in a few weeks. Since ESY let out I have fallen into this horrid pattern of staying up until 3 and sleeping until 11:00! I get up in the school year at 5:00 am! (I do hit the snooze a bit). I am trying to do this year without coffee!-Hard I know but it is HORRID on my stomach these days. I try to leave my house so even if I catch a late bus (They come about every 10-15 mins on the route I take) that I will be at school 15 mins before teachers have to be there giving me at least 45 mins to set up before the kids walk in. Anyway here is the question.

Do you quit sleeping in cold turkey, ease back into waking up early (like waking up 30 mins a day until you get to bam 5:00 am) Or are you one of those people who manage to wake up at the same time EVERYDAY even weekends and holidays because the doctors say it is better for your sleep pattern?

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

chicagoturtle: Lol, I thought I was the only one dong this!! I am having the same problem. I have been staying up the same hours as you, and I start teaching next month as well. I personally don't do so well "easing" back into s decent sleep pattern. If I don't have a reason to get up super early (5:30AM for me when school starts) then I will not get up until later. However, I do notice that once I get into a groove, that even on the weekends I can't "sleep in" much past 7:30 or 8:00AM. I am just going to try and start going to bed early a few days before I must get up @ 5:30, that's the only way it'll work for me. Good luck on quitting coffee. I can't fathom that, I gotta have my cup-a-joe in the morning! :p

4. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Interesting topic!!
    I am that annoying person who gets up like clockwork each day at twenty to 6. My body just wakes up! All summer, this has been the time I wake up. Whether I stay up til 1:30 or go to bed at 10, I'm up at the same time.

It will be nice to have something to have to go do in a few weeks.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

I have been wanting to get up earlier to get myself in a better routine, and guess what. I didn't do it! School starts tomorrow!! The preschool doesn't start till next week, but I have a daughter in elemen, here and I have inservice this week. I am sure the "grumps" will hit about Wed afternoon!

6. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

It will be nice having something to do! I am about to go stir crazy. My husband is counting down the days until school starts....me being at home all day with nothing to do but clean and rearrange the furniture is driving him bonkers.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Last school year I got up at 5:30, but I think I'll get up at 5:00 this year. My body rarely let me sleep in this summer, although I wasn't waking up at 5:30. I haven't really had much of a reason to get up early this summer, but my body at least wakes me up at 7 or 8, when I could probably sleep all day if I wanted to.

8. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 13, 2006

My idea of sleeping in is waking up at 8:30 or 9:00, I rarely sleep past 9. However, the new school I will be teaching at, the students enter the classroom at 7:10 and teachers need to be in their rooms by 6:50. Luckly I'm moving to an apartment complex only 10 minutes or so away. So it's an easy comute. But I figure I'll need to be up by 5:30 or 5:45 the latest!! YIKES!!!

When I was subbing in NY I didn't have to get up till 7 and I had to be @ the elementary school by 8:30.

It's going to take awhile and a lot of coffee to get used to these early hours!!

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Where in NC are you NYS?

10. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

I have to be at school at 7:15 but I usually get there around 6:50 or even 6:30. That means I wake up at five, and like the others said my body is clock work every morning and this summer has been hard since I have nothing to do I wake up so early and I am stir crazy all day!!! My husband can't stand it because when he gets home all I want to do is talk since I haven't talked to a soul all day and all he want's to do is lay down for a little while. I can't wait till tomorrow I will actually have something to do!!!

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Why such early start times in North Carolina? Here we only have those kinds of hours for high school.....do your students do well this early? Maybe you know something we don't.???

12. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 13, 2006

I set the alarm for 5:30, but of course I need to hit a few times. I get up at 6:10 and am usually at school by 7:10. I have a new dog, so I will have to get up earlier so I can get her outside for a walk. I had a meeting last week, so I needed to get up early, took the dog out for a walk and the dog climbed back in bed to go back to sleep. She looked at me like I was crazy for getting up so early!! Boy we are both going to have to get into a groove!!! :)

13. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 13, 2006

lucky me (and dont think i dont appreciate every extra minute) i dont have to be at school until 8:45!
    If I wake up at 7, I can do my hair...if I'm not in the mood, I can wake up at 8.

14. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Not all schools start that early in NC. In the Charlotte area, most schools are on two extremes: early start around 7:10 or late start around 9:15-9:30. My school starts at 7:45. There are definetely pros and cons to both!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2006

How funny, alilisa! They are creatures of habit, too. Unfortunately, I will have to be at school by 7am 2 days a week. I hate that. In the winter it is dark out. I have enjoyed every single minute of waking up late, taking naps, lounging in PJs this summer. I'm very good at it, too.

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 13, 2006

I could not function without my coffee.
    Folgers or Maxwell House makes a coffee now for "sensitive" stomachs. I see the commercial all the time.

Though I did give up coffee for a year when I quit smoking. I wouldn't have been able to quit smoking if I drank coffee because they were a HUGE part of my morning ritual.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

I need to be at school by 7:30 most days once tutoring starts and on duty day (once a week). I plan on leaving at/by 7 every morning though so I'd get there around 7:15 at the latest. I'll probably wake up by 6 am though if I shower in the morning I'll wake up at 5:30.

I use two alarms--my cell phone alarm and a regular one--because I am horrible about waking up when tired.

I've been waking up between 7-8 most days this summer because of my other alarm clock--my dog!

18. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Oh, cold turkey all the way, and hubby is on vacation starting today and I start my early mornings tomorrow! Up at 5am, 40 mins on treadmill, out the door by 7:00, at school by 7:45...

I know darn well my hubby is going to keep me awake with his tv...I may have to kick him out of the room, I am not going to sleep as it is because I am so stressed and nervouse!

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I saw that-- I may have to investigate.

20. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

My plan is to get up at 6, so that I can get myself ready. The boys start the same time as me, so we all have to be ready to go. I am hoping that if I am up at 6, then I can straighten up while they get up, eat, and get ready. Whether or not it actually works will be another story.

21. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 13, 2006

The school I'm at starts at 750, and I have to be there at 715. It's at least a 45 minute drive, so I will be leaving around 6 to make sure I don't hit traffic, and to give myself a few minutes alone in my classroom. The 1st bell is at 715, so kids start coming in then.

22. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

School Year: Up at 5, excercise, out the door no later than 7AM.

Summer: I have five year old and two year old alarm clocks who get up between 6 and 6:30 EVERY DAY! So.....I haven't really been sleeping in all summer!

23. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

I get up at 5 am.. babies wake me up- no need for a clock, here!

I get to school by 6 am, and am teaching by 7:30

24. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 14, 2006

Oh how I've loved sleeping in this summer. Up late and then sleeping in until 10:00 or so most mornings. During the school year I have to get up at 5:30, so for the last few weeks before school starts, I kind of meet in the middle. I've been setting my alarm for 7:30 or 8 most mornings. I'm not sleeping in too much, but not getting up too early either.

25. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

I get up at 4:45, get myself dressed, get the little ones ready (3 and 14 mos.) take them to school and then get to work by 6:45!! WHEWWW....Oh...I've been doing the stay up til 3 thing all summer too. I had to report at 8:30 last year. This year my first class starts at 7:25.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

I get up around 5:30 and leave at 7. That gives me time to shower, eat breakfast, and just have some awake time before heading in to work. School starts at 7:55. (It takes me all of a minute, add half a minut is there's traffic, to get to school.)

27. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

must be nice!

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

wake up times

10 minutes to work...get up between 6 and 6:30 and leave by 7:15.
    Start at 7:30. When I can sleep in, I sleep until 9:30.

29. norogo

norogo Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

In the summer I seem to wake early also, but I have young children too so I am lucky to sleep past 7 with them around.
    When school starts I am going to get up at 5:30, get myself and then kids ready and leave the house by 7:30 the latest.

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, I hate this thinking about getting up at 5:15 again!!!!! I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON!!!!!! That being said, how many hours of sleep do most of you need per night? I get by with 6-7, but find myself getting every bug that comes along when I don't get my 8 hours!!!!

31. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

wow I thought I was getting up early at 6. I can't imagine getting up at 5:30 or earlier! I leave for school which is 35 mins away at 6:30 to get there by 7 or so (the kids come at 8) I like to have that time to get ready, etc. I want to sleep in these last few days before I HAVE to get up early but then again - I want to get up really early so I am tired earlier so that by the time the first day comes I will be sleepy at like 9:30 or 10 pm.

32. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

I get off schedule during the summer. I also stay up until 3 o'clock in the morning and sleep until 11:00. I started school this past week and it has been so difficult. I feel like I'm coming down with something. I get up at 5:30, wake the kids up at 6:15, and leave the house by 7:00. I drop off the kids at 7:30 and rush to my school to be there by 7:45. I swear it is so stressful especially with all the construction and road closures around here.

33. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 15, 2006

School starts at 7:18, and teachers have to be there by 6:45. So I get up at around 5, get ready and go.

34. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

So I thought I could make it cold turkey. I had been sleeping in and doing not 'easing myself' into the early routine. Big mistake. We start at 7:30 this week and when the kids come next week they start at 7:20 so I have to be up at 5 and at school by 7. I'm tired already and it's only the second day! Gross.

35. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

We had our first day of meetings today so I set the alarm for 6:30. I was dismayed to find out that it was still practically dark! Next week when school starts and I start getting up at 5:30, it will still be pitch black outside! That's what makes it the worst!!

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

What I reeeeeeally hate is all winter, it's dark out when I leave and dark out when I get home. It is sooooo pretty out where I live, during the day...so I have to wait for the weekends to see how nice it is in the daytime...

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2006

I agree Grammy; I'm always an early bird and have no problem waking up (was up before my alarm every day but one last year!). It does get to be a bit of a chore always driving to and from work in the dark. I guess I'll have to try not to stay as late every day this year!

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

I'm a real night owl. But when school starts, unless there's a meeting, I won't have to be at work until 9am. But being a new teacher & all, I'll probably arrive at 8am at the beginning of the school year. I only live 10-15 min away, so I'll wake up at about 6:30am at the beginning of the year. After that, I can wake up as late as 7:30.

39. Musica

Musica Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I am pretty good at adjusting to times. I used to get up a lot earlier when I was in HS, then college even because I had a lot of 8 am classes. I was at school at 7:30 for student teaching, but classes at my school now start at 9:25! I am only 5 miles down the road, but I have to factor in "snow" time for the winter

I was talking to my dad on the phone yesterday and he was reminding me of his days of getting up, cleaning the driveway with the snowblower, helping get me and my younger brother ready, take me to the morning sitter before I could go to school, take my brother to day care, then drive to his school on the back country roads 30 miles away and have to be there at 7:30... I told him now that he has been retired for 4 years, my brother starts his freshman year at college in 1 week, and now all he has to worry about is the cat and getting up to beat everyone to the golf course, he can feel like he earned all of that, lol

40. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I am not a morning person at all. The only thing I hate about my job is having to wake up early to get to it. And to me, "early" is anytime before 10 am. During the summer, I would stay up until 3 in the morning or later. I usually wouldn't wake up until 12:30 when The Young and the Restless came on. There were a few times when I wouldn't fall asleep until 7 am and then end up sleeping until 3 pm.

I tried to ease myself back into waking up early, but I couldn't do it, so I just had to go cold turkey. This Monday I had to be to school at 8:00 for teacher prep week. I was awake until 5 am then woke up at 7am. That night I was able to go to bed around 1am. All this week I've been going to bed around midnight and waking up at 7. Next week when school officially starts, I have to be there by 7:45, so I wake up at 6:45 to get ready (showering, dressing, etc.) and am out the door at 7:15-7:20. I eat a quick breakfast (like applesauce or fruit) at school. I don't drink coffee, but I do drink a Coke every morning (and several other times throughout the day! I'm pretty much addicted.)

41. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 19, 2006

I set the alarm for 5:40 and am usually awake before it goes off. I try and be out the door by 6:45 so I can be at work by 7:00. Kids come in @ 7:30 so teachers have to be there by 7:25 (I have some coworkers who are having difficulty with that, I am in a portable and see them pulling in @ 7:30 - 7:40). I taught summer school this summer so the whole month of June was having to be @ school @ 7:30 so I didn't have a chance to get out of my routine since we started back pre-planning the 3rd week of July and school started the 28th.
    Those of you who don't start until 8:00 or 8:30 what time do you dismiss? We are in class from 7:30 - 2:25.