Back to School info

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AZMrs.S, Jul 27, 2012.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

What kinds of things do you send home for parents in a back to school packet? I had made a brochure last year, but I'm not sure if it included enough info. I am also not sure if I can find that file, so I may have to start over anyways. What do you send home! I am thinking I would be giving parents this info at Meet the Teacher night, or if they don't come to that on the first day of school.

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

I outline the standards we will cover, several particular units, grade expectations and basic expectations (reading every night, use of online materials, showing up prepared daily) as well as contact info.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

I usually just stick to the basics. Expectations, homework procedures and policies, my classroom management system, etc.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I always included a questionnaire asking parents about any particular sensitivities the child might have, any prior year problems that might have been unresolved, special needs, etc.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2012

All of the above, plus my contact information.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 30, 2012

All of the above, plus:
    - supply list
    - classroom directory questionnaire so we can have a classroom directory
    - celebrations form (to honor those who don't wish to have their child participate in any class celebration)

8. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

Great ideas! Thanks! How do you organize it? Just make a packet? Or put it all into a folder?

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2012

Oh, and photo/video permission slip!

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I've seen two cute ideas in Pinterest
    1. DIY magnets for the fridge with all your contact info. Print put a page of it with designs and glue to the magnet strips ou can buy at Walmart.

2. Give out a bookmark with a hole pinched in the top and a cute little ribbon or bow with whatever info you want them to have like contact info etc.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I don't have a meet the teacher night before school....our back to school night happens about 2 weeks into the year. I send a welcome letter home in August with my contact info and supply list. On the first day of school, I send home a questionnaire and a "Getting to know the teacher" letter. At back to school night, I give them a business card and business card-sized magnet with my contact info (thank you, vista print!), a packet with our specials schedule, homework policy, behavior policy (this info also goes home the 2nd day of school and comes back signed), an overview of units/curriculum, a class list, and how to access my teacher webpage and our school's virtual backpack. :)

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

I was thinking the same thing....

How many pages do you send home???

Mine turns into a 2 page, front and back, page...and it still seems like too much; but I'm on the side of CMBS (covering my backside)

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

We have open house a few days before school starts, but I do NOT hand out any information that night. The night is crazy enough as it is, and most families have more than one child. I do not want to bombard them with even more information!

About 1 week before open house, I send home a letter introducing myself. In the letter, I tell them what they need to know for the first day of school:
    -Pack a healthy snack every day.
    -Be sure to have gym shoes on these days

I notify them that additional information on classroom routines and expectations will be sent home in weekly newsletters. I inform parents on classroom routines as they are taught to students.

I also include a supply list with my letter, and I specify which items will need to be labeled with the child's name, and which items will be shared with the whole class. I saw a neat "Open House Do's and Don'ts" for free on Teachers Pay Teachers, so I may send something similar home.