Back to School gifts - when to give?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by epatterson, Jul 19, 2007.

1. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

This is the first year we have had a "meet the teacher" day about a week before school starts. Usually we meet our kids at registration. I always give my kids a goody bag with "back to school" stuff in it as a welcome present. Would you give that on meet the teacher day or the first day of school? I am leaning toward meet the teacher because the first day of school is hectic enough. Thoughts?

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

I think meet the teacher day is much more hectic than the 1st day of school!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2007

I would go with the first time you see the students. I didn't write what I was thinking the first time.

5. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

epatterson, What are you giving the students?

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

I would give it the first day of school. Just put it on their desk. What are you giving them?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

I don't know- I'm kind of voting for give it to them on meet the teacher day so they leave with a goodie and are so excited to come back?

8. SweetGaPeach

SweetGaPeach Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

i am giving my bags out on the first day of school because everyone does not come to the meet the teacher. if you want to give something out on meet the teacher just give them a little small token that says thanks for coming. give one to the parent too.

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

I guess it would really depend on what grade you will have. If pre-k, K or maybe even 1st, I think I would do the first night, so that the kiddos that come that night get excited and are ready to come back.

If over K or 1st, I think I would do 1st day.

We usually do pencils, stickers, couple of pieces of candy or snack pack of crackers, etc. I found those glow in the dark bracelets at Michaels and Target. 15 for $1.00. My Target had them 1/2 off--cause they are trying to clean out the dollar section (we don't have teacher stuff out yet in dollar spot :( ).

10. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I am teaching 2nd grade this year. Our school theme is "Under Construction" so I found some really cute plastic construction hats that I am going to fill with gummy tools, pencil, a roll of gum that looks like a wheel, and an inflatable hammer. I found lots of cute construction stuff at Oriental Trading!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I am giving my students a pencil cup with a pencil, eraser, small sharpener, etc.

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

On the first day of school, I always have a "1st grader" (or "2nd grader, depending on what grade I'm teaching that year) pencil on their desk. I also give them a special book mark. Some keep them all year, some lose them before lunch.