Back to school eve.... meh....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 1, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

So you all know that I went through a lot to get a permanent public school position near my hometown. Tomorrow is our first day and I am still not excited. At all. There are a number of factors.

- I am not ready. My room is not 100% (everything but decor is good to go). I don't even have nametags down! I do not feel ready at all! My building was open from 8-3:30 during August and it is alarmed outside of those hours. I worked summer school and my room was used (all the way until the 21st!). Plus, on Fridays, my only day without summer school, I had my niece. My sister works 7-3:30, so that didn't work. Last week I had a day and a half in my room. This was from the point of moving boxes in. I did get a lot accomplished, but I'm still not ready. I still don't even have a parent letter ready. (It is mostly ready, but I'm waiting to hear back about a few school policies. [i.e. latework])

- I have been warned over and over about how difficult this group of kids are. Several subs worked summer school and they all said that they wouldn't have applied for my job if they were certified. I've been told stories about chairs being thrown during observations and other horrible things. (Chairs were thrown in one of the 'best' teacher's rooms.) A specials teacher who is on year 27 in the district said that this is the worst group he's ever seen. Another specials teacher flat out refused to teach my grade level. They have pulled someone from the high school to cover the 6th grade classes.

- I feel a little lost. All of the teachers have been there 15 years or more. I think they forget that they have a newbie. They are nice, but a lot of things are going over my head. I ask a lot of questions, but I'm starting to feel like a nuisance.

There is something else, but I'm forgetting it at the moment. I know most of this is minor, or even hearsay, but I just am not excited. I want to be excited, but I can't get myself pumped up.

Just venting. *sigh* Hopefully it ends up being a great day and I get more excited. I am actually looking forward to getting into a routine. I just don't want to deal with the beginning. If someone could get them started, I'd be happy to take over in two weeks!

(Oh- and to top it all off, my mom called and told me basically how terrible I am since I don't appreciate anything she does for me. She's referring to the fact that I didn't vacuum the room I stayed in while I was living with her. Well, I hadn't vacuumed since I haven't moved everything out of said room yet. I planned on vacuuming it once it was empty. *sigh* She picked an awesome time to lay a guilt trip on me :mad:)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 2, 2014

:hugs: It is NEVER easy to be the newbie, especially in an unfamiliar grade level. I'm dealing with that this year, so I understand!

Hopefully things are so much better than you're expecting. I'm hoping you have a great day tomorrow! Keep us updated!! :)

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2014

The adrenaline will kick in!
    Have a good day.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 2, 2014

Last year, I heard all year how horrible the kids coming to me for this year were. So far, this group of "horrible" children are shaping up to be one of my best classes. Try not to let others' perceptions get you down. You are a great teacher, and you can do this!

Have a good first day.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2014

:hugs: giraffe, I hope that you have a great first day of school! I'm sorry that on top of the school stuff, you're having to deal with a guilt trip...that you shouldn't have to be on.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 2, 2014

Well, how did it go today? I hope better than you anticipated! :)

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2014

So any word?

I heard the same thing about the group of kids I had in Costa Rica. I heard they made various teachers cry.

I don't know what kind of teachers were there before me but those kids were freaking angels.

Hope all went well! Here's to a good school year (that I'm also feeling quite "meh" about)

9. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 2, 2014

I had a very similar situation this year. All I heard is how horrible this class is and how they made the teacher before quit. This is our second week of school and not one of these kids would even crack the top ten of worst behaved children I've had and this is only my 6th year teaching. You may have a different experience, I also think sometimes teachers can be a bit dramatic.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2014

I'm still kind of 'blah'. The day could have been worse, could have been better. It was only a half day, so I really only had an hour with each class. I was there until 5 and I still brought a large bag home to work on.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 3, 2014

Ugh, I understand this! We are in week 4 and I am still doing this. Always behind...:dizzy: New school, new grade level....it's a lot.

But I'm glad it was at least ok. I'm not a huge fan of the first week of school. It's just so awkward. I like it much better when we start getting to know each other and get routines in place. I hope things get better for you, too when that happens!

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2014

The first month of school, especially with changes, is always rough. What cool things are you finding out about your students? Any individuals standing out?

13. smalltowngal

Sep 3, 2014

giraffe~I've been back to work since Aug 1 and I still find it hard to be excited. I don't work directly with students anymore, I have great coworkers, but I guess I just feel that after last year, the shoe will drop when I least expect it.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2014

Today was not a good day. My homeroom was pretty good overall. I had an issue with one student (one of my summer school students) being defiant and obstinate. I called home.

My non-homeroom was TERRIBLE. I have them after lunch/recess. Yesterday was only a half day. I guess that might be the change in behavior.

15. chitown

chitown Companion

Sep 3, 2014

Yesterday went well for me and today was frustrating. There's all sorts of scheduling issues with kids and with aides. I was frustrated with the mix of abilities, with all sorts of stuff. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

16. smalltowngal

Sep 4, 2014

:hugs: giraffe, I hope it gets better with more days to get into a routine.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2014

Nope. Going the wrong direction.

I have a SpEd child whose IEP says that they need minimal accommodations and are OHI for ADHD. This child cannot even walk in my room without disrupting the whole class. They've been with her for years, so they start calling out to be quiet and she yells shut up. They go back and forth and it is a complete disaster. I try to tell them to ignore her. She is screaming incorrect versions of my name (Ms. Giraffe-o, Ms. Geerrrraffioli, etc...). I try to teach on top of her since N-O-T-H-I-N-G works for even a minute. I had a kid get up and leave my room. I tried to stop it, but he said I can't do it and he looked like he was about to blow. I let him go and he went to the office. I can't blame him. I wish I could have went with him.

For the most part, my homeroom is good. Compared to the other room, they are complete angels!

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2014

Oh- my student doesn't just yell. She spits on kids, she pinches them and tells them to punch her back, she flashed someone today, she has a ruler that she pretends is a penis, she was attempting to break things on my desk, etc...

The SpEd resource teacher is worthless. He said today that she should be in the self-contained SpEd room. Well, then why did you write her IEP with practically no accommodations?! It was just updated in April :dizzy:

19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 4, 2014

Can you get a behavior plan put in place for her?

20. smalltowngal

Sep 5, 2014

I would see if you couldn't get a meeting set up ASAP on this child. Bring all that documentation with you, including what the SPED teacher stated and see if you can't get this child where she truly belongs.

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2014

Document everything that the child is doing, be sure you get all the sexual stuff written down as well.

In the district where I did a self-contained long term, if a child did this they were immediately bumped up to self-contained (repeated behavior, but you understand) because the parents of the other children would throw a fit. And it happened once even with the one to one support in the classroom, the other kids parents had the fit.....sexual harassment etc. Thankfully he was already in the self-contained room....the other parent wanted him out of the school....and may have succeeded if he didn't already have the support.

One of the kids did that a lot the year before I was there......he was put on homebound. Document in triplicate, cover yourself and then send a blanket email, the SPED teacher, the principal, the SPED director.....the interventionist, whoever may help and tell them this kid needs help.

Eventually the other parents will have a fit and then you are screwed.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

We have a meeting scheduled for Monday. My teammate and I conferred after school on Wednesday and requested one yesterday. Monday is the date. She already has a behavior plan, but I haven't laid eyes on it.

Today was better despite the unbearable heat. Several of them were pulled to the dean's office and phone calls were made. I even got a few apologies.

I can't wait for it to cool down so I don't have to yell over the noise of the fans. I think the heat and the noise are adding to the chaos. Next week is calling for mid to upper 70s. Not great, but better than the 88-90 we've been flirting with all week.

23. smalltowngal

Sep 8, 2014

Good luck today!

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2014

I'm a little frustrated that we weren't given her behavior plan until today. However, it didn't work. She is currently unmedicated. Last year she took two doses at school.

We are documenting and thinking of moving her to a different school. It will take a whole marking period to happen though.

And... yay for not being hot!!

25. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

Good luck giraffe! Sorry to hear it's so tough