Back to School Deals

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Amanda, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 7, 2003

Can you all post the good deals you find for Back to School? I stocked up on cheap supplies last year, and I don't want to miss the sales. :D

(My husband keeps asking me if I have any requisition money left... Of course I don't.. I like to "save" my OWN money on these good deals. [​IMG])

Here's a start..

SAM'S CLUB -- You can't get a better deal! They have a MAGNETIC whiteboard/corkboard for $13-14. It is whiteboard on one side, corkboard on the other. The brand is EXPO. It is 24x36 and has an aluminum frame. You can't find one sided NON-magnetic whiteboards for under $20!

Right next to the boards were packages of magnets and thumbtacks. I picked up a package of 150 circle magnets (about 3/4" diameter, assorted colors + clear) for around $6. There were 6 plastic boxes in the package. (Not only can you stick things up with these, you could use them for math & sorting activities!)

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 8, 2003

magnets

i love magnets, i dont have a membership to sams. Hmmmm. I want to warn you about the glue sticks and how stocking up now may have you with dried glue sticks later in their packaging! I know kmart runs a killer ad just before school starts its always been the best other then target.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2003

Sometimes I wonder if I love to teach because it gives me the excuse to buy stuff. Only kidding. But I spend all summer searching for goodies. So far I've gotten about 30 books, colored gel pens, 10 packs of notebook paper (.50 ea at grocery store), 12 file folders, 2 expanding files, 4 standing magazine file things (.99 at .99 Stuff). .99 Stuff had some very nice books for children, some hardcover. I got an awesome red basket at Goodwill. Oriental Tradinig's last catalog had close-outs.

I found some nice wooden apple theme things at Bealls Outlet - they helped me decide on my door theme. Mondays at Bealls Outlet are 15% off for 50 and over. Unfortunately I just make it!! So I also shop for cheap and comfortable clothing.

I, too, am waiting until the end of summer to get glue and 'perishables'. Wal Mart is closest to me.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 12, 2003

I went to Sam's Club and bought the magnetic white board. I was so excited - thanks for the great tip! Barb (Kindergarten Teacher)

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 17, 2003

If you have a close out store near you like Big Lots - you can find fantastic deals. Last year I returned to the classroom from 5 years of being in a support position. needed everything.

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 17, 2003

I got several learning center kits on sale at Lakeshore (the store, not online) for $15.00 instead of $20.00.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 17, 2003

Meijer has spiral notebooks on sale this week for 10 cents each.They work well for journaling. If you show them your school id they will let you buy over the set limit. Also, most carpet stores will give teachers carpet samples for their classroom. I use mine as reading mats. The kids love them. It also keeps them away from each other during quiet reading times.

9. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jul 21, 2003

I'm looking for binders, probably 2 inch but maybe 1 1/2, I'll need about 25, anyone know any good deals?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2003

Wal Mart has 24 pencils for $ .42. Also, they now have a small selection of low-priced educational supplies like borders, manipulatives (like stringing beads), bookmarks, flip books for math, name tags. Borders were 3.99. Found in back-to-school supplies aisle.

11. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 29, 2003

Copies for .3 each at Mailboxes Etc. (UPS Store)
    :D :D :D

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2003

I got some stencils at the $1 store. There are 3 in the pack. It has planes, party and just some fun designs!!!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 3, 2003

i love the 10 for a dollar folder deals....amlmost all places have them, k mart cvs shoprite etc....aslo this week i picked up baskets (the ones you might use for pencils, crayons etc) at CVS 3 for 99 cents!!! THey are really good quality, better than the ones you tend to see in the dollar stores.....

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 3, 2003

walgreens this week

Walgreens this week has a great 39cents sale.

Sharpie permanent markers are three dollars off at target
    Also sharpies are buy one pack of multicolor and get another free- comes out to less then nine bucks at either office depot or office max.

15. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Aug 5, 2003

Staples has a teacher appreciation day in August where they give you a freebie bag of goodies and coupons and there are special offers that day just for teachers- the dates are different depending on what store you go to. They also have a teacher savings program that you can sign up for. I just got a ten dollar gift certificate from them. I am not sure what the web address is to get more information, but you could just search for Staples store and I am sure you could find it.