back to school crafts and activities

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by pantherteach, Jun 24, 2008.

1. pantherteach

pantherteach Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I was thinking about doing some kind of craft activity on the first day but am not quite sure. I thought about making a picture frame and taking their picture on their first day of school but am still looking for more ideas. I am also going to have them draw a self portrait and then I will have them do one at the end of the year so they can compare them. What are some things that you do on the first day?

3. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I usually do a self-pictoglyph. They put their favorite color crayon in their hand. They glue the number of buttons that match their age. Dress=girl, pants=boy. Color of hair that matches their hair. Color of eyes match theirs. Etc. I mount it on construction paper that is folded in half and behind it I put a picture that I take of them on the 1st day of school. They also write their name inside. I then hang them up on a bulletin board that says "Who Am I?" and has the key to the clues on it. It's pretty cute and when they have some passing time they love trying to guess who everyone is. Besides it is a great bulletin board for the parents when they come for Back to School Night.

4. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Is there someplace to print off a pattern for the dress/pants, or did you make them yourself?

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I used a pattern from one of my books that I blew up to the size I needed and then used white out for the parts I didn't wnat or need.

6. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I start my year with a pretty much dull room. During the first week or so, the students make the decorations. We make mobiles for the ceiling, self-potraits for our bulletin board, birthday cakes for our birthday graph, etc. It gives the room a more personal touch for them.