Back-to-School Clothes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 31, 2016

I tend to buy myself a new belt, shoes, and some slacks and shirts (I guess a little bit of everything). I try to not spend more than $300 (I do splurge on things throughout the year, though).

I got my nephew a monogrammed backpack and lunch bag. He's a 2nd grader and specifically requested "nothing with cartoon characters!" :(

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jul 31, 2016

I got myself a couple new professional outfits for this year, with the plan of buying some more professional clothing after the school year gets going. Getting new stuff for a new start is always fun. :)

I'm sure your nephew will be styling with his fancy monogrammed gear, though it's kinda crazy to me that a 2nd grader wouldn't want anything with characters on it! At least it'll be good for a while instead of just something he'll like for a little bit.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 1, 2016

Same. I always get myself a few new outfits and shoes. I tend to get many coupons this time of year and use them to their full advantage.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 1, 2016

I always buy a few new things but this year I'm starting out 7.5 months pregnant so I had to get maternity shirts. I'll have to go shopping again once the baby is here.

I think my favorite part of back to school shopping is shopping for my kids!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2016

I bought two pairs of dress pants and two dresses. I've bought several light cardigans. We can't wear sleeveless anymore, and most of my wardrobe is sleeveless.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2016

I updated my wardrobe from the Goodwill. I bought professional button downs, practically brand new, name brands for like $5 a shirt. It was CRAZY! I look at it and think, "Wow this shirt would be at least $30 in the mall!"
    :eek:

And it's not like they're all misshapen or full of holes and stains. It's just somebody had a brand new shirt that they didn't want and decided to make room for their new shopping spree. So I lucked out. WOO! It's too bad the nearest Goodwill now is over 100 miles away since I've moved. :(

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2016

When returning to work, I like to get:

- shoes
    - few to several tops, but I don't need any this time...I have to put what I have in the cleaners
    - 2-3 bottoms
    - definitely make sure makeup is stocked enough for the 1st 1-2 mos at least

Don't need jewelry, handbag, or watch normally.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2016

I go for another pair of shoes - I'm hard on them, or they are hard on me, but they have a limited lifespan. My sister will take me shopping when I go out at the end of August - her fashion sense is wonderful, mine makes no sense to anyone. So some new tops and maybe slacks. I was quite ill over the winter, and lost about 20 pounds, so most of my tops still fit, but I am in between on quite a few of my pants. Not complaining about losing weight, simply know that it is easier to buy clothes when not in between sizes. New watch battery is a must. Thank you, Ms. I for putting that on my to do list.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

I'm just happy that, as a tutor, I don't really need much of anything. I tutor at a tennis club so the kids all are kind of half naked (tennis garb is quite form fitting these days) so I figure anything I wear will pass muster. I did grab some leggings and tunic length tops, though.

janlee and vickilyn like this.
  11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2016

I always pick up a few things before the beginning of the school year. This year I'd like to get some new shoes and some more tops. I've noticed that I'm not happy with hardly any of my tops when I go into my closet. Will be going shopping this weekend with my little! She's going into 7th grade so needs some new clothes as well.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 2, 2016

I tend to buy some new tops, I wore out many I had from last year. I'm in the process of losing weight so my hope is I get to buy new pants. I'm good on shoes, sweaters, cardigans and such. Maybe I'll buy a dress for the first day. But I still have more than a. Month til school starts.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2016

When losing weight, take that weight loss as far as possible before investing in new clothes. Trust me - been there! :)

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 2, 2016

Oh I know! I'll wear my pants until they give me what I call "diaper butt". I've been down this road more than I care to admit.

Backroads and Upsadaisy like this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 4, 2016

I've got myself a few things this year, but I also have the benefit of using clothes from two years ago as last year back-to-school I was shopping for professional maternity clothes. Now I can use "new old clothes."

Upsadaisy likes this.
  16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

Our dress code was changed this year (new P!). So, everything I bought over the summer is no longer suitable. I bought one outfit for open house tomorrow and we have next week off so guess what I'll be doing?

Backroads likes this.
  17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2016

swansong1, wow, everything you bought all summer is no longer good! Hopefully, you kept the tags on most of them to return them.

I actually start at a new district, so I wonder if we can wear jeans. I'll just have to see how everyone else dresses in the first couple weeks.

QUESTION: What kind of casual shoes are extremely comfy, but dressier than sneakers or flats, yet goes w/ practically ANY outfit?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 4, 2016

I know you said no flats, but I bought these crocs on sale and I really love them. they're nicer than traditional flats.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

I'm on a really tight budget right now, so I went to Ross. I had never shopped there before! It's obviously not the selection of a regular store, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I found some things that I really liked. I got four tops, a dress, and a pair of pants for around $60!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2016

Bargains are good!

I paid full price for a pair of jeans this week and I never do that, but these fit perfectly and make me look better than I am...so that's good.

21. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 5, 2016

I seriously believe you can't put a price on better than great fitting jeans.

ms.irene and teacherintexas like this.
  22. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Aug 7, 2016

I'm 4 months postpartum with baby number 3, and sad to say that things are not bouncing back as quickly this time! He was our surprise bonus baby, so I had just cleared my closet of all the postpartum-friendly clothes I had, and I'm a good 2 sizes bigger than most of my clothes. It's a bummer, because I like dressing nicely at work, but I don't want to spend much money on clothes that fit this body, since I'm really hoping it doesn't hang around much longer.

Oh, and I'm student teaching this Fall, so I want to make a good impression. Conundrum.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2016

I tell you this simply because many won't. Good thrift stores and consignment shops should become your new best friend. Will you lose that extra weight? I am sure you will. What will you do with those larger clothes then? Many donate to thrift stores. You need to be a careful shopper, with an eagle eye, but you can buy enough clothes to look very nice, and as the weight melts away, they simply go back where they came from, and eventually your old wardrobe becomes your new wardrobe once again. I see it as a win/win. My sister sends me "new to you" clothes all of the time, and I know where she got them, but I get so many compliments that I would never turn up my nose at her offerings. :cool:

24. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Aug 8, 2016

Thanks, that's really good advice. I didn't even think of checking out consignment shops, but there's usually some really good stuff at the ones around the wealthier areas of LA, I've heard. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 8, 2016

I'm so unhappy right now. well, actually kinda mad. So we're merging with a new school and apparently they have very strict dress code. We'll have a meeting tomorrow, but so far I've heard that no heels / sandals, no flipflops (ok, I get that, although have dressy flipflops that I would wear with dresses and skirts), no pants other than slacks.

I have always been dressing very professional and have been one of the most professionally dressed teachers there. For some reason in alternative ed teachers tend to dress down.
    I wear the following:
    - dresses with cardigans (or without, but no cleavage showing)
    - skirts with tops or tanktops but with cardigan and you would never know it's a tank top
    My skirts and dresses are always knee length or ankle length.
    - dressy sandals (low to medium heel)
    - I have pants that are not dress slacks, but are not jeans either, they' have color or are white and pair them with a nice top / cardigan.
    I hardly ever with tennis shoes (only on some Fridays with jeans).
    -sometimes dress slacks.

Apparently most of these will be a know, although I'm not sure what I'm supposed to wear for shoes. I've heard "flats". I can't do that, I have a very high arch and I need a little bit of heel.

I've spent years building a professional teacher wardrobe, I'm not about to go and buy all knew stuff. It's still in the 100s in September, and even in October it can be in the 90s. Skirt+ tan top + cardigan + sandals is my best thing. Dress slacks with a blouse would just make me sweat in my clothes, it'd be uncomfortable and yucky.

And I've just bought about 8 pairs o f heels and wedges, because my puppy destroyed about8-10 pairs.

A teacher got written up before for unprofessional clothing (and she was not unprofessional, it's just her shoes weren't what they're supposed to be). Yes, our new principal is that kinda principal.
    Very mad. Hopefully I've heard exaggeration, but probably not.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 9, 2016

REALLY hoping the two schools will be able to merge without a massive culture clash,@Linguist92021. Try for a shoe with a slight wedge if you cannot do absolutely flat ones.

As I'm unsure of the dress code at my new school, and I'm moving back into a physical teaching setting, I'm going to take the advice of hitting the thrift stores today. I'm very short, so probably next to no chance of finding pants that fit.

27. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2016

Ugh, I am sorry to hear that, Linguist! I would hate being micro-managed over something as paltry as shoes. I am sure that if you have a physical need for a certain kind of shoe, you should be able to get an accommodation for that, even if it means getting a dr's note (what a pain in the @#$ though....). And I HATE blouses -- especially the button-up ones!

You could always rebel and do something like this: http://geekandsundry.com/one-woman-brilliantly-protests-unfair-dress-code-with-cosplay/

Backroads likes this.
  28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2016

If they fit everywhere but the length, and they are nice, find a seamstress to hem. The money saved wil so much more than pay for alterations here and there.

29. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Aug 9, 2016

Someone asked about shoes and I LOVE Toms. They are mostly flats, but also have non flats as well. They go with everything, and are more "dressy" than sneakers. I work at a Catholic school that has a pretty strict dress code and even the kids are allowed to wear them

30. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2016

I just read this again and now I'm confused -- if you can't wear heels or flats, what *can* you wear?

31. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Aug 9, 2016

I mean, wedges are technically not heels nor flats... right? ;)
    (From my understanding, the dress code policy is no heels, and @Linguist92021's personal preference is not flats.)

32. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2016

Oh I went back and read it once again...I find it extremely weird that you *can't* wear heels! I personally never wear them, but I know some people who can't not wear them since they are so used to them.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  33. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 9, 2016

Ugh that really sucks that they have such strict rules!!! I mean come on.

The only rule we have is be mindful of what you wear. My P did say no shorts but technically she can't say that. But I wouldn't wear shorts anyways.

Today I picked up a few shirts. I was even able to get one in a size medium when I generally need XL OR L. So I was happy about that.

Upsadaisy and Linguist92021 like this.
  34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 9, 2016

So today we had a meeting with our division, which means 3 schools. The director handed out a dresscode "guideline" and emphasized that it is a guideline and not policy. Under that it was just basic common sense professionalism and safety items, like no no jeans (I can live wit that), shoes must be safe etc.
    So we had a little discussion, like no flipflops (I can also live with that) because shoes should have a backstrap, (safety), or if they're those wedges type that don't have it, they should cover most of the foot.
    No bare shoulders, and we took it as no strapless or tank top (I wore a tanktop with a cardigan that covered my shoulders but not arms. However the HR lady had on a dress like that so that should be ok)

It wasn't set in stone, and it was said that we should talk to our site principal.
    So hopefully it'll be ok, I'm keeping fingers crossed that nothing more will come of it. None of these rules were crazy or even unreasonable to me.

This whole thing sounds like it was exaggeration or silly rumors, but one lady telling me this was a TA who had a conversation with the P a few days ago and she told me exactly what she said. Another one was a teacher who got written up over things and she actually suggested to the P to have this meeting so we all know what's up.

As far as why I couldn't wear heels, and what to wear instead, well I don't have an answer to that, I mean how could they tell me ? I'm not wearing very high heels anyways. We do have a construction classroom, but it's not like we have nails and screws laying around in the hallways, so they can't really say no open toe shoes.

Oh well, we'll see for sure tomorrow, let's hope for the best.

ms.irene likes this.
  35. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Aug 10, 2016

I heard from some teachers that Savers, a used clothing chain located in the LA/OC areas is a good option. Savers donates some of their profits to their local organizations. These teachers say that they also have had a great experience with www.swap.com, which they enjoy even more than Savers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  36. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

37. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 10, 2016

I laid out quite a bit for 5 suits and a whole new wardrobe...it really helped me with confidence in my student teaching...losing 110 pounds didn't hurt it either. I went with 2 black suits, 1 gray, one dark brown, and a purple one.

vickilyn likes this.
  38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2016

I'm still in Summer school but have 2 weeks off before Labor day so I'll be school shopping soon. I am getting a bonus in this paycheck so I'm really excited to get some new clothes. I'll also have to pick up some workout clothes/sneakers since we will be having an after school workout session once a week!

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 10, 2016

One of my friends works at Anthropologie and she's offered to help me shop for dress pants. I'm so bad at dressing myself properly!

40. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Aug 10, 2016

I don't know if the Savers in LA/OC is the same as in Boston, but if it is I LOVE it. You can find new stuff along with a lot of gently used. I use it for myself as well as for my theater company.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2016

I will be going out to visit my sister when my grad classes are done, and we spend a lot of time shopping. I lack any kind of fashion sense, but sis has it in spades. I try them on, she critiques, and I come home with virtually a new wardrobe for peanuts, and I have saved so much money that I alter small things with my wonderful local seamstress, and still save so much money. I am always surprised to get tons of compliments on what my sister has chosen, because I am just NOT fashion oriented enough to "see" the effect. A savvy co-shopper is the best accessory!