Back to School - Children's book activity

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by JulieW, Jul 28, 2009.

1. JulieW

JulieW Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I want to read a fun children's book to my 5th grade class on the first couple of days of school and do some type of activity with it. Has anyone done anything similar and has suggestions?

Thanks!

3. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Read any of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books, and have them come up with (writing or drawing, individual or group) their own "afflictions" and (imaginary or magic) "cures." Could be quite revealing!

4. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

"No Talking" by Andrew Clements. A fabulous way to start the school year. Its about a class of 5th grade boys and girls that don't get along. One boy comes up with a plan that they stop talking and find out who the winner is at the end of the given time. It is so much fun, especially when they start slipping up and having to count the words.

5. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I plan to use How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague. It's about a boy who shares his summer vacation activities, but none of them are true...they're exaggerated. I was going to have them write their own "fantasy" summer vacation...filled with things they would have liked to do. I got the idea from someone on here, I think!!

6. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Since we journal almost every day, I read Absolutely Norma Chaos by Sharon Creech. The kids love it but its because I do voices and act out some of the stuff in a big over exaggerated way. Mary Lou is keeping a journal of the summer and liking boys comes into the picture. So when the one girl tries to flirt I do the big over done batting eyelashes and flipping hair at who ever I am next to while I read that part. The kids love it and even the boys get into the book.

7. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I read First Day Jitters and we talk about irony, brainstrom synonyms for jitters, journal about our own first day jitters, etc. My favorite part is that we finish the year with a similar book by the same author called Last Day Blues, which really brings us full circle.

8. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I begin reading "Frindle," by Andrew Clement. I got the idea from this board a few years ago and have begun my year with it ever since. The kids love this book. It's about a 5th grade boy who creates the word "frindle" as a new name for a pen. My students begin calling their pens frindles and try to create new words for other objects.