Back to School blues

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by JustineCase, Mar 28, 2008.

1. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

It's back to school on Monday....I'm coming off of a 2 week spring break that didn't feel nearly long enough... I was traveling and meeting up with family, so it's wasn't the relaxing experience i wanted it to be.

We're also doing state testing that NCLB requires that first week back, and our school does it thru the english & soc. studies lines, so I'm out some teaching time... and i have to switch rooms too.

I've been racking my brains trying to think about what I can do to start that week off that I can carry easily from room to room, but I'm still brain dead from 3rd quarter.

Nine more weeks to go. I'll survive it, but it won't be pretty.

3. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 28, 2008

Justine... you still have 2 more days. Enjoy them. Also, just think...the end is near!!! I'm pretty brain dead too, but I see the end in sight, which alleviates a little pressure. I plan on changing schools next year, which is another motivator. You gotta think of SOMETHING to pump up the motivation. Summer is just around the corner .... cheer up .... you can do it!!!!!!!!!! ; )

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 29, 2008

What subject and grade do you teach? What type of technology is found in ALL classrooms so no matter where you are, you know what you can use?

5. historyguy79

historyguy79 Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I only had a 4 day weekend for spring break. You should be happy you had 2 weeks.

6. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 30, 2008

i had a 4 day weekend too! what was up with that?! bull crap

7. historyguy79

historyguy79 Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

It wasn't even a weekend for me either, I had jury duty one day off and I had to make a portfolio, compile all my PD hours, plan lessons, and write a whole Annual Proficiency paper or something of the sort.

I'm just waiting for summer when I get real weekends and nights off. I'll be working other jobs in the summer, but those jobs stop when the day is over.

Not like teaching, it never ends sometimes.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2008

History guy, I just wanted to say that your school is nuts! They have let the highly qualified part of NCLB get out of control!!!!! Yikes man, once you are highly qualified you keep it by continuing your education, not by killing trees for portfolios and reports that no one is likely to really read!!!! USELESS!!!

Sorry, I just HAD to say that.

I am jealous that you guys have had your break, I have a week until mine.

9. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I have to get my portfolio together, I have a professional review with the principal coming up as well... I had (have) papers to grade, grades to assign, and lessons to plan, too... historyguy, i'm sorry you only had a 4day weekend. Perhaps you should move to Hawaii & enjoy our two week spring breaks with us. Are you traditional or year round schoolin in NJ? Our summer is 6 weeks long.... I envy the schools who still have 3mo off during the summer. It makes getting a 2nd summer job, or taking PD & summer classes a lot easier.

jsfowler... the only technology I can count on being the same from room to room is the white board...and I should probably remember to bring my own dry-erase pen to make sure I have one that still has ink.

(sigh)

10. historyguy79

historyguy79 Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

Well I do get about 2 1/2 months summer which will be nice haha. It's traditional school in NJ.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2008

JustineCase:

what will you be doing in the summer? I too will be working. I'll be working at a resort where I spent 5 years of my life as I was working through college (did college part-time).

12. historyguy79

historyguy79 Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

Well if I don't let go by my district from budget cuts, I'll probably run the school weight room in the morning for pay and work with a lawn care company during the day.

All together it brings in about an extra $4-5k and it's pretty relaxed work.