Back to School Activities

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teaching4God, Jul 17, 2010.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

This is my first year to teach third after moving from fifth. I am looking for activities for that first week of school. Any ideas?

3. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 17, 2010

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I love doing a "time capsule" with the kids. I have them trace their hand, fill out a questionnaire on likes and dislikes, make a goal for 3rd grade, and cut a piece of string that is approximately their height. Then we either put them in a brown paper bag (that they decorate) or a paper towel tube and hide them until the last week of school. They love comparing the old them to the new them!

I also like to give a "report card" of sorts where they grade themselves as a student. I tell them to be honest and that its just for them and for me. I use those to help me get to know them as well as what they fear/struggle with in school.

I also buy the "who am I?" activity from Really Good Stuff for the hallway. The kids answer questions about the favorites of books, food, etc as well as what they want to be when they grow up. Then they draw a picture of themselves on the inside. We use them in class to see how well the kids know each other and then I hang them out in the hallway for Back to School Night so the parents can take guesses, too!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010