Back to interviewing again.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 11, 2017

I won't get into specifics but I'm looking into transferring to a new school within my large city district. I wasn't mentally prepared to start looking for a new school for at least another year or 2 until a bomb was essentially dropped on me last week that staying at my current school is not really an option.

I spent a year an a half interviewing before I got this job so I needed a break from it and it's been 3 years. I've applied to about 100 positions so far and have one interview so far this week. I'm a little more confident in interviewing and demoing since I can speak a lot from various experiences. This is my 10 year teaching.

I'm just worried I won't find another school that wants me. I can return to my school if I don't get a position but I shouldn't. Maybe I just need encouragement that I can and will find a new school.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2017

This is prime job-hunting season. Do you have some extra cash to have your resume / cover letter overhauled? There are professional services that do a tremendous job not only making it look like the sun shines out of your derriere, but creating hooks within the resume to catch the attention of computer search algorithms.

You can do this, Bunnie.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 13, 2017

I think my CL and Resume are pretty decent. There's no computer algorithm system here like in some states/districts. It's a good old send the principal your resume via email or even walk it in around here in addition to using the transfer online system.

I've gotten 3 interview offers so far, one I had to decline because of the time and them saying its that time or nothing. Both are in the next 2 days.

I was feeling a little down about my situation the other day but I'm feeling a little more go getter now about these interviews and the potential for others.

mathteachertobe likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 14, 2017

No I think just some principals like to hire/interview opportunists in the moment especially in late August.

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 14, 2017

Isn't it a downer being called for an interview that you can't go to?! I was out of town for 3 days, and it was a now or nothing situation too. I have a part time summer job, so it is difficult to go to interviews on the days I am working as well. I ask permission to take a longer lunch just to go to an interview then I would come back to work!! Anyways, I sympathize with you in this interviewing process. I am not going back to my old school, and it took me a LONG time to land that job. best of luck to us this summer!

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 15, 2017

Thanks they actually contacted me again for a different day and time and I accepted so that interview is next week.

I also had my 2 interviews this week. The first one I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get. The second one which I had today I got a good vibe from but they are waiting to see if someone leaves for a position to open up.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 25, 2017

A little update, I've had a total of 4 interviews so far with nothing else lined up yet. I was hoping to land something before school ends on Wednesday but I'm seeing that's not the case. 1 interview went horrible the other 3 were fine. 2 of the 3 won't hire til after school is over by early July they said I'd have to do a demo or a role play situation. The other doesn't have an actual position but they are suspecting someone is leaving they said they had wanted a demo before school ends just in case but they haven't contacted me for one yet.

I have my resume out to about 70-80 schools at the moment. The last day to transfer without asking your P is August 7th. Usually then P's go on vacation for two weeks and return to then start setting up for the new school year. We don't start until after Labor Day.

Granted I have a good 6 weeks to look and find something it's definitely stressing me out. I was looking forward to a relaxing summer after a very stressful and awful year but doesn't look promising if I don't land another position soon.

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jun 27, 2017

Just wanted to say good luck with your search. It's not easy here (I see the clues) because they all tend to hire closer to summer end. Not sure the specific place you're looking, but I'm sure my current school will have a few openings. :roll:

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 27, 2017

Thanks. I'm looking just about anywhere that's within a reasonable subway commute from where I live in Manhattan. Trying to stay away from the Bronx (that's where I am now) Manhattan, Queens and BK are in my scope of where I want to look. I'm gen Ed 1-6. PM me if you know of any openings, any help is greatly appreciated

Froreal3 likes this.