Back Talk

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, May 6, 2014.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 6, 2014

Do you feel like there's a lot of talking back lately? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm sure I was smacked across the mouth at least once as a kid for doing it. The mere threat of it would shut me up.

The kids today do it as a sport because they know there will be no consequences. I sent a kid to the principal for it yesterday when I heard him smart-mouth another teacher. Granted, it was part of a series of misbehaviors on his part all morning and I'd had enough. He just blamed it on another student.

Then today, a student tossed a book across the aisle at another kid. When I moved her clip down on the behavior chart, she denied that she'd done it. I told her that I and three other students had seen her do it. She looked me square in the eye and said, "You're lying." This particular student, like the one above has no consequences at home. Parental contact results in "we'll talk to him/her," but no change in behavior.

This class I have right now...I fear for their teachers when they're older...:dizzy:

And before someone comes back with a response that I'm promoting hitting kids after reading my first line, I'm not. I'm simply stating that when I was a kid there were consequences and punishments for my actions. I don't see that with my generation as parents.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2014

Not sure what grade you are but there ARE consequences....no recess, no PAT time, letter of apology, detention, other kids get privileges the offender doesn't, sit alone at lunch...
    2 of my girls who went to the lst and found at recess today disappeared or 20 minutes...my principal found them wandering the halls...they told me they had been to the bathroom...yeah, they are missing recess tomorrow.and an email went home.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 6, 2014

If parents would be stricter when their kids are younger, there would be no issues with backtalking or disrespect. And there would be no reason for them to smack them on the mouth, although I also feel that no one would be permanently damaged from such thing, but would learn to show respect.
    We, teachers are trying to fix issues that have been there for years. It's hard.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 6, 2014

Girl, you are preaching the TRUTH ... You almost took me to Church with that one.

Back talking is like second nature where I teach. You can't say anything to a CHILD (and yes, they are still children) without a disrespectful comment, response or something muttered under their breath. Most of the time, it also involves cursing and inappropriate language aimed at the teacher.

Where I currently teach, there are no consequences for back talking, cursing at teachers, calling them inappropriate names, and any other disrespectful speech. If you write the kid up and send them to the office; they come back a few minutes later after some empty Admin threats and a stern talking to. This behavior is such the norm here, that teachers are simply supposed to let it go.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 6, 2014

All been done, including eating silent lunch in the principal's office. The offenders continue to offend.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 6, 2014

I have also found that with back talking, at least at the MS/HS level, school issued consequences or threats won't change the behavior.

For some kids, it just seems to be an ingrained habit and they don't know when/how to turn it off. Just like the way many of my students use a curse word or the "N-word" six times in a seven word sentence. Some don't even realize what they've said until you call them on it.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 6, 2014

PARENTING!

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 7, 2014

:yeahthat:

......only ours don't even get the administrative empty threat anymore. But that puts me in a position where I can give it right back to the student (just keep it clean....and there's a million ways to verbally cut them to ribbons in a clean fashion) and they know that any complaint they make will fall on deaf ears.

:thumb:

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 7, 2014

I don't have a ton but definitely have some. I put a stop to it pretty quickly and most students stop after I address it.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2014

I've had my share this year. Part of the problem was that I wasn't completely enforcing teacher-student boundaries, choosing to act amused or simply rolling my eyes when a kid was poking at the boundaries. (i.e. jokingly insulting me as they would with their friend) I always enacted a consequence when they were being directly disrespectful but I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they were joking on too many occasions.

I've made it my mission to come down more harshly and directly let students know when they're are crossing a boundary. It's helped a bit. Part of it is that I refuse to argue with a student as well and quickly turn away without giving them the chance to back talk.

http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2014/05/03/how-to-avoid-arguing-with-students/

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2014

I'm having a similar problem also with one student in particular, in which no consequence affects him and his mom doesn't care. It's not changing his behavior but at the very least when he get's time-out or gets sent out of the classroom he's out of my hair and not disrupting the rest of the class.