Back in 3rd grade again

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 22, 2007

I'm really excited, though I know I have a challenging bunch on my hands. Today was their first day. Though I only have 9 kids, here's the breakdown:

1 spent last year in South America where they put him back a year and he only spoke Spanish
    1 is severely depressed with untreated ADHD (but began counseling)
    1 has ADHD and is on meds
    1 is dysgraphic, extremely bright, but I suspect possible aspbergers
    1 is dyslexic and reading several years behind
    1 is a non-stop talker and blamer of others and there was a death in his family the day before school started
    1 we all think has ADD but his father doesn't want to 'squelch his enthusiasm for life'
    1 had temper tantrums through 2nd grade due to emotional instability at home
    1 new one is the youngest with a late Aug birthday (but is delightful)

Gee, thank goodness I work at a private school that isn't geared for kids with disabilities (sarcasm intended). Oh, and I had no air-conditioning today - in South Florida.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2007

I understand to an extent where you're coming from, and I'll keep you in my prayers. You're getting a PM, too.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2007

You are definitely going to have a challenging year, but I think that those students have definitely hit the jackpot with their assignment to your classroom! You are a wonderfully creative and engaged (and engaging) teacher -- and you love to teach (that part is huge)! You will make a world of difference to their cognitive and emotional development!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2007

Upsadaisy,

Whoa! I can relate! I think you sound like a very knowledgable and caring teacher, so I know you will work wonders with this group. Just keep working with them, doing as many things as you can to meet their needs, and thank God you don't have 29!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2007

Sounds like a handful! Hope the AC is working today; it was 96 in my neck of Ohio yesterday, so I can only imagine how awful it was for you.

Hope today is better!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2007

Thanks for the well-wishes and the compliments. I am blushing. See me? :wub:

These kids need so much structure and redirection that I feel like I am holding reins on a herd of cats!!!

8. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Daisy,

I may be sending you some messages this year. My first year... I haven't met my kids yet, but they are supposedly quite a cast of characters. Same age group as you have. They all have emotional issues, but there is definitely more to their stories from the little info. I have obtained. I am expecting a very interesting year! :D

I have experience with older kids who were similar to these. I feel like this was meant to be for me and them. It is where I feel like I belong. Now, I will come back to this post in June and see what I have to say. :haha:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

Oh please come back to it way before June! I may not even live that long. Most of my kids have the emotional and behavioral level of 4 year olds.