Back from Staples

Discussion in 'General Education' started by uclalum, Jul 27, 2008.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I just got back from Staples. The first guy said he thought the teacher limit was 10 and went to go verify. When he came back he said that I could get 20. I got 20 pencil boxes for 1 cent each. I also got 20 staplers for 25 cents each.

I think the best deal was the staplers. They are very nice quality. They came in a nice package with an extra box of staples. This is the first year that I am buying the kids their own stapler. The only reason why I am is because they are so cheap and I think it will be less frustrating than passing around 1 stapler for everyone to use. Maybe now they will stop stealing mine!:p

3. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I went to Staples and got my 25 pencil boxes. I passed on the staplers but now am wondering if I should go back and get some.

I also hit Walmart today (for more spirals)
    Sam's Club (for register tape & sheet protectors)
    Michael's (photo boxes & a Going Places cricut cartridge - I'm doing a travel theme)
    Office Depot (DH & I both got the limit for the composition books, colored pencils & glue)

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

What size are the composition books? What is the limit?

5. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 27, 2008

They're $.30 with a limit of 5. They're the 8 1/2 x 11 size.

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I bought the pencil boxes for them to keep their class money in. I also bought one of the plastic 6 drawer rolling cabinets on sale for $20. Going to use for guided reading-each group will be in its own drawer, so I know where everything is.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

Looks like Beth and I got the same order:)

I also passed on the staplers, I don't really know why...?

8. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Don't forget the Staples and Office Depot Teacher Appreciation Breakfasts sometime in August (Check your store for their date). They give coffee, donuts, bagels. But most importantly, they give a bag with free samples...pencils, markers, highlighters, binders, folders, etc. Office Depot even gave away full lesson plan books a few years ago!

9. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I bought the pencil boxes for the class money too! I checked the size of my money last year against a slider box and have been waiting all summer for them to go on sale. I bought the staplers and plan to use them in a goody bag for my students.

10. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I was wondering if the teacher appreciation breakfasts were worth the hassle. Sounds like I will go. Did you find long lines at previous breakfasts?

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

Anyone have luck with the pencil sharpeners?? My Staples was out :( But, I am going to school tomorrow and with only going very slightly out of my way, can stop at 3 different Staples (different from the one I went to today).

I bought 3 staplers. Didn't feel like pushing the limit. I am going to put them in my treasure box.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

I didn't even see the pencil boxes or the staplers because I was so fixated on getting the plastic folders with the little place to put in sheet protectors. I use them as my send home folders. This year they lasted the whole year and only one kid kept losing his. I never replaced it he always found it. Everyone else brought theirs back daily.

13. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

I got 25 staplers and 30 pencil boxes. I plan to use the pencil boxes for their money and check registers, too. I think I will give them the staplers at Christmas.

My staples said there was a limit of 25 on everything except the pencil boxes. They told me I could have as many of those as I wanted. The person in front of me got 250, but I figured 30 was more than enough.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

Oooo I want to get pencil boxes! Not sure what to use them for yet though.

Hey so I have a Staples question. I have 15 spiral notebooks that I want to get chopped in half. Do you think staples will do it for me for free??? I was going to call but I'm kinda nervous!

15. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Wow, 250 pencil cases. I wonder what she will do with all those.

I got 6 pencil cases, 9 staplers (that's all they have left), and 10 folders. Someone on another teacher board mentioned using the pencil cases to hold math card games and that's what I'm going to use them for. I still have some of the cases left over from last year.

16. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Unlimited amount of pencil boxes? I'm jealous!