Back from Interim Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    :) I think it went really well...I didn't interview with the the P but rather with the teacher who I'd possibly be taking over for. She said she would not be making the decision but that she would be passing the info along to the P...but I have a distinct feeling she would have some input into who goes into her classroom. Having said all of that, the teacher said that there had been a sub in her classroom practically since the beginning of school (we're in our 4th week) who is also a certified teacher. So I guess that could mean that the sub would stay in there? I would think so to keep some normalcy in the kids' lives. But either way, I should know something by tomorrow given the fact that the P wants someone in there on Friday. My interview was around 40 minutes long so that is a good sign...and they were only interviewing 7 people. Oh and the teacher said there would be two other maternities soon...one in fifth and one in art and she felt certain that the P would be pulling from the pool of applicants today.

    So after I got out, I looked at my phone and I had a message from the P for the science lab teaching position. She wanted to schedule an interview with me. So I called her back and it is for 11:00 tomorrow. I am to pick 3 grade levels and science standards and be able to talk about how I would translate that standard into a lab or experiement. Gotta get busy! :) This would be a full time position...

    I know I'm putting the cart before the horse but what happens if I'm offered the interim position before the science interview? There are no guarantees.
     
  2.  
  3. emmakate218

    emmakate218 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,729
    Likes Received:
    1

    Sep 2, 2009

    Clearly the current sub isn't meeting their standards since they're interviewing teachers for the position! That's strange! Sounds like the interview was positive!

    I don't know what you should do if you're offered the interim position while waiting to hear about the science interview...
     
  4. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    I'm thinking that if offered the interim, then I should go with it. I mean, maybe this is the path I'm supposed to be on...Whoever offers first gets me. :) I dunno....

    Good point, emma, about the current sub. The teacher said something like "the P wants to make the transition as smooth as possible so that sub might stay in there...I don't know...that will be up to the P."

    I totally loved this teacher...There was a question about metacognition and while I knew I had read, seen, heard, knew the word...I couldn't for the life of me answer the question. She rephrased the question for me and even explained the word. What a sweetie! They "graded" me based on a rubric. I said I guess I didn't do very well on that section...and she said no, you are doing great. We chatted in between and she gave me suggestions of what to do in the classroom, etc. It was just so relaxed!
     
  5. emmakate218

    emmakate218 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,729
    Likes Received:
    1

    Sep 2, 2009

    It would had made sense if she was uncertified, but she's a certified teacher and it would make sense to keep her in there since the students are use to her, but trouble must have been brewin' with her.

    Omg! She asked you what metacognition is? I think every teacher should have knowledge, but not all knowledge is extremely easy to recall...especially when you're in an interview! How unfair!

    I'm getting more anxious about my LTS interview this afternoon...I was told, "come on in so the principal can interview you." I'm now wondering if the teacher I'm LTS-ing for will be in the interview or maybe the grade level team leader. If not, surely there must be another round of interviews. I couldn't see the teacher or grade level team leader not having a say in who will join their team for 12 weeks! Eek.

    I think once you go for your science lab interview and meet with the principal, you'll kinda get a feel for if it could fit and you can base your decision on what your heart is telling you.
     
  6. McKennaL

    McKennaL Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1,378
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    SO SO happy for you.

    Sending you a PM.
     
  7. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Thing is, I may be offered the interim before I even go to the interview. I was hoping I could get the interview set up for today but I think the P wanted to give me time to get my standards and labs together.

    On the school board website here, it says that the teacher can also be included in picking out the interim teacher. I think, like you said, it make sense. The P didn't even conduct my interview...she wasn't even there. In fact, I was shocked about that.

    Thanks, McKenna...PMed you back! :)
     
  8. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Sep 2, 2009

    l8ybug~good luck on either position! I think that if they were happy with the sub that was already in there, they would not have bothered with 7 other interviews!
     
  9. Kangaroo22

    Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    6,216
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Sounds great, l8ybug! I agree that there must be something with the sub either not being up to par or unable to take the LTS job or it seems like they would go with her and not do so many interviews. Good luck!
     
  10. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    True...well maybe I'll get this one. I do want this 3rd grade interim.....I just spoke to my Clinical Educator from student teaching and she told me to take the 3rd grade interim if it is offered. And if I get the science lab teacher job, then I should take it and talk to the at the 3rd grade interim school. I don't know how I feel about backing out on a position and certainly my name would be mud with that P. However, it is almost 4 pm here and no word about the 3rd grade interim so I may not need to worry.
     
  11. nogenrewriter

    nogenrewriter Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    True, but you never know. At this point, I would just concentrate on the interviews. Worry about them fighting over you for the positions later! Things have a way of working themselves out. I made a rule that I would take the first job offered to me...and I am so glad that I did because nothing came from the others and the school I am working at is great. Just hang in there! :thumb:

    :2cents:
     
  12. emmakate218

    emmakate218 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,729
    Likes Received:
    1

    Sep 2, 2009

    I agree. Have faith and in the end, it will all work out the way it should.
     
  13. McKennaL

    McKennaL Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1,378
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Writer has a point there.

    YEARS ago... I had given up my job in the country (there was no turning back) and came back to the suburbs. It was a week and a half before school started. I had had two interviews. One at a Catholic School that i didn't really want-but I knew they wanted me...or the big public school district that I wanted but (though I thought the interview went pretty well) was a long shot.

    I wanted the second school SO bad...but the Catholic school was waiting for my answer. How to stall until I heard from the second school? I had a question for the Catholic school...my accepting the job hinged on their answer. I hoped that they wouldn't be able to "give" so I could turn them down and take the prestigious job when offered.

    I finally felt i had no other choice...I called the Catholic school with my question. It would require them changing their entire school schedule to accommodate MY wishes. (They had 7th and 8th graders having music classes - genders separated..so that they could do their gym classes back to back with music. I would ONLY take the job if they switched it to co-ed music...meaning the school would have to change it's long-standing tradition of gender separated gym classes in jr high and the jr high teachers would have to totally switch their schedules up. ) I expected a no. When the principal IMMEDIATELY said "YES! So, can we count on you???" I was in shock! What could I say? i HAD to take it. And I did...reluctantly.

    Epilogue:

    The second school district? The job I coveted? Not only was never offered to me, but didn't even have the courtesy to give a call back. And the Catholic School? Ended up being a DREAM JOB! (Even the jr high teachers liked the new set up...and my jr high music classes went very well with the boys and girls playing off each other incredibly well - in fact, I was a bit of a hero to them because they secretly wanted it that way.) If that school opened the job up again...I would be paying THEM to take me back.

    Go with what is first offered...the other may never come. And you don't know what is waiting for you at that first school.

    :)
     
  14. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    True...I think I said I would accept the first one that offers , even if it is an interim. The advice I was given was to take the job then if offered a full time job, talk to the P of the interim position and take the full time job. I would HATE to go back on my word. Anyway...like I said...nothing yet from the 3rd grade interim so I'm not sure that I got it anyway. I'll email tomorrow after the science lab interview (11 am). However, I'm sure if they want me they'll call first thing in the morning since they want someone in there on Friday. Oh well...I'm not even worrying about it. Still trying to get my labs/experiments together for tomorrow. I'm so indecisive.

    Thanks, Everyone for the well wishes and the advice!!! :)
     
  15. Jlyn07

    Jlyn07 Comrade

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2008
    Messages:
    429
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Good luck - I hope your interview goes well!
     
  16. nogenrewriter

    nogenrewriter Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009


    I love stories like this. :atoz_love:
     
  17. katrinkakat

    katrinkakat Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1,577
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Oh L8ybugmom I hope you get it! It doesn't sound like the sub is staying. PS. Isn't meta-cognition the one that is "thinking about thinking?" What a weird question to ask.
     
  18. l8ybugmom

    l8ybugmom Groupie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 2, 2009

    Thanks, Jlyn and katrin! :) Yes...Metacognition is thinking about thinking. LOL! Who knew I'd see that word again after graduation! Seriously, I just blanked. The teacher was a sweetheart and explained it to me....I could totally give her examples of how I'd use that in class. I think it was supposed to throw you. She seemed like she had explained it before. I bet she even had to look it up or I hope she did. :)
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. jaimebradley,
  2. Ima Teacher,
  3. MissCeliaB
Total: 330 (members: 4, guests: 304, robots: 22)
test