Bachelors degree

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bengie03, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012

I currently hold an associates degree in child development, and I am currently facing the dilemma of whether it is worth getting my bachelors degree. My career goal is to become a preschool teacher and I reside in California. I was just wondering if getting a bachelors degree is worth it?

3. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Oct 18, 2012

Now, obviously, it's totally your call. But, I once discussed this with my program planning professor.

If you want a preschool director or administration (curriculum planning, etc.) position, a BA in child development is extremely useful.

If you want to teach, your AA and experience as a head teacher will automatically make you a top candidate.

I've decided to continue with a BA in liberal studies + teaching credential (I currently have an AA in child development and Master Teacher permit) so that I can teach elementary school or preschool. In California, I want as many doors open to me as possible.

Hope that helps!

:) Sarah

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 2, 2012

Get the Bachelor's. Many preschools are starting to require it. Mine requires all teachers to have the Bachelor's by the end of 2013.

I just advise you get it because you never know what opportunities or hardships might be coming up. With the Bachelor's, you just have more opportunities for the future.

5. preteach

preteach Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

Bachelors

I just went back to finish my Bachelors degree. I feel like there will be higher educational requirements in the future and I want to be prepared.