Baby vs Mistake... Apples and oranges.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, May 19, 2011.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 19, 2011

People judge for every little darn thing.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

People can judge all they want, but they really have no business saying anything to me about my choices unless they're people that I care about who are telling me because they think I need to hear it.

To make generalized and judgmental statements like "You shouldn't have had a baby out of wedlock" is rude and pointless. Nothing can be done about it now, so saying anything just serves to bring about bad feelings.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 19, 2011

I wish I could "like" your post lol...

I agree.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2011

I'm going to guess that the judge scraped a nerve that was already raw: maybe people have been advising this young man that he should move on from this "mistake" and leave the child to the mother, and he's having none of it?

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 19, 2011

I agree that people judge all the time, but that does not make it alright to discuss it out loud. Yes, I judge those in the waiting room but I am not going up to them and telling them what I think.

I also think there is a difference between the word "mistake" and "unplanned". To me, a pregnancy that is a mistake is someone who got pregnant when they really shouldn't of (age, money, support, etc.). An unplanned pregnancy is one that was not planned out for but not necessarily a bad thing. This is not including when the baby actually comes

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 19, 2011

No one plans an accident. Can't really compare.

Very true...besides.....a judge is um....a JUDGE who um....JUDGES :lol:
    Yea....personally I'm tired of hearing "stop judging" For crying out loud we judge every single day. And it's true...if you don't want to be judged, don't do things that people judge aka take responsibility of your actions.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

Isn't an accident usually caused by a mistake...usually. I mean if I swerve to hit a deer & run into a tree how is that not my mistake...after I've heard over & over it's better to just hit the animal than try to swerve.

I'm not saying mistakes don't happen in this situation...like forgetting the pill & other things not working, but I'll stand beside it, it is your choice to make the decision to "do the deed." People just seem to forget what may happen & like a lot of things are ready to blame something else for the "unplanned" situation.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 20, 2011

BUT....not all car accidents are mistakes no matter that it's called an "accident". That's what I was getting at.

9. math1abee

math1abee Companion

May 20, 2011

Personally, I find this post sort of confusing. ;) I was a "mistake" but my parents were able to take care of me and everything was ok so does that make me "unplanned" instead? Or was it the fact that my parents "did the deed" and got pregnant that was the mistake and I was just "unplanned." LOL. I like this post too Science, it's very interesting.

Personally, I think that a baby is NEVER a mistake because it is God's creation (essentially) and I bet everyone on this post would agree with that. There's no way a baby could be anything other then God's miracle.

However, I think that when applying the term "mistake" or "unplanned" there are many gray areas when addressing this specific situation and excluding others. For example, it may have been a mistake for my parents to have "done the deed" because it caused something unplanned. But on the other hand if my husband and I had done the same thing it would just be unplanned because we are in a situation that makes that predicament ok aka not a mistake.

So I guess what I'm trying to say especially in reference to the out of wedlock aspect is that some people believe that if a baby is created out of wedlock then the act of that creation was a mistake, not the baby and when people who are married and stable get pregnant and weren't ready then it is just "unplanned." However, some people may feel that the baby actually was a mistake because some people do believe in abortion and wanting to "erase" that mistake. So like I said, it seems to me that this is a little confusing because there are so many gray areas when applying these specific words. :)

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you if the guy in the courtroom acted appropriately or not because I don't know how the judge addressed the comment towards him. But those court shows sure are addictive! :D

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 20, 2011

The fathering of a illegitimate child was just one of many "poor choices" that the young man made. The point I was making was it was ironic, or whatever you want to call it, that the young man would "go off".

I should have included that he was in the court because of money owed to an ex-girlfriend, not the mother of his child. The timeline of "being with" the ex-girlfriends and the conception of the baby was a very, very short (to be read as a guy who sleeps around, kind of like Two and a half men's Charlie Harper but without the money or talent)
    I know poor choices, I have made my share.