Baby Shower invites (part vent)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Feb 10, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

How far in advance are you supposed to send baby shower invites?

A friend from out of state wanted to throw me a baby shower...she is in charge of invites, and other small things (but the main hostess). She will be flying in at midnight the friday before, and then have the shower Sunday...her return flight leaves the following morning.
    At first I was excited about her coming (I still am...), but things have been so difficult in getting her to actually do the invites. She sent me a link last month and asked me to pick out the ones I liked (I picked the cheapest ones b/c even those are 1.05 a piece). They still have to be ordered, printed, and shipped...then she has to address them and send them out.
    I started getting emails from people asking when it would be b/c they needed to make plans to come...and so on. She was busy with work (at a church), and couldn't focus on them...which is totally reasonable. I asked the other person helping (my bro's gf) to send her a message to see if she could help in anything. This girl will be doing food and decorations...the bulk of the cost. Luckily, we are using my mom's house. They will be cooking the food, but the ingredients might get pricey.
    Out of state friend calls and tell me she got a message from the other girl...and SHE is frustrated that she is being bothered. I told her that Target has cute invites for $5 per pack of 10...a lot cheaper than the ones to be ordered. She said that she didn't want to waste the ink on her printer. I told her they were the kind you write in...and she said that would take too long...omg...I had to go at that point.
    The girl here is more than willing to help...and I can certainly do them (although that might be weird...). Later that evening she emailed my mom to tell her she ordered the invites and they will be shipped to her in 2 weeks...ugh! By the time they get out the party will be a month away. Then I dunno how long it will take to mail them to everyone from another state...
    She scheduled her flight to come in at 11:45 PM that Friday...I'll be about 32 weeks pregnant at this point...wtf...I don't know if I'll be able to walk.
    This whole thing is just starting to get annoying, and I'd rather do it myself. I know she has a job, but I don't...and I feel so dumb not being able to help.
    I do appreciate her wanting to do this...but I think it's a bit much for her at this point. Her job is very demanding around Easter season, and she knew it would be hard.
    I hate to sound like I am not grateful...b/c I am...very! I just think it would have been easier for my bro's gf to plan it, and get input from her.

I think I'm just stressed from being stressed... no money... no work...pre-term labor...just all cr@p...

Thanks for reading...and how long do I have to send them out again? lol

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 10, 2010

I'm sorry you're stressed about it! Maybe your brother's gf needs to just take a stand and take the reins so it gets done.

I think invites should go out at least a month ahead of time in order to give people time to make plans. 32 weeks is cutting it awfully close, especially since there's a good chance you will go into labor early.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

THey should go out 1 month or 3 weeks before....and you should'nt even know about it, forget about all the stress you having from this.

Good luck!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 10, 2010

I, too think a good month in advance is good to send invites.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

I think at least a month in advance, keeping in mind I have people in my family who have their schedules created six weeks in advance. I realize you can't accomodate everyone, but at least a month in advance gives people a better chance of doing what they need to do in order to attend.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

Can Bro's girlfriend send out "Save the Date" emails if you think the time frame is too tight?

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Alice..I'll let her know that might be a good option.