Baby shower gifts?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by JaimeMarie, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 15, 2006

My friend is having a baby in two months. She hasn't really put anything on her registry. She says she doesn't want any one to spend money on her. I know she has a crib, carriage, changing table, basinet, car seat. What other items are a must for a new mom and baby?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2006

diapers, wipes, a boppy, for me the cover that' goes over infant seat in winter/rainy weather, baby tylenol/advil, bath supplies...

4. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 15, 2006

Something I always buy for new parents are homeopathic teething tablets. Check your health food store, or lots of Wal-Marts are carrying them. I babysat for a family that kept them in stock, and they relieve almost every symptom... They're totally awesome, and lots of people don't know they're around.

5. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Mar 15, 2006

Precooked meals. coupons to sit with the baby while mom sleeps. baby swing, bouncy seat, baby gym bar (plays music with characters on the bar-baby lies under it, I think they even have ones that can change as baby grows),

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Mar 15, 2006

Diapers, wipes, baby "head to toe" shampoo, and disposable bibs and changing pads are all essential things that you need no matter how many kids you already have.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2006

I always give babysitting coupons. I also arrange with other families we know to take dinner to the family for two weeks. Both have always been very appreciated.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2006

Ohh, clothes for mom after the baby- stretchy stuff that she can wear before she fits back into her old stuff. The ladies I've worked for say it's so depressing to have to put your maternity pants back on after the baby is out!

9. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Mar 15, 2006

If you want to buy something special rather than something usefull, look at book stores. You find some beautiful books on baby's first five years where you can record everything from baby's birth details to locks of hair from first haircut to first Christmas and Birthday details to teething dates to to to... and it goes on. My husband bought me one by Anne Geddes and it is really really special. Can't wait to use it someday!!!

10. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Mar 15, 2006

anything that goes quickly. dipws, diapers, diaper rash cream, bibs, etc. We are doing a "bear" necessities shower tomorrow at work for the grade 1 teacher. the idea is to give her everything a first time mom needs.... safety latches for cupboards, nursing pads, wash cloths, burp cloths.....

11. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Mar 16, 2006

I just threw a baby shower for a dear friend of mine, and made a "diaper cake." Sounds weird, but hear me out. It's a non-edible cake made out of diapers, blankets, burp cloths, etc. You can find out how to make them on the internet. You make it like a three-tier wedding cake, and then decorate it with little goodies, like booties, bottles, socks, etc. ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! I had people taking pictures of it for their personal files and got tons of compliments. My friend said it was the best gift she ever received (as well as the cutest). And it supplied her with a TON of diapers right off, which is such a high need right at the start!!
    Another idea would be a coupon book (or even a coupon) for a free homecooked dinner from you. I was so tired at first, and even more so when I had to return to work after my maternity leave that we ate out all the time. I had a friend who gave me a coupon for a homecooked dinner one night, and I loved it!!! Gave me a break, and saved on the bank!!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 16, 2006

Thank you for all the ideas everyone. The only things that wouldn't work are the baby sitting, and meal cooking. I live to far away from her. Besides she has five sisters LOL.
    I'll have to talk to my mother and let her know about all the ideas and see what she wants to do. I wanted to get the boppy thing. But I think someone already got it. Darn it.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

You know stuff for when baby is older is nice....sippy cups, small bowls/plates, baby sized utensils, I got small tupperware size for baby. Gift cards are nice...we used our last one after baby was 1 yr. Extra sheets/mattress pad for baby crib! we actually put most of these when we registered!!!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 16, 2006

That is the thing she didn't put anything on her register because she doesn't want people to spend a lot of money on them. I told her they are going to any way so she should put down stuff she likes.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2006

One gift that I really appreciated (so many years ago!) was a HUGE gift basket of treats for me...cheese, canned shrimp, decaf coffee, herbal tea, chocolate, non-alcoholic wine, crackers, antipasto, cookies, canned fruit, etc. It lasted forever, and I really appreciated the ability to be able to grab a quick, special snack or lunch with no preparation.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 16, 2006

something kind of new is those shopping cart covers they fit over the little "seat" of a cart and the baby doesn't pick up the germs from others.

also handy might be nursing night gowns for the mom (if she is going to nurse).

solid color crib sheets, diaper jeanie, toys that clip on strollers or car seat, scrapbook supplies with baby theme, film or photo paper, baby socks, sleepers in a bigger size than new born, photo sitting, baby sling, basket for mom, hooded bath towels.

These are some of the things I can think of that are helpful to have even if others get them.

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2006

Those baby slings that the mom can wear are my mom's all-time favorite. She always hated the backpacks, but with the sling you can wear the baby on your front or your hip, and keep your hand free for shopping, housecleaning, etc.

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2006

Oh ABall, I completely missed baby sling on your list! ;)
    They really are great.

19. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 16, 2006

In our home school group, I see a lot of mom's wearing a few different types of them, some like the kind you can let the baby be in and nurse and some like the kind that hold them up right.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

Headroll for baby car seat. My friend had an extra and gave it to me. Monitor system.