Baby registry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jan 8, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

As many of you know...I'm having twins in May. I am planning on making a registry per a request from several friends and family members.
    I know some of you don't like the idea of registries...but please no negative comments. Although I might demand everyone buy a book with the matching stuffed animal as one of the gifts. (j/k just me! Lol)
    My mom, best friend from Tx, and brothers gf have set the date for March to give baby shower.
    What are some items that would be good to have for twins? To date I have 1 pack n play and a few outfits. Bf is convinced they will share a crib...um...no.
    This list will also help me gather items that are need to have rather than just cute and want to have.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Before I start, I want to point out that while they will eventually need seperate cribs, numerous studies link co-sleeping multiples to better health and development, at least in the newborn days.

So, what else do you need....

-Diaper Pail. I loved my diaper geanie. The smell was well contained and it was easy to use. The refills weren't that expensive
    -"sack" style sleepers. These are the ones that used to have drawstrings, but now the bottom is elastic. The sleepers are just like night gowns, but go well below baby's feet. In the newborn days, they're great.
    -you can never have enough receiving blankets
    -you can also never have enough burp cloths
    -crib sheets
    -two mobiles...one over the crib and one over the diaper changer
    -pad for diaper changer (you don't need an actual diaper changer..the fancy pads on top of the dresser work just fine).
    -Diaper wipes and diapers

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of....these are just the basics.

4. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

http://www.miracleblanket.com/

I highly recommend the miracle blanket. A little one I nannied for would only sleep with her miracle blanket on and she was sleep for 2-3 hours at a time. It was a miracle!

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Oh, and a boppy.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

Do you have the double stroller yet? Cause you're going to need one!

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 8, 2010

You could register for numerous items but you need to remember... do you have the room to store it all. If you are living in a small home or an apartment with no room to spare then I would really think hard as to what would go on the registry. Otherwise, where will it go?
    To me the #1 item would be 2 brand new car seats and for your own peace of mind a good baby monitor.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

No stroller yet...my WIC program provides me with one when I complete all of my doctor visits...but I don't think that it will come until they are 3 months.
    Thanks for the ideas.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

It looks neat, but I don't know if I could justify 30 bucks for a blanket, when getting the newborn nursery nurses to teach you how to do a good job swaddling the babies with a 5 dollar receiving blanket with accomplish the same goal.

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Go to your local Babies R' Us and they'll hook you up with everything you'll need. I worked there for 5 years while going to college.

I saw someone said burp clothes..unless your children will have a good aim! lol Go for cloth diapers, much bigger and will last longer!

obviously you'll need infant carriers. There are a few double strollers that act as Travel Systems so you can just sit the car seat in..which would probably be nice for you since you'll probably use a stroller more in summer months as opposed to winter months!

Extra carseat bases, either for your cars..or for grandparents(course they can just get their own! lol)

I am always against giving diapers 1. b/c one day I'll be using cloth diapers whenever I start to have kids 2. I was allergic to most as a baby...and you don't want to end up with a bunch of diapers that you can't return.

If you ask for diapers, ask for various sizes, so you don't end up with all newborn and size 1.

I also agree about the Sleep Sac/Gown. Easy access when they need changing! In the winter months, they have large oversized fleece ones that zipper up the front.

swings
    bouncy seat
    entertainers for when they are older
    highchairs..or something similar
    extra sheets for your PNP
    Whatever kind of feeding system you are using! if bottles varying size bottle nipples
    Pacifers
    toys and teethers
    thermometer
    diaper bag with changing pad
    I always liked the Diaper Champ better than the Diaper Genie b/c it took regular trash bags, and was easier to change than a Diaper Genie. And I always went with the theory...how long do you really want smelly diapers hanging around..even if they are in something that can contain the smell! lol

hmm..I'll stop. Babies R' Us is coming back! haha

11. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 8, 2010

I found a suggested registry list at thebump.com. We went looking for baby furniture this weekend and I wanted an idea of some of the other stuff that we might need. The list was HUGE but had some things that I might not have otherwise thought of. I will probably use it as a guide when I register but I am sure there is some stuff that I will leave off.

12. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

read the monitor boxes about the megahertz. A lot of them will have have interference if you have cordless phones, are near cell towers, wireless net etc. Most come with at least 2 channels to mess with..but that was the biggest reason for monitor returns was the static..or randomly picking up neighbors phone conversations, or neighbors baby monitors themselves! lol

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

I would take someone with you that already has a baby. So many things at the store look cute but you never really will use them. Someone who already has a baby will be right there with you, letting you know what worked for them and what just sat on a shelf or in the closet.

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Thanks everyone.

I thought about bringing someone with me...maybe I'll recruit mmswm ;)

My mom said I need baby swings...they were essential when she had me and my brothers.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Baby's R Us at North Pointe tomorrow or Sunday would work :D

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Swings are great, but not essential. They take up a lot of room, and if you need two.....

17. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

We had a small swing that could sit on the table top and did not take up too much room. It also folded up so you could bring it with you. I am not sure how much they are.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 8, 2010

For me personally, I had some things I NEEDED, and some I didn't. My biggest advice is not to go too crazy until the girls are born-have your car seats, a supply of diapers, whatever you need to feed (bottles or breastfeeding supplies-I'm no help there, but bottles I can help with), a few blankets, and some warm jammies. I would suggest a swing or a papasan type chair (at least one), especially with twins, since you're going to have to put one down to feed the other for a while. Oh, and one crib will do until they get a bit bigger. You don't need a pack-n-play, bassinet, and crib to start with. Your babies will tell you what they like and don't. Once you have the hang of things, then start adding the extras.

Things I found essential:
    Swing
    Lots of bottles, cause I was always dropping them behind the couch and losing them.
    Pampers
    zip up onesies or jammies

Things I thought I would like but didn't:
    Diaper genie-the sausage thing is gross, and I hated having to push the dirty diapers down the tube
    Drop ins bottles-always blew out. But I did like them for when we were out and couldn't wash a bottle.
    Any diapers other than Pampers (I know-diaper snob)
    Exersaucer-girls hated it
    Wipes warmer-breeding ground for bacteria
    Sleep sacks-neither girl like them, and I found them chilly and hard to handle.

Things I found completely unnecessary:
    Changing table-takes up too much space, and we just used a towel on the floor or bed
    Bottle warmer-doesn't really work well, and certainly not fast enough.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I think of more I'll come back!

19. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Thanks!

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

KC...it's funny what some people love and others hate. I loved my diaper geanie, and while I was a diaper snob, it was with Huggies. I hated pampers. I also loved the drop in liners, but only with William. I had to wean Stuart long before either of us was ready because I was pregnant with William, and I didn't like the drop ins for exactly the same reason as you. With William, he was in the NICU/PICU for so long, I wound up bottle feeding expressed breast milk. I couldn't be there for every feeding and he just never got the hang of nursing. I froze my milk in bags that you just thawed out and stuck in the bottle...no transfer mess.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 8, 2010

I know! I went back and read after I posted, and it seems I'm about the complete opposite from everyone else.

Just goes to show ya, you can get all the advice in the world, but you just won't know til your kids are born!

But really, don't go out and spend a ton of money. Newborns really are relatively low maintenance, as long as they are warm, dry, and fed (of course, preemies are a different story). Plenty of kids were raised without swings and boppies and binkies and fancy diapers (how, I don't know and I'm happy I didn't have to be one to do the raising! ;)) When you are ready to add the fun extras, it makes a good excuse to leave the babies with daddy for an afternoon and go out shopping!

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Yup....you said you couldn't live without your swing, but I got rid of mine in a hurry. I hated it. But I would have died without my boppy.

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2010

My kids hated the swing, all three of them. I suggested to friends that they wait until they see if their baby is the type to like motion or not before they purchase one....they're expensive and they take up a lot of room. I don't see why twins couldn't share one, though...I can't imagine that they'd both NEED to be in a swing at one time.

When you are registering, make sure you look ahead at things the babies may need later on in the first year...because there will be no one to buy those things for you then - a shower is sort of your one shot at getting larger gifts. I know it means you have to store the stuff, but I'd rather deal with that problem than have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for two high chairs in six months.

Make sure you register for only things you really think you'll need. I've been to showers lately where the registry had 12-15 pages of stuff on it, and of course, the gift-givers gravitated towards the "cute" stuff, toys, clothes, diaper bags, etc. But that meant that the mom-to-be got none of the essential gear, and had to put out a lot of money at once right before the baby was born.

As far as what I think you NEED:
    car seats
    stroller
    bottles (I used and loved my Avent bottles)
    some basic clothing (onsies, sleepers, socks, bibs)
    diapers
    wipes
    something for them to sleep in, a crib, a bassinet, whatever
    sheets and bedding and blankets for that
    high chairs for later on

Other things that you probably need, but I wouldn't call essential to the baby's life:
    a bouncy chair,
    a pack and play (could also be their sleeping space for a long time)
    an exersaucer
    a swing
    extra car seat bases if a second car will be transporting them
    a front pack carrier
    a toy arch
    a boppy
    a diaper bag
    a baby bathtub

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2010

Most showers that I have been to lately when the sex of the child is known, mostly clothes are given. Children grow so fast and they will outgrow those clothes very quickly.

My nephew's wife had a shower a few months ago and one thing that she did not get that she really wanted was a cd player to have in the baby's room to play for him.

I agree, gowns are nice and you will appreciate having them since you are having two.

Exersaucers and boppies are like swings; some children like them and some don't. Pacifiers are the same; two of my children loved them and two of them hated them. One thing to remember about pacifiers it is better to have a pacifier with the same kind of nipples as the bottles. The child may suck it better then. My dd1 would not suck a pacifier until my oldest sister told me to find one that had the same kind of nipple as the bottle. When I got that one, she would not let go. As you will find out with a baby or babies in you case, everything is trial and error.

Oh and it was definitely Huggies for me. I did not like Pampers at all.

One thing that has come to mind that you will need is Dreft or some other brand of detergent to wash the girls clothes in. I always preferred Dreft.

26. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 9, 2010

You've gotten great advice. I just want to add that I agree that a changing table is not necessary at all. Like KC said, a towel on the floor works just fine. Getting down on the floor is not that much of a pain, and you'll save a lot of money by not getting one. What I did with mine was buy a dresser (that they needed anyway) and changed them on top of that.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2010

I would worry less about the outfits-- people tend to give them as "new baby gifts" after the kids are born. Besides, it's possible to shop on sale or get hand me downs if you need to.

I haven't read beyond the first post. It's early and if I read someone else's ideas my mind will go blank.

So here goes, the bare minimum that you need:
    - a pair of car seats. I loved the Graco ones that allowed me to purchase a spare base for the other car.
    - someplace for the babies to sleep. In a pinch, a Pack and Play will suffice
    - changing pads. In a pinch, your bed makes a decent changing table.
    - a stroller. Keep in mind that you can't put a newborn into an umbreller type stroller-- their necks aren't strong enough to support their heads. One that works with the car seat is probably your best bet, so you can take the "bucket" from the car into the stroller.

When Brian and Julia were little (though not twins) I got them the Graco (I think) stadium seating double stroller. I didn't like the side by sides, since they're hard to fit through the aisles of some stores. Go to your local Babies R Us and test drive some twin strollers, even if you're registering elsewhere. Be sure that they're easy to open with one hand, reasonably light (as you put it into the car) and relatively easy to manuever.

- a book on baby's symptoms and an ear thermometer.

- a moniter. My kids were young before the video moniters came out, and honestly, it was fine just hearing what they were doing; I didn't need to see them as well.

-Not an absolute necessity, but Kira LOVED her swing! I got her one of the smallish tabletop ones, kind of like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815254

- You'll need some place to put the baby down. I liked those sling seats-- they're inexpensive, and easy to carry with you to mom's or someplace similar.

- a good diaper bag. I loved my Land's End one; it was indestructable. Avoid the temptation to get one in cutesy pastels-- they show every bit of dirt (and your bf will probably balk at carrying it.) Mine was navy blue, and I got a small one and a large one. The large one came in handy a LOT when I had multiple kids to deal with. The one bag lasted through all 3 kids: http://www.landsend.com/pp/DoItAllD...sku_0=::ADB&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

- I had a diaper genie, and thought it was so-so. If you're going to get one of those systems, make SURE it's the one that can use normal grocery bags instead of the bags they provide. It's NOT fun to realize that you have no Genie bags left and have to schlep to Babies R Us to have to pick some up, and they tend to become expensive after a while.

- Each of my kids used a pacifier until they were 6 months old, then stopped cold. (Brian, who arrived at 7 months,stopped at 8.) It's incredibly soothing for a baby.

- Some bottles. Figure out what you're planning in terms of breastfeeding/bottle feeding, then get some backup in case your plans change.

- Diapers. But don't overbuy-- different people swear by different brands. Instead, start collecting coupons.

- Go to the Similac and other formula websites, and register. They'll start sending you coupons (and I think a starter kit) for formulas. Any you don't use can be donated to a local food bank, but you can save some serious money with those coupons. Powdered formula is also MUCH cheaper than liquid.

- Get some cloth diapers. They are the BEST for when baby spits up. Julia gave back about a third of every bottle she ever drank, and those diapers were lifesavers!

-Receiving blankets. They're all purpose.

- Some baby detergent. Baby's stuff has to be washed separately at first because their skin is so delicate. I know that Drell is one brand, but there are others out there.

-Eventually a high chair.

- Stuff for YOU when you get home from the hospital. You'll need some Hospital style sanitary napkins-- no one ever told me that!!! And stock up on paper plates. Start to think of meals you can make ahead of time and freeze. Those early days, when you're sleeping 2 hours at a time, you do NOT want to think about dinner. Also stock up on thank you notes and stamps; you won't be able to drive for a few weeks after you give birth.

- My kids adored the Baby Einstein videos. It wasn't about making any of them a genius. It was about entertaining an infant for long enough for me to take a shower or make dinner. They're labeled as to age, and you can get them from the libary instead of buying, or to preview.

- Start getting recommendations on pediatricians. This is important! The hospital will have one on staff, but you'll have to take the babies to your own doctor within that first week or two after thy're discharged.

28. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

I think one thing to remember is to have expensive and/or big items along with the small inexpensive items too. A lot of people like to go together to get those big items. I think one thing I would put on my list to get, wether it be you buy it or put it on your list for others to get is a nice comfortable rocker for those late night feedings. We got one with a padded foot stool that rocked too. Along with that you may want to get a lamp for the babies room. I also like the cd player idea.

Here are some other things I was thinking of:
    Some of this may already be mentioned in other posts.

-Diaper bag
    - Mattress cover
    - hooded bath towels
    - baby bath
    - baby wash clothes
    - baby thermometer

- think of storage too
    baskets

I know there is more, but I can't think of it right now. Some of the bigger items you can get later or even used. I always loved going to garage sales and buying slightly used items for great prices.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

Ok I'm going throw my 2 cents in.
    -Some didn't mention this but register for clothes at different ages. We actually registered for sippy cups & containers for food ie tupperware type things. I was trying to think of things as the babe grew.
    -Ours LOVED the swing. We actually had 3 different ones. We registered for the table top one, mom found one at garage sale & friend let us borrow hers. Which worked out because I was able to "leave" one at the fam member who watched babe.
    -Diaper Genie... HATED IT. It was so much easier to use a plastic bag!!! Luckily that was a hand me down thing.
    -http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&sku=15128003 I never used mine in the tub, but after the bath I could set the babe on this.
    -Hooded towels are nice.
    -If you are breast feeding a good pump.

30. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 9, 2010

A baby nail clipper, and little mittens so they don't scratch their face while you build up the nerve to cut their nails (while they are sleeping) so you don't cut their finger tip.

infant Tylenol for the inevitable fever and/or teething

Desitin for diaper rashes

Lansinoh for nursing (if you plan to) Breast pads too.

dreft for laundry

When you put onsies and jammies, put a few for each size not just 2. You would be amazed how many twins go through.

31. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks!

Since they will pretty much be summer babies, I'm trying to get a lot of onsies...easy and I don't have to dress them up.

I really don't know what we are going to do about space. Live in a 2 story, 2 bedroom townhouse. The top floor has the 2 bedrooms and 1 shared bathroom. The 2nd room is currently for his 5yr old...but she is only there on the weekend. He wants to cram everything in there...and it's just not happening. Our room is way too small for a crib, or the pack n play. It has an unfinished basement...and he plans on living there until they are old enough for school.
    The county has bad schools, and he wants them somewhere nicer. I don't want to live there at all...he claims to not hear them...but I hear gunshots at least 2-3 times a week. Large Hispanic and Black gang populations around. UGH!
    My parents are no longer an option for me. My dad finally got an interview in Texas, and if all goes well...he and my mom will move to Austin before the summer.

I really like the car seats that can be put directly in the stroller. He didn't like them, because he wanted the ones that grow with the baby. Too bad for him. He can buy his own then. On my Mothers of Multiples forum, this lady had twin girls and offered me her 2 car seats, bases, and snap and go stroller (only a year old) for $80! He said no! WTF?!

The multiples group has a great consignment sale...but it's in May. Not sure how much I will be able to move at that point...or they might be here. I figured that would be a nice place to get the things that we didn't get but might need from the shower.

We already have a lot of safety things (outlet plugs, locks for cabinets, etc.) from dealing with his 5yr old. All of her things were given to her Aunt b/c she had a baby girl. Honestly, not be mean...but I wouldn't want her things. These are my babies, and I want the chance to pick some things out.

Again, I appreciate everyone's responses!

32. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

Oh...and yes, I plan on trying my best to breastfeed. Don't know how I'll do with twins...but I'm going to try.

33. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 9, 2010

My sister did it, it was fine but you need help.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

I used dreft at the beginning to me it was "strong." We switched to All Clear & never had trouble with it!!!

I know someone said they liked them & someone said they didn't, but I loved the sleeper bags!!! They were the best ours lived in those for the first couple weeks. I just hated stretching them all out trying to put clothes on. Made sure they had socks on. Babe seemed so much more comfortable & it was so easy to change in the middle of the night.

-We used "butt paste" for the babies... worked so well!!!

-Baby Orajel as well...helpful when they are teething!!!!

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XRDZ1EWKW6W5D95CGR9
    A fam member gave us one of these because she used it to change babies on the bed or floor... it gave you a little something to protect that surface. I loved this thing!!! I had some pads that cousin gave me to put under baby when you changed them & a large terricloth type cover for the whole thing.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

I think you should invest in this... at least an extra set at the beginning or at least a beginning set!!! I LOVED my carseat/stroller thing.

36. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

Thanks!

I'm not interested in a real changing table unless it's one that can be used as a dresser, and you just need to put a changing pad on top of it. Will be hard to even pull that off in the small room. The link you just gave, Diznee, would be perfect.

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

Science... that's why I wanted you to see it because you can just put it up against your bed or something. We had a changing table & then in our room we just used that!!!

You may find one a little cheaper I was just trying to give you a visual....

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

That's the kind of pad I used, and my sister currently used. It's great because it can turn any surface into a changing table.

39. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

stay away from fisher price swings. They tend to over do it with all the options, songs etc. and the motors go out.

40. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

These car seats..or your infant carrier that clips into a stroller, as a group is called a travel system. Tell him that they'll need a bigger carseat down the road anyway when they have to go front facing. Snap and Gos are great, b/c they are light weight! And a Convertible cart seat that can start as rear facing and change to front facing, will not go as high in weight for the front facing carseat. So in short...they are going to need other car seats! So why not get the ones that will make life easier when they are little peanuts! :D

41. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 9, 2010

My twins forum recommended an Easy2Nurse pillow if you are nursing or even for feeding at the same time. http://www.doubleblessings.com/servlet/Detail?no=5

Also, bouncy chairs are great for early spoon feedings and take up less room than high chairs until they are really sitting up nicely. Also, you might start with just one swing, not all babies like it and you'd probably use it most when you are feeding/holding/changing the other.