baby nursery theme

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Loves the beach, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Dec 31, 2013

My little boy is due to arrive in May, and my sister-in-law has been pressuring me to come up with a room theme. She has good intentions, of course. She wants to buy some things for us and wants a general idea to work with.

She has her kids' rooms decorated in specific themes: Toy Story for the boy and butterflies for the girl. She did a fantastic job with their rooms, but I'm just not into specific themes. I'm more into color themes or very general themes. For example, my main living area is a woods/mountain theme ( with very neutral colors), and my bedroom is ocean theme. But no specific animals or objects. So for the baby's room I don't want something specific. She is mentioning Mickey Mouse or Lion King. Way too specific for me.

I'm thinking of going with a color theme. I know I want a somewhat modern touch as well. I really want to stick with our wall color ("sand dune", which is off an off-white almost tan color) Any ideas for me?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 31, 2013

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

We did more of a color theme in my little boy's room. It's been nice because it's kind of grown with him. I don't feel like he's going to outgrow the decor, if that makes sense, lol. I'm not one to redecorate often. :blush:

Our colors were denim blue, barn red, muted yellow, and tan. My mom made patchwork things for his crib, and these colors were in the fabrics. Three of his walls are a neutral beige color, and one is light denim blue. It added a pop of color.

Beth

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2013

I thought I would just do a color theme in my nursery (I'm due in May also), but I found a jungle themed bedding set that I like and decided to do that instead. Target had a few bedding sets that were just color themed-I almost got one that was gray and white chevron with yellow blankets and other items. Looking at the bedding sets helped me decide what to do in the room.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

I am like you and like color themes better. I am deciding between pink and green or pink and yellow for my twins due in May as well.

Pinterest has a ton of ideas. I wil agree that jungle bedding would look cute with cream walls. Or else I think a light blue and cream looks really nice together.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

I just typed in tan baby room ideas into google and houzz.com has a ton of ideas. I just signed up for the website and I really like it

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2013

My sis did light blue & chocolate brown!

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 31, 2013

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

My boys have a beach-themed (boats, anchors, fish, etc) room. I put chair railing around the room and the top is yellow paint and the bottom is blue paint. When my oldest was a baby the theme was complimented with cute, soft oceanic/water animals (baby froggies, baby turtles, baby ducks). Now that he is 6 and my middle son is three, I have less baby-stuff. Their comforters are like a plaid blue, their curtains are white, and I have more beach-oriented and coastal NC-based stuff in their room.

With tan you really can't go wrong with any theme. I think Jungle theme (tigers, elephants, and green bedding) would go great with a tan wall. I would NOT do something specific and character-oriented. You will have to change it dramatically in a few years. Something like the jungle theme (being broad) will easily morph and if you have anymore children will allow the room to big boy enough and baby enough for the next child.

11. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

I love that combo, my living room and bathroom are both that combo!

My computer room is my girl cave (a husband and three sons--eek!) and the colors are pink, black, and white. My mother in law says it's "very different," but it reminds me of my dorm days of about 7 or 8 years ago :)

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2013

I had loose Noah's Ark for a theme, but the room wasn't just the theme. Wall color was neutral because I knew we would be moving. All "themed" related items were in the wall hangings and things on the shelf. The mobile for the crib was what was received as a gift and wasn't "themed". The sheets for the crib were neutral. While there was some Ark themed items, most were neutral.

13. Loves the beach

Jan 1, 2014

These are great ideas. I was starting to think I was off my rocker for wanting to go with a color theme, as opposed to a character theme. Since I started this thread, two people have told me that I need to paint the room a bright color and have plenty of decorations in order to stimulate the baby's mind. They seemed concerned that I wasn't really into all that. While I don't want a plain, drab room, I don't want a cluttered feel to the room. I feel like things could get out of hand with a specific theme. People are suggesting wallpaper, borders, very expensive bedding and furniture...too stressful for me. And as some have mentioned, it would be a pain to completely redecorate every few years, which is what my sister-in-law does. This is fine for some, but I just don't have the time, money, or interest to focus so much on that type of thing. Thank you for the ideas. Any are helpful.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

That's interesting...Looking back at pictures, my baby room was 80's dark brown, olive green, etc., and I turned out just fine. So, I think baby will be ok without bright colors and expensive furniture. ;)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2014

We left walls white/cream & just hung pictures!

16. Loves the beach

Jan 13, 2014

Now for an update. Some family members offered to make me come curtains, a dust ruffle, and a comforter. They are jungle themed, but I love them! I said, "yes!" There are plenty of colors, and it will add some cheerfulness to the room. I have decided to go to Target and buy some empty frames and maybe put some photographs of things I've taken. As the baby grows up, the photographs can change. I thought about pictures of his grandparents, his pets, etc. Even as he starts to draw and color, I could frame his artwork. I think I'm not going overboard with the jungle theme. I may change my mind, who knows. Now, my sister in law is upset that I didn't allow her to paint and decorate the room. I expressed gratitude, but politely told her that we weren't painting and that we were going to try to stick with a room he can grow into without doing any major redecorations. She thinks I'm crazy and is still mad, but there's nothing I can do about that. I've asked her instead to help me as I register for my baby showers. I think she's still holding a grudge, because she made some snide remarks. I hate when things like this happen. It just puts a damper on all the excitement.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2014

Loves.... sounds good to me!!!