Baby Names

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LUCHopefulTeach, Apr 2, 2011.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

I'm part Italian, and I have an Italian first name (but pronounced the American way - except for the Italian relatives, who pronounce it the Italian way). It seems to be coming into vogue, though no one had the name when I was a kid. It's also spelled the Italian way, not the American way - and coupled with a Polish last name, my teachers were never quite sure what to do with me on the first day of school. And since people weren't quite sure what to do with it, EVERYONE tried to give me a nickname - which I didn't want.

It is a pain sometimes - misspellings, mispronunciations, etc - but I like my name.

Also: My cat is Boo Radley, as well :)

2. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

I love the name Heather!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

I never had any girls, but when I was pregnant with my oldest, I'd been thinking that if he was a girl I liked the name Patricia Marie. Then I realized that since my last name starts with an S, the initials would be REALLY bad.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

What kind of different thing do teachers need to do based on the child's nationality or background?

Someone once told me, "I love the way your daughters look. So racially ambiguous." ??

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

:lol: When we were going through names, I had thought of Thomas Nathaniel (Thomas is my dad's name), but our last name starts with A so that wouldn't have worked! I also thought of Nathaniel Ryan A

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 3, 2011

I understand the OP's comments about how her name may make people feel a certain way before actually meeting her. I've read/seen studies where if you have an ethnic sounding name, people will have all these stereotypical thoughts & may even do certain (unfair) actions based on the way the name sounds.

My first name isn't the typical all-American sounding name. I actually have no idea what people think when they hear or see my name, but my 1st name is very different. I've never known of another person ever w/ it. My middle name is the feminine form of my dad's middle name & then my last name is from my dad (like it usually is).

Yes, parents really NEED to think hard about how the name they give their baby will affect them for the rest of their life because an ethnic-sounding name may be great within the family of that culture, but unfortunately, out in the world where there's racism & any excuse to not hire someone, people out in the world can be very unfair & biased.

I'm going a little off topic here, but as we know, numerous celebrities, many of them w/ a caucasian physical appearance, have changed their ethnic names to something more American-sounding for the purpose of excelling, being more accepted, etc. in the entertainment industry. I'm not talking about stage names such as the singer named Prince, the singer Cher, rapper Eminem, etc.

One example is Jennifer Aniston wasn't born with that name. She was born Jennifer Linn Anastassakis. Her appearance is white & she doesn't have an accent & she STILL wanted to change her name to appear more Amercan in the public eye. So it's not just non white-looking people making changes.

For those who want to change the names they were born with, I don't look down on ANYONE who does if they think it will help them have a better/easier life. People have plastic surgery to change their noses, get bigger boobs, etc., etc. to feel better & be more accepted & that's their body going through pain, which I think is just as serious if not moreso than name changing.

Here's a couple from tons of sites stating what celebrities' BIRTH names are:

http://www.babynames.com/Names/Celebrities/

http://www.all-babynames.com/celebrity-real-birth-names.php

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

TNA. I don't get it.?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

T 'n' A. It's anatomical - and a very funny song in A Chorus Line.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

Oh, now I get it.

10. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 3, 2011

My fiance and myself can only agree on two names- Jackson and Audrey. We both have long lists of names that the other can't stand! :dizzy:

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

I think we just need to be conscientious - which teachers are more and more now than when I was in school (in a typical small town). "Jennifer" isn't necessarily going to be the white girl; "Maria" may not be the Hispanic girl; "LaTasha" may not be the black girl. We're crossing the cultural lines in regards to names, and as Caesar pointed out, pronunciation vs. spelling makes it difficult to determine how to say a name.

When there's a name on the roll sheet that I don't know how to say, I give it a whirl and ask them to correct me. That hasn't stopped me from making mistakes with sex before - I had a little girl named Tyler. I went to school with a girl named Michael. Last week I got a new elective class - a student whom I thought for sure would be a boy (based on the name) turned out to be a girl.

I guess we just need to understand that we can't look at a child and be shocked that their name doesn't fit the stereotypical image.

BTW - how on earth did you respond to the comment about your daughters? :dizzy:

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 3, 2011

Speaking of names, I was a floater for the day and was watching a kinder class for 20 mins while the teacher attended a meeting. The students were busy making reindeer.

I went over to this one girl and wanted to tell her she was doing a great job. I looked at her name tag...and had to look 2 more times because I was like omg, how do I pronounce that?! It was spelled...Auhnesity.

Turns out it was indeed Honesty!

That is probably one of the most 'creative' spellings I've seen......eesh!

14. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 3, 2011

I had a student with the name Actress and she absolutely hated it. I also knew a student named T-Shelle and it was pronounced Ta-Dash-Shelle. Apparently, the dash is pronounced?!?

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

My son has his paternal grandfather's Middle name as his name and my name as a middle name, John David. If I had bio daughter her name would have been Elisabeth June, (my MIL's name and my Bio Mom's) My step-mom said not to name a girl after her, Helen or Lucille,
    My ex believed as in Biblical days the father does the naming

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird's Boo, right? I love that book.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

My sister's name was Jane so mom would sometimes yell "Jayvid"

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

Where does it say that?

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

It does not say, but it was the practice, so her church said it was the way to do it. Remember the bible is very patriarchal, and her church was very conservative.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

Q. If father time married mother nature, what would they name their child?

A. In their youth, they would name their child ULTIMATE HAPPINESS,
    In their old age, they would name it DREADFUL MISERY. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::spitwater:

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 4, 2011

We had some difficulty picking out names. My husband had 3 adult children when our son was born. Their names are Paula and Paul (twins) and Lance. So I wasn't keen on letting him choose! Anyway, our son was also 6 weeks early and we hadn't finalized a name (this was back in the day when you didn't know the sex of your child). I wanted Lydia for a girl, but couldn't choose a boy's name. Wanted Daniel, but had awful experiences with students named Daniel. After he was born, we chose Patrick (my husband's middle name) and hubby wanted Ian for middle (he LOVES Ian Fleming!). And my scrawny preemie is also 6'3

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 4, 2011

Me too...in fact, if I remember from twitter, I think we have the same first name.

I have a boy name for my first name, and my middle name, because I was supposed to be a boy! My parents were uncreative. But I love it, because I'm named after both of my grandfathers. I love that it is unique and I'm not just another Melissa, Amanda, or Jennifer (no offense to any Melissa's, Amanda's, or Jennifer's!). What I don't love is no one can ever spell my name. I never had a personalized bike license, or cool pencils or coffee mugs. :(

With my children, I tried giving them names that would stand the test of time, yet be easy to spell. Totally failed with my first-now everyone tries to spell her name fancy. With the second, we just did what we liked. My third has an interesting story. We were watching the news one night, and saw a kid who qualified for state wrestling with our same last name, and just liked how his first name looked on TV. We went with it.