Baby Names

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LUCHopefulTeach, Apr 2, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

So my cousin is due with her first baby in early June. She is 50% German and 50% Polish but has always been extremely into the fake tan, dying her hair black, fake Italian look and she wants to baby to pass as Italian as well so she's going to give her an Italian first name.

This has gotten me thinking about names, the impression they give, and how hard it is to name your children when you are a teacher. My name is typically more popular among Hispanic or African American women but I am white. I have always been profiled by others due to my name before seeing them face to face. It has caused trouble during my life but not enough that I dislike my name or would change my name. More over, as teachers we typically build mental images of names based on students we previously had. I've heard from other teachers that this can make it difficult to choose a name.

I am wondering if any of these factors has altered or influenced what you have or will name your children.

Also, if you don't mind would you share your children's names? If you do mind, I completely understand!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

Not sure how your name has 'caused problems'?

My older son is named after my husband. My younger son has a traditional name, his middle name is a ship's name on which my husband had served.

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

Well without giving out my name it would be hard to fully describe. I personally have had some complications with the government (racial profiling, qualifying for services I haven't needed or shouldn't qualify for being white, not having them believe my name and make me jump through hoops) and unfortunate stereotypes and assumptions. It wasn't easy growing up with the name I have being the race I am due to the common perception of who my name should fit.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

My oldest is Brian. (With his Irish first name and Italian last name, I'm pretty sure that his teachers give that Korean kid in the seat a second glance on the first day.) His middle name is the name he had in Korea before he was adopted. Our feeling was that it was part of his story-- part of who he is-- and there's no way we could or would take that from him. Of course as a 12 year old American kid, he doesn't really see it as all that important at the moment.

We went crazy trying to name Julia!I remember the Christmas night 6 weeks before she was born, sitting in our living room with friends, trying every name in the baby book. I wanted Caroline; he was sure he would hear Neil Diamond-- not his favorite singer-- belting out "Sweet Caroline" every time we said her name. He wanted Roslind; all I could think of was Roslind Russel hawking the 18 hour bra. Finally I gave him a list of first names I could live with and middle names I could live with; he chose one from column A and one from column B. (He thinks her middle name is after his aunt, who had died shortly beforehand. Jokes' on him; it's after my grandmother :p)

Kira was somehow much easier; we both liked the name. My dad died 2 weeks before her birth, so the female version of dad's middle name became her middle name.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2011

There are definitely names I would never name my kids because of bad associations with challenging students or other people. I am also not a fan of names a person will have to spell every single time they give it to someone, or is pronounced differently than it seems to be spelled. I also don't like names that may seem strange or weird by others later in life - I have had a Dee Dee Tweet, for example. I didn't like our family names enough to use for our kids so we used fairly traditional names. In young adulthood none of them use nicknames so I guess they were good though one is spelled a traditional way rather than phonetic which he didn't like when he was first learning to read.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2011

Matthew is a Jr. It's one of the few things in my life that I regret. It has caused massive problems because my ex isn't very good with money.

Stuart's name just popped into my head during one of my (many) ultrasounds in the months I was hospitalized before his birth. While the tech was there, he turned his face to the "camera" and his features were so very clear, and the name just fit. His middle name is the male version of one of my sisters' names.

William is named after my father and a priest that holds a very special place in my life (Msgr. Henry). A more minor regret is the order of his name. I wanted them switched, but caved to pressure, much like I did with Matthew's name.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

My fiance is a Jr. as well and it has caused problems as well- switched tax returns, his father filing for a credit card with my fiances SSN, creditors thinking that my fiance is his father. I understand that trouble!

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 2, 2011

I don't have kids, but if I ever do, I'd name my child Kiernan (whether it's a boy or girl). I love that name.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

I think the most problematic names are names that are very difficult to spell and/or pronounce. If it's a traditional name like Jennifer, I think it should be spelled J-e-n-n-i-f-e-r, not something like G-y-n-y-f-y-r-r or something like that.

I think parents need to think about what the name looks like and how a stranger would pronounce it. Spelling your daughter's name like Lasha might make some people think it rhymes with Tasha, when really it is pronounced like La-Shay. Your daughter might get really sick of having to correct teachers on the first day of school, and who can blame her?

Of course, every parent has every right in the world to name their kid whatever they want, even if it's a name I don't like. :lol:

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2011

My oldest child has a first name that we just like (although we spell it differently, much to her chagrin!). Her middle name is after my favorite aunt. Middle son's first name used husband's middle name and a favorite middle name. Youngest son has a first name we like and a middle name after the great grandfather who was the first of the family to emigrate here from Germany. This son will be the last male in the extended family (and in the United States) to carry our last name... he won't be having children.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 2, 2011

I always loved picking out names. I began thinking of potential names for my kids when I was in college.

All three of my boys have Biblical first names. The oldest has his maternal grandfather's name as a middle name. Our middle son has my name as his middle name (that one was non-negotiable). With our third son, we went through a huge list of names and even tried contemporary names. In the end, though, I realized having Biblical names was too important to me. We had the hardest time naming our last son, because we could never agree on any names. Ironically, we ended up agreeing on a name I had flatly refused the first two times because I felt other kids would make fun of it...but somehow it seemed to fit the third time and, when I look at him now, the name absolutely fits him perfectly!

I wasn't teaching when we had our boys, so that wasn't a problem for me, but my ex worked in a pediatrician's office, so there WERE a lot of names I liked that she refused. One of my favorites for our third son was Ethan, but she listed 3 to 4 kids in the office with that name that were absolute brats. This happened with a LOT of the names I chose. Finally, she asked if I was going to work on any more names. I said "No, I'm not. Instead, I'm going to let you suggest names and *I'LL* shoot them down." Ah well, it all worked out in the end.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 2, 2011

My college roommate and I had the same middle name, and we both went by the same shortened version of it, which caused more than a few confusing moments when answering the phone. We have a "classic" middle name. It is also my Mom's middle name and my aunt's middle name.

My first name is an "old lady" name, like popular in the early 1900's kind of name. I was named after my grandmother.

Most people thought my roommate was black due to her first name. I know two people with the same name, and both of them are black.

14. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

Cerek- I totally get it. I've been thinking about names in a more serious manner since I got engaged. People think its a little silly but oh well.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 2, 2011

I'm female with a name that is typically given to males. I love it.

No kids here, we named our dogs after characters from To Kill a Mockingbird: Atticus Finch (ours is actually Abbicus and we call her Abby) and Boo Radley (she got the entire Boo Radley).

16. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 2, 2011

KU that's great and hilarious. I have a 2 year old French Bulldog named Gatsby after The Great Gatsby.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2011

I take after my mother in that since I was a child I will write names on a piece of paper over and over and over...the same name, different names...how a name looks is equally important to me as to how it sounds. I still do it, even knowing I won't have children.

I chose my future daughter's name in sixth grade: Victoria. I wouldn't name a daughter that now. I like two-name first names so I would likely go that route.

It is hard to ignore some of the associations made in the classroom...very true!

And please, people, stop adding complication to your child's life (and every teacher he or she will have) with the odd spelling. :p

I'm very happy with my dog's name (his first name is unique while his two middle names are taken from a character in a program I once watched).

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2011

If we're on to pets' names, my current cats are named Booger, Molly and Sally. Booger used to be Bogart, but I have three boys, and, well, do I really need to tell the rest of the story? :lol:

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2011

Your post made me laugh because I have always liked Hispanic names, like Tomas or Pilar or Carmen, but BF and I definitely don't look Hispanic at all. I think it would sound stupid to name my kids one of those names, especially if I tried to say it with the accent.

Variations in spelling don't bother me if they are mild. Like Cindy or Cyndi are both ok to me. But Syndee - too much.

I kind of find it annoying when siblings names match, but I also find it really annoying when they don't match at all - like you have one kid named Jill and the other is Bathsheba or something like that. Pick a general theme - trendy, classic, biblical, etc.

There are DEFINITELY names that I cannot name my kids because of associations to students. A LOT of names, actually. Also, I know how having a common or trendy name can kind of stink, so my kids will probably have unique but not totally off the wall names.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 2, 2011

I don't have kids yet but I defintely wouldn't pick a name that was too odd (spelling or otherwise) or too common. I guess the year I was born my name was very common. There were 4 girls with my name in one of my classes in school and it was quite annoying. The poor teacher couldn't keep us straight!

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 2, 2011

My husband and I have a girl and boy name picked out. We took nothing into consideration, just chose names we both liked! We don't have kids btw, but we're ready and waiting with names! :)

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2011

Oh, and I definitely wouldn't name my kids with the same initial....I have enough trouble getting it right as it is. :eek: What I forgot is that one of the dogs had the same initial and I had been calling him for years before the son came along....:dizzy: I love you sons, I really do! :hugs: Just cause I get your names mixed up when I am mad doesn't mean anything.....really! :help: Okay, at one point they said maybe I should just call them son - at school on a bad day they are all sweetie - I'm hopeless!:lol:

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2011

A common occurrence at my house. I call it "Roll Call". It generally goes something like this: "Ma, Wil, ***, er um, kid...yeah, the one I gave birth to." Or "***, er, William, er, Matthew, er, wait...bondie, which one are you. William, that's right.

I'm totally hopeless.

ETA: apparently I can't type the first three letters of Stuart's name. Both places I did have *** instead.

24. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2011

I won't list my kids' names because they stand out too much, but I will mention what went into selecting them.

For each child:

1) The name had to work in both Japanese and English -- it didn't have to be a classic English name, but couldn't sound extremely Japanese like Hideki or Katsuo. We did not want to have separate English and Japanese first names.

2) The name had to sound good with both mine and DW's last names (their Japanese birth certificate and passport actually do have DW's last name -- so unlike the first names, they do have separate last names).

3) The name had to have positive kanji (chinese characters used in Japanese) for it.

4) If possible, the name should have a familial reference.

Middle son's name is "misspelled" -- however, the misspelling makes the pronunciation less ambiguous.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 3, 2011

I think my parents just picked names for me and my brother (Although I think my dad picked the first names after cowboys)

My mom wanted both of our middle names to be her maiden name. However, my dad disagreed, as he wanted us to have "normal" middle names. So my brother's middle name is my dad's dad's name and my mother's maiden name and my middle name is just a middle name along with my mother's maiden name.

yay for two middle names

Oh, and here is a fun site:
    http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

26. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 3, 2011

You can't comprehend the problems or issues that names can cause?

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

When my son was born, he was premature. We had already agreed upon a set of names, but had a minor disagreement on the order. I wanted Evan Robert, and my husband wanted Robert Evan. So one day we're in the ICU, and the nurse tells us that we're supposed to go upstairs to the seventh floor to fill out the birth certificate. We were on the second floor. I had just been telling my husband that he looked like an Evan because he wasn't very big and Robert seem like such a strong big name for such a little guy.
    When the nurse told us that, we looked at each other and sprinted for the elevator. We took separate elevators. I got there first. Hah! His name is Evan Robert. (His own, and named after my father.)

And by the way, he's grew into a six foot two defensive linebacker, all state wrestler, and played several other sports. Being premature by 7 weeks didn't hurt him at all, and he would have been fine as a "Robert".

(I really wanted to name him "Boone" because he is descended from Daniel Boone, but I was afraid he'd be teased too much. I wish now that I had gone ahead and done that.)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

My cat is Boo Radley.

U
    Oh I can comprehend most things. I'm an extremely intelligent and capable woman. I can understand how having the name of a mass murderer could be problematic (there was a David Berkowitz at a workshop I attended on Friday). I understand how a 'made up' name or product name could cause questions (there was a story a few years ago of people naming their kids ESPN, I also used to frequent a food store that had a cashier named Aquanetta-like the hairspray).what I was questioning, and clearly you didn't understand that but the OP did (to whom I was addressing the question), was what kinds of problems would arise from a name the OP referred to as a Hispanic or African American name...the OP answered that question, so there is no need to question my understanding. But thank you for your concern.:yawn:

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

and back to babies names!!

My daughter if I ever have one will be Rachel Elizabeth. A close friend died when I was 4 or 5 yrs old, and that was her name. I have always said I would name my daughter that. I have never changed it. If I have a son I would like my maiden name has his first name and my mom's maiden name as the middle name. But DH isn't agreeing to that haha.

Growing up I hated having a unisex name. I would get things in the mail for Mr. Jaime all the time. UGH

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

my father is from Italy and my brother is named after him so he has a very Italian name 1st name, an American middle name and an Italian last name.
    My name is not Italian and very funny to hear some of my Italian relatives say Kim.

I love love the name Luca but my non Italian husband doesn't care for it. We compromised on the name Luke

For a girl it has Italian and Spanish meaning behind it but it has special meaning to me since it is after my mother and great grandmother.

31. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 3, 2011

Both of my sons first names have to do with their Norwegian heritage. The middle name of my oldest is the name of both of his grandfathers.
    The middle name of my youngest is his dad's middle name.
    I could have put a spin on both of the first names but having dealt with many children with first names that were spelled so differently from the norm I didn't want to have my sons spelling their names for the rest of their lives.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

My son's middle name was also my father-in-law's middle name. For his first name, I liked Alexander, Michael and Nicholas. Neither "Mike" or "Nick" sound right with our surname, so Alexander it was. We called him A.J. (his initals) for about 10 hours, but didn't like it. It's been Alex ever since.

With Lauren, I was torn between Lauren and Heather. No one else in the family liked Heather (my mom said, "You aren't serious?"), so Lauren it was. We chose her middle name because it sounded good with Lauren.

33. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 3, 2011

I had to fight with twins dad to get their names.
    I had already picked Alexis Grace before we found out it was 2 girls. He reluctantly agreed. Then he teased me about it bc that was name of contestant on American idol...ugh...I hadnt remembered.

He has a 6 yr old also with an A name...and he has an A name...and is a Jr. So he wanted a boy named after him to be "A III" ugh...I didn't want that AT ALL or all A names...why is he so special?!?

He wouldn't agree to Alexis unless the other twin had A name. At first I was very much against Aaliyah...but then realized I could call her "lia"...which I liked. I wanted to spell Alia...but we ended up with Aliyah...still not my fave...but at least no double A like his name (Aaron).
    So we have Aliyah Faith and Alexis Grace.

I'm named after 2 great-great grandmothers...very old fashioned I think. So I go by my initials...my dad named me that after I was born lol

34. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 3, 2011

BF and I have been trying to decide on baby names for a little while now; I think he wants them picked out so there is no fighting down the road. We have decided that we're most likely going to be naming our children after family members who have passed away.

For a boy, he wants the first name to be Bruce (after his father). We're not sure what the middle name would be yet. I'm not fully set on Bruce for a first name. We're considering John as a middle name, but only a middle name; with 6 John's in my immediate family as it is.. it won't ever be a first name.

For a girl we've decided on 3 names but unsure of the order.
    1. Irene Marie (Irene after his grandma and Marie after my great-grandma)- it also happens to be his mothers name; she thinks it would be after her. ugh.

2. Louise Marie (His grandmas middle name and Marie after my great-grandma)

3. Irene Evelyn (His grandma and my grandma (my dad's mom who passed away when he was 4)
    OR
    4. Evelyn Louise

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 3, 2011

I am Italian too and my first name is not Italian so my relatives (some have strong Italian accents) always add Italian endings to my name like -etta or -ina. Many of my 2nd and 3rd cousins have very typical Italian names and were named after grandmothers or aunts. On that side of the family it is very confusing since a lot of the girls have the same names. Sometimes they will call them by their first and middle names so you can tell them apart!

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

We had a very easy time with girls names...and I still think of girls names (though we won't be having anymore). We could NOT agree on boys names!! I wanted a Logan or Ryan but dh wanted something like Levi. Levi wasn't too bad, but when you paired it with the middle name Garrett, it became a no. Good thing we had a girl!

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

When my parents were picking out my name, one reason they chose it was that it wasn't very common (they didn't know anyone with that name), but it wasn't "unusual"--although it then became one of the top baby names of that year and a few years after, and I found myself one of several with that name in my class all through school. When I moved into the dorms in college, there was a girl with the same name as me in almost every room in the hall!

38. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 3, 2011

I was born...... many weeks premature :p (Born at 25 1/2 weeks)

My parents had fun deciding on a name. My name was Baby Boy for a while

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

Hahaha. Glad you made it, bros.

In my extended family with seem to have a plethora of Mary and Ann. Here are the ones I know of:

Mary
    Mary Ellen
    Baby Mary (for many, many years)
    Mary Ann
    Ann Marie
    Anna
    Ann

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

I do kind of prefer traditional names with traditional spellings. My kids are Nicholas Allen (after 2 grandpas) and Christina Elizabeth (we loved both names).

My aunt named her 6 kids with names that couldn't be shortened because she didn't want other people choosing nicknames for them. Unusual, but it worked.

I really hate when people add unnecessary flourishes like apostrophes, y, or any other letters (just to be cool? huh?).

41. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

If my sister had been a boy, she would have been Nicholas Allen!