baby formula

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by love2teach, Feb 13, 2010.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010

ok moms....is it okay to give infants cold formula? she seems to like it...why waste time heating it up, right?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 13, 2010

IF she likes it..she likes it. In fact..when I worked at babies r us if you give them to it warm it's all they'll expect. Now if you were breast feeding and using formula that might cause a problem. It's kind of like the wipes warmer mess...besides the fact it dries out the wipes your child will come to expect them to be warm! ooh baby propaganda! lol

I'm not a mom, but remember moms yelling at me b/c I couldn't heat up their bottle in our lounge microwave b/c of legal issues.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 13, 2010

Of course it depends on the baby. My DD was hyper-colicky, so cold formula would cramp up her little tummy. It was fine at room temp, if I just ran it under hot water for a couple of minutes. But she couldn't handle it cold. If yours is ok, then it is ok!

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

To each their own, my son was fine with cold, room temperature, or warm bottles. He rarely ever got a truly cold bottle but we often made room temp bottles when we were out and about. But at day care they warmed them up.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010

We usually made room temp. bottles. I say go with whatever she likes. It won't hurt her.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

I always thought babies would be similar to me.
    When it's cold outside, I prefer a warm drink,
    When it's hot, a cold one.
    Most of the time my sons preferred room temperature for even pumped breastmilk.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 13, 2010

I suspect the "traditional" warm bottle came from the attempt to keep it as close to breast milk as possible.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for the replies everyone!

We are using the liquid formula (what dr. gave us....so expensive, well more expensive than powder) and the little cans are used over 2 feedings. The first half the can is room temp, but once opened I have to put it in the fridge or else it goes bad. So I wasnt sure if it was okay to serve it right out the fridge or if I should warm it up!

Also, another feeding question.....

She will not burp!!! How can I get her to do it? How long should I try for?

Sometimes, if I stop her halfway through a feeding, she screams unti I give her the bottle back....ugggg!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

I always had to put ours, I know this will sound funny, with the belly just below the ribs like on my shoulder & push in circles or sometimes I would rub from the small of the back up. I think you should try until the "bubble" passes. I know when lil they take a long time sometimes.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

Maybe warm milk will help her burp. I have worked with a lot of babies, and they all are different. Here are some things I would try.

1. Burp her before you feed her. At least, try.
    2. Try different positions for burping.
    Shoulder
    Across your lap
    on the floor
    3. Make sure the bottle nipple is not feeding her too fast or too slow.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2010

We are getting the burpilng thing down! She has/needs to burp but gets so mad when you take the bottle away mid feed!!

I am also starting to think that mabye I should switch bottles. I know some claim to reduce gas. Has anyone had experince with great bottles that help with gas? I know Dr. Browns is supposed to but I hate all of the parts that come with it.....it seems like so much work!
    Right now I am using evenflo...they claim to reduce gas, but she is very gassy!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2010

When we had to use bottles we used those Playtex drop in bottles. My mom used those when I was a baby (not the same ones...LOL!!!) I don't really remember being more gassy with those. I liked them because they were pretty easy to use.