Baby Blues

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 14, 2009

One of my girlfriends had a new baby about three months ago and now, everytime we talk online (she lives in another state) we don't actually talk anymore, rather she emails me like 20 new pictures of her and the new baby.

I get that she's excited over her new bundle of joy, but literally everytime we talk it's like:

Friend: HI LYN! How are you? I took some new pictures of the baby. Hang on let me send them.
    :emails the pictures:

Lyn: WOW! Look he's eating peas again! Oh and now he's sitting on Daddy's lap! Look how big he is.

Friend: I know! Let me send you some more. OH! And my neighbor just had a baby too. Let me send you pictures of my baby and her baby together in the playpen.
    :sends another 5 - 10 pictures:

Lyn: Oh okay. Aw, they're so cute, like little dolls.

Friend: Well, I got to go. Talk to you later!

Lynn: Ok, ttyl.

I feel bad and like I'm being mean because she's really a nice person. When we lived in the same state, we used to talk about all kinds of stuff and hang out and have fun together. Right before I moved, she was about 9.5 months pregnant. I just get tired of baby stuff all the time. :( Is this one of those things you have to just grin and bare?

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

not yet- most of my friends are in the wedding phase - every conversation is about weddings!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 14, 2009

Yes, just grin and bear it, that's what friends do. It's one of the happiest times of her life and as an educator we know how our schools would be revolutionized if all parents would take more interest in their kids.

5. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

It's the center of her life right now...she'll eventually come back around, but you'll have to be patient while she is in the "infatuation" love with her new baby...it's perfectly normal. I'd be worried if she didn't talk about the baby!!! ;)

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2009

Yeah, I say it's pretty normal. Children change everything, and her whole life revolves around that baby now.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 14, 2009

Everything changes when you have a child. :)

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Funny-I was thinking about this tonight! I had dinner with friends, and they were playing with their dog while we were talking. It was super cute, and I was enjoying it, comparing her to my bunny. But we talked and talked and talked about our pets, and I was getting kind of tired about it. And then I thought-is this what it's like when you have a kid? All conversations about them? When I work the birthday parties on the weekends, all the parents are talking about their kids. And they really are so cute. I'd talk about them, too. But it's hard to remember to talk about yourself, or even think there is anything worth saying about yourself, when you have something so cute (like a bunny) in your life to talk about.

9. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

Ugh. I know the feeling. Yes, she has every right and it's perfectly natural for her to be completely infatuated by her little one. But when you're not in that "mommy place," it can get soooo dull. I remember my best friend going through a stage like that. I remember thinking "Don't you care at ALL about my interests? Aren't you interested in ANY of the stuff we used to enjoy talking about?" But it passed. By the time her baby was 2 or so, she and I could discuss things like books, movies, politics and gossip again.

Of course, my husband says teachers are just as guilty of talking "all teacher, all the time." :blush:

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2009

Want to see pictures of my granddaughter?:lol:
    get over it

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2009

I completely agree!

[​IMG]
    My baby when I first got her. My brother is holding her. I cannot believe she was ever that small. She is just so cute. Yesterday she did the cutest thing......... :lol:

:D:D

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2009

Give her a little break! I realize that from your end, you don't want to hear anymore about every detail. I know I'd be tired of it too. I don't know if you've ever had kids, but whether you have or not, new parents are just so thrilled, so I'm not surprised by behavior like this of your friend's.

It reminds me of that I Love Lucy episode when Lucy & Ricky had little Ricky, but the Applebee's, their friends, also had a baby & Lucy & Rikcy really didn't want to hear anything more or see any pictures. Now they (L&R) promised to ea other that they wouldn't bore people w/ pics of their baby, but that didn't stop the Applebee's from talking & showing pics the moment they came over to visit.

I guess it's only natural. But, certain people realize that others aren't as interested...I guess your friend's not one of them. She's now entered another phase of life called being a new parent.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

If you give her time, your friend will grow out of it.

In the beginning, that new baby really DOES occupy your every waking moment. My middle daughter woke up every 3 hours for a feeding, her sister woke up every 2.5. (Figure it takes 20 minutes to half an hour to feed, burp, and change the baby, and you're talking night after night after night of 2 hour "naps" if you're lucky.) And new parents are so afraid of doing something wrong, that it's all they can see.

Think of how you felt the very first time you had to teach a class, then magnify it by a zillion. (because, after all, those kids went home at the end of the day. They didn't depend on you to keep them safe and well and protected. They could tell you what was wrong. Infants don't have those language skills.)

If there's a steep learning curve with teaching, it's much, much steeper with parenting. And you can read all the books and listen to all the lectures. But at 2 am with a crying baby, it's all up to you and what you can figure out.

It's impossible to explain to someone who hasn't been there yet, though I'm sure you're getting tired of listening to your friend try.

But be patient. At some point, the baby's world will broaden just a bit, and mommy will be able to see something out there besides her child.

She probably won't ever go back to caring about all the things you used to share-- becoming a mom really DOES change your focus in a lot of ways.

But she will go back to the funloving friend you used to have, the one who cares about what's important in your world.