B.S.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by love2help, Nov 2, 2010.

1. love2help

love2help Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

Okay, here is my rant. I was offered a position as a resource teacher in the Math Department in a High School. In the department there are 4 teachers. 2 of the teachers have 15+ years experience 1 teacher has 5 years experience and the teacher with 1 year is brand new to the school.

It's quite apparent to me that the 2 veteran teachers are HUGE a-holes and dump the naughtiest kids in the teacher's room who is brand new. This causes the brand new teacher to become extremely overwhelmed and stressed.

How is this B.S. happening? How can I protect myself if I am ever put into this type of position.

Thanks.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 2, 2010

My first question would be who creates the schedules for students? In my building, our guidance dept creates student schedules with a computer program and we have no influence at all. So are you sure the two veteran teachers have any influence over the schedule? I am a veteran in my dept and I have NO say in who my students are.

Scheduling in high school is like rocket science :) so I guess for me it would be hard to imagine two teachers being able to schedule for themselves.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

Are you saying there are 4 math teachers or 4 resource teachers? That makes a big difference...

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 2, 2010

It happens in my school ALL the time. Those members of the "Inner Circle" or clique get all of the good students. The rest of us get "America's Most Wanted."

Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do about this. Especially if your principal feels that these teachers are people he can lean on. If you complain to him/her, it'll only make the situation worse.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 2, 2010

That's really sad. In my school, the teachers group the students but we are VERY accommodating by putting (or not putting) certain students with certain teachers.

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

We don't have this with individual students, but with classes. The vets get a lot of the classes that attract the better kids (AP, honor, upper division classes) while the newer teachers end up with more remedial, bottom feeder classes that have a high percent of the trouble makers.

8. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

Ditto what INteacher said. We have 3000 kids in our building. The computer does all the scheduling, even though sometimes it seems like the new teachers get all the bad ones, it's not intentional. It's because the bad kids are usually in a lower group, which we call "general". New teachers rarely get CP, Honors or AP classes. It's my 5th year and I got "promoted" to inclusion this year. LOL

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

We have absolutely no say over who is placed in our classes.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2010

We don't have any say on who is enrolled in our classes.

It is all computerized.

Further, our schedule is so tight (many students only have 1 or 2 possible schedules that would work) that hand-picking students could never happen.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

I had a whole class last year pretty much demand that I teach them again this year.

I explained that we don't get to choose our classes. If we were, just think of their classmates who wouldn't have a teacher.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 2, 2010

How does this happen? What size is your school?

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 2, 2010

Grades 9-12, 1400.

14. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

How does this happen?????

Don't you have inclusion classes at your school? Just make sure that the classes that have a SPED assistant and 9 to 15 IEPs don't go to the most favored teachers then you have it.

Fortunately, my school goes to great effort to share the load when it comes to teaching such classes and not play favorites. We have other schools in our district that do exactly as the OP describes by handing them all of the inclusion classes.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

A fellow teacher of mine requested having the SPED students all placed in her class. She says she loves having such students and figured that if she had a quarter to half of her class as SPED then she would also have a para in the class with her. It would make it easier when the students that have read alouds all had the same test from the same teacher, etc. It didn't work out due to scheduling issues unfortunately. She seems like an awesome teacher all around - whether or not that idea would work she does seem to put a lot of thought in to making every.single.day the most it can be for her students.

16. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 3, 2010

We had a teacher like that up until last year (she moved to be closer to family.) She had a passion for the low performers and really enjoyed teaching them.

We didn't dump them on her and actually made sure not to give her everything she was asking for in fear of burning her out. This said, she carried a large share of the load when it came to teaching difficult classes.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 6, 2010

Scheduling is random, but in my school in the program we input how many sections of each course, each different teacher has (which we get from their Department Chair). So the level and course each teacher gets is not left up to the administration. In my department, only a few of us teach Honors and AP simply because we are much better suited for it, then others who are better with the lower-levels.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

I don't see how that could happen unless you were in a small school. It is sad to think that the teacherswould do this intentionally to a new teacher.

My coworker loves teaching the special education students. Most are willing to work harder than the Pre-AP kiddos. Not to mention she's great with the kids! That's one reason why I went ahead and got my special education certification.