b and d discrim

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by treysmom, Oct 17, 2008.

1. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I remember seeing an idea to help the children tell the difference between b and d. There was a bed, with the word bed and the b and d were the bedposts. I can't find my copy-does anyone know where I can find it?

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I don't have a copy, but I actually was going to look for this type activity for a case study I'm doing in my credential classes. Can't wait to see the activities people have...

4. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

I don't have a sheet but I have my kids make a "bed" with their hands by making two fists giving thumbs up and push them together and show them how one hand looks like a b (left hand) and one looks like a d (right hand). It seems to help, I seem them do it and check themselves when writing.

5. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

6. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I have the students also do something with their hands...they put their thumbs together and the rest of their fingers are up and a "bed" is made. The B is on the left and d on the right. This has worked with past students. They get a good visual and use it while writing.

7. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Oct 18, 2008

I also do the "bed" trick with the hands. Last year, I also hung up letters to spell out bed so the kids who had trouble with the hand trick could look at the letters to help them.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2008

9. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

bat the ball

if you do the Jolly Phonics song 'bat the ball', then you can say that the bat comes first for b....the song says bat bat bat bat bat the ball....so they can recognize a b because there is a bat first