AYP

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ahsila, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 25, 2009

This year our (6-8) school is really promoting assessment awareness with the theme "AYP: Achieving Your Potential"

We have a few motivational activities planned, but not many. Most of the ideas we have are more suited for elementary school. Are any of you doing any kind of student motivation? If so, what are your ideas?

So far what we have planned is (if we make AYP as a school):
    Every student gets a fun day at the end of the year - the VP will get in a dunk tank for part of the day and any student who wants to try to dunk him will get a chance.
    A small (but feisty) group of teachers will come to school on the fun day with our hair dyed school colors... yes, I'm one of the teachers.
    A group of teachers will ATTEMPT to choreograph and perform a dance routine to some current song (we have discussed trying to do the Beyonce/Single Ladies dance, but probably won't happen with that routine)... again, I'm one of the teachers suckered into it.
    On the game day, we will have various game systems set up and kids can challenge teachers to a round of a chosen game (guitar hero, Wii Sports, etc)
    Almost every teacher in the building has agreed to some form of public humiliation in order to motivate our kids. We are really trying to inject some fun into this whole process since it is a very frustrating situation for kids (and teachers). Do you all have any more ideas that seem to be strong motivators?

3. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

Our middle school had good success with a quarterly "Hullaballoo". Basically, at the end of the quarter, if a student had a B average and no detentions, he could attend the Hullaballoo on a Friday afternoon. It usually consisted of a movie with popcorn while the other kids who didn't qualify had a study hall. The teachers rotated duty. It was painless and worked well for us! I would encourage you to think of things like this that are spaced out through the year; it's hard for kids to be so patient as to wait all year for a reward.

4. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 26, 2009

We do have our midterm and quarterly rewards... we are just frantically searching for ideas that can motivate for our year end assessments. So far the most motivating idea one of the kids came up with was for me to eat a worm - and I would really LOVE finding an idea that might be more appealing for them.

5. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

We are stumped too...

At our school, we don't usually find out the AYP until August. By then, part of the school has promoted on to high school and part of the school was not there for the last school year. Is this not a factor for your school?

Our department last year tried to use motivation during quarterly exams and they worked very well. We were also stumped on how to motivate them during our state tests (especially for the reason stated above). The only thing our school does right now is daily raffles to help pump up the kids.

On the side of awareness: our school prints out the previous year's data and the entire school takes about 30 minutes to look at the data. We look at what did they score, how close are they to the next level, etc. They take a survey to look at what kind of habits they have at school and make a goal. We look at the data/survey a couple of times a year to review and renew information. This "awareness" has helped their score seem more than a number to them.

6. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 27, 2009

We have computerized tests, so our preliminary scores are available within minutes of finishing the last test. The upside is that we are able to work with the information immediately. The down side is that some kids do freak out working on the computer.

7. csim0107

csim0107 New Member

Aug 30, 2009

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I just got hired by a school that is following the PBIS theory. So far, all that I have learned seems like it has some real potential. One aspect that our school is doing is all teachers are given a certain amount of positive reward tickets to be given out as they see fit. These can then be spent at the school store. Anyhow, searching PBIS in google may help you understand more of the program, and give you some ideas for your school.

8. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Sep 4, 2009

We are dong PBIS as well