"Aww CRAP!"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 14, 2014

I have had a couple of male students say this when they miss a math problem or drop something on the floor. I think it's just bad habit but I don't really know it this statement is a terribly bad thing to say. They aren't cursing but also aren't saying stuff like, "aww man!!!" I have continued to ignore it. Do any students do this in your classroom?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

*I* say it in my classroom. And I'm really strict on cursing in the room. "crap" isn't any worse than "poop" in my book. But "$hit" is bad. Go figure.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 14, 2014

i dont recall, but i would probably just ask them to use more appropriate language--i do agree that is it not cursing. maybe tie it into when they are in the professional field?

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 14, 2014

I say crap sometimes too. Doesn't bother me in the least if they do it colloquially. If it shows up in their writing, that's a different story :)

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2014

I would praise Jesus if "crap" was the worst word that came out of my students' mouths. This is no big deal in my opinion.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

I am not a fan of phrases like that, although I agree it isn't cussing necessarily, I always wonder what the intent behind it is.

I feel the same about the phrase "What the...?" Nothing necessary after "the". What MIGHT have come there? I really dislike hearing young children use that one. Is an f-bomb next?

In my room, I had taboo phrases, and both of those were on it. Just things I didn't like to hear.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 14, 2014

I would make sure that they're not saying it to be disruptive first. (i.e. intentionally dropping things on the floor to yell it out loud)

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2014

I teach kinder, if I heard this we would be discussing words you don't say at school. I also don't like the "What the......! " For older kids in MS and HS something totally different.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 14, 2014

I teach middle school, and that is something that I occasionally say. To be honest, that wouldn't elicit any response from me if I heard it from a student.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 14, 2014

Right?!? :p

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 14, 2014

I say crap myself. As long as it isn't a cuss word, I don't bat an eye.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 14, 2014

"Crudbunnies" is my mild oath of choice, including in here. I have no idea where I got it.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 15, 2014

5th grade and up, I can live with the word "crap", and I would let it go.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2014

I sometimes wonder why teachers think the professional world is some kind of curse-free environment.

Professionals don't curse extremely frequently, but it's hardly uncommon either. The only professions which might not curse are...hmmm... teaching and clergy? :D

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 17, 2014

I don't believe teachers think that the professional world is a curse-free environment, but there are times in the professional world that cursing would be deemed unprofessional. Unless you know the culture of the community in which you work, it would most likely be unprofessional to curse in front of your manager while in a meeting (which is comparable to classroom time). Some places it might be ok, but isn't it better to teach students to err on the side of caution rather than having to break the habit of cursing and losing respect of the superiors.

I don't believe the only professions which might not curse are teaching and clergy (have heard both curse). I do think that knowing when it may possibly be acceptable is important. Most professions I know of don't curse in many professional situations such as with clients, or in a meeting with a manager (unless the culture of the workplace has already dictated its appropriateness). Sometimes even if the manager was to curse in a meeting it doesn't mean the attendees of the meeting have the same allowance.

I just think that the proper way to act in a professional environment is to not curse. That is what should be taught.

17. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 17, 2014

In my opinion, all professional fields should aim to be a curse free environment, that is what makes it professional field. Am I saying accidents don't happen, no. However, my job is to make sure my students are prepared to be successful and to me, part of that is learning how to code switch and learn what language is appropriate in what settings, especially in the professional world.

Just to clarify , I do not think crap is a curse

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2014

:lol: Agreed.