Awkwardness...missing work for interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by willow129, Jun 18, 2014.

1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I keep having to miss work for interviews. It is SOOOOO ... awkward.

But the thing is, I already missed out on an interview because I was trying to reschedule for a better time so I wouldn't miss rehearsals with my kids before our concert. So I don't want to do that again...

I called out from school on Monday because I had 2 interviews that day. Called out again today because I have 1 interview...and it seems so silly to miss a whole day because it's just one half hour long interview if that...probably a panel interview...it will take me a half hour to drive there and half hour to drive back. But the darn times that were available were all smack in the middle of the day.

I managed to pull leaving for a half day two weeks ago but it took major pleading with my principal to get coverage for my classes, so it seems it's just easier to call in sick instead of dealing with that stress.

And I hate the lie of "calling in sick" when I'm not sick at all. My supervisor actually called me today and was like ... you're out? are you ok? (I emailed my VP and Principal but forgot to email him) so I made up something (since I clearly was not sick) about a dentist appointment in the middle of the day. (I do have to have some dental work done that is urgent but I keep having to reschedule because of interviews and concerts!!!!)

Anyways...I just wish there was some other way to navigate all this. I just keep telling myself it's almost the end of the year just grit my teeth and do what I have to do...

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

It does suck. The last two hiring seasons were really rough- I was nearly 12 hours away. Going to an interview cost me hundreds of dollars and I'd have to take at least three days off!

This year hiring has been slow, which has worked out for me so far. I only had to call in sick once (and now I'm only an hour or two away from where I am searching). And I was legitimately sick with food poisoning that whole week, so it wasn't suspicious at all!

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I managed to make it to the end of the school year before getting called for any interviews. I was worried because I didn't have any sick days left (hooray for getting strep 4 times, passing out in front of my kinders and being sent home, and the flu!)

I'm sure it will work out :)

5. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I used a personal day this year without giving an explanation. I was fortunate that the two follow up interviews were when my school was on a break.

I'm not proud of it but in the past I have told a couple of white lies and used sick days for such things.

6. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

oh my god I just got an email from my boss about abusing sick days...

what the heck am I supposed to do...!!!! I don't know what to do...maybe I should have emailed this school district to try to get a time after school...the last time I tried it didn't happen, they just didn't interview me...

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

When is your last day of school?

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

Does your school know you're looking? I wouldn't want to irritate them if you're looking for a good reference :( can you just be honest about what's going on with the other school? Maybe they could do a phone or skype interview?

When's your last day?

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2014

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that! How many more days do you need off for interviews?

You could maybe write back that there's been a lot of things coming up recently and you'll be back on track this week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

Schedule your dentist appointment on the same day as your next interview.

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

So Caesar...funny you should say that

So yes, to answer some other things, I told my VP, principal, and music department head that I'm looking. The music department head is ... reacts strongly to things. He was not happy I'm looking, I know he doesn't want me to leave and I think ultimately he takes it personally though he took it well at the time. Since then he keeps asking me about what my plans are, do I have interviews, where am I interviewing, when am I going to make a decision about going or staying. I literally wish I could avoid seeing him at times because it's so stressful...I did not ask him to write me a letter, though I'm sure he would write me a good one, I just couldn't do it... and as such usually I don't list him as a reference (I've got my principal and vice principal) because most places want letters.

The email about abuse of personal days was actually to the whole department. (And, I can't take personal days for interviews now because we aren't allowed personal days in June..!!) So I don't know what to do but the dentist thing is funny because what he said in the email was "the use of sick days is not for scheduling appointments, job interviews, or anything that is not related to illness." He said that some school districts think it is a right to be able to use sick days for other things but that is unprofessional and basically not how it's done here, he quoted our contract and which says that teachers can be investigated and if guilty of abuse have to pay the district back the money they got for their day.

So...ok, regardless of the job interview, there are actually times when appointments need to be scheduled during the day. Teaching happens during business hours. I feel like that is just asking for people to lie about things...what are you supposed to do exactly if you can't schedule an appointment at any time but school hours?

I mean, that's really beside the point and I have been able to schedule things outside of school hours - (which I then have had to reschedule because my department head has expected me to come to concerts after school. I'm on my like 5th try with my dentist right now to finish getting a crown >.<)

Since it was an email addressed to the whole department, should I reply or just let it go? I feel like part of this is he thinks I called out for a job interview and he's mad about it...

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

I've always told my employers when I'm looking. I know people on here say not to do that, but in my area it's impossible because you must have a reference from your current principal to even apply to other schools. Some schools will call references before interviews so they can make a final decision right away. I've always thought it was best for them to hear it from me than to get a surprise reference call, and I have to explain all the days out anyway. Last year I ended the year with literally 17 minutes of leave time (was given 10 days, and besides one day the rest was used up in interviews). There's no way I could have pretended to be sick all of those days, plus a lot of my days were half days.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

Sorry, we must have been posting at the same time. I just saw you already told them you were looking. Honestly, I think taking the interviews is most important. Your last day of school has to be coming up, right? The next time a school calls, I might ask them if there is a way you can come before/after school, but tell them that you are willing to come in the middle of the day if there is no other time available. Then if you have to, take leave without pay at your current school.

14. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I have told them I'm looking...but I'm tired of being interrogated by my department head about every interview. It's stressful enough as it is....(my principal and vp do not bother me about it, they wrote me nice letters and leave me alone otherwise)

There was an interview I was offered a couple weeks ago, and since I didn't want to miss school I asked if we could do a phone interview, and they were like thanks but no thanks, and I didn't get to do an interview with them. So I guess I got scared by that

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

Don't reply to that email.

Does your contract say that you can't use sick time for appointments?

Try to schedule interviews in the afternoon I guess. I'm sorry this is so messy. :(

16. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Thanks waterfall that's really good advice. I hadn't thought of the leave without pay...oh well too late now I guess.

Our last day is next Wednesday. I have another interview on Tuesday but thank goodness it's a half day!!! So I can still go to school and then run to the interview after.

17. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Caesar: Actually I'm not sure if it says you can't use sick time for appointments...that's conveniently not the part of the contract quoted in the email! Just the part about investigation...

I will not reply to the email! Thanks for the sympathy!!

The thing that kills me is...there were a couple things that happened this year that I did that were really, mistakes, I swear. And some miscommunication. And my music dept head came down on me so hard about them...
    but this just makes me feel even more like I'm a bad employee :'( :'( it kills me. I do work hard and I care...I don't want to be a pain to have around the workplace...

(On another note, I think the interview today went pretty well...)

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

We are not supposed to use our days for anything that can be done outside of school hours. That would include scheduling appointments if they can prove you can do it another time. Our district isn't bad about it though. They would only investigate if they felt you truly were abusing the policy.

We do have a few people every year who take multiple days without pay for various things. Those are approved by the board.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

My contract says something about making appointments outside of school hours "whenever possible", which is vague enough as to be completely unenforceable, I think. I've never seen it enforced, I don't think.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

People knock right to work schools all the time, but I could take a sick day at my school in NC for pretty much anything. It was up to the principal. (Districts are so large that the administration office typically has no idea who you are.) Some Ps would not let that happen, but my P was great about it.
    I missed SOOOOO much time during my last year. I went to the beach with my family for three days, I missed a whole week for a training, I missed another whole week for my birthday (Spring Break was originally scheduled for that week and it was my 30th. My mom planned something and since I was 750 miles away, I took the week off.), plus a bunch of days for interviews. I will defend myself by saying that I never missed more than a couple of days until that year. I quit with over 40 sick days left- accumulated in just 6 years! I also was less apprehensive about using them since I knew I planned on quitting. Another teacher turned her resignation in a month early and my P actually encouraged her to use up her sick days! (I love my former P!)

21. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 18, 2014

Yes, it sucks having to take off of work. I have a full-time job with benefits so I've been calling off a lot lately because this is the first year I've been calls for interviews. I feel bad calling off but I would just about do anything for a teaching job hence why I'm quitting at the end of summer if I don't get a full time teaching job so I can sub and start getting my names in districts. Keep hope alive! Good luck!

22. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I just really hope my boss doesn't ask me to come speak to him when I go to help the high school band tomorrow. >.< That's been like a weekly thing almost. Go talk to him after school so he can ask me again why I want to leave and ask me about the job hunt.
    Uuugh.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I think you need to get tough with your boss. You don't have to be afraid to go to work. Say something like:

"Thank you for your concern. I'll keep you updated on any changes. What are we playing in band today?"

24. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

I also say don't respond to the email. Try to schedule any upcoming interviews for before or after school. I would also squash any other questions from the DH. If he asks, just let him know that you will notify him when you have a decision made.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you deciding to leave the district you are in? (If you rather not share, that is ok!)

25. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

Yes...I'm really kicking myself for not at least asking the one I had yesterday if I could do it after school. It just seemed like it was going to be a panel interview type thing and I didn't want to lose out again!!

But in fact, it turned out it wasn't a panel, they probably would have been flexible, I mean the head of the department was like 10 minutes late because she was teaching a class and then driving over and there was construction and stuff...

anyways there are so many reasons I want to leave. COMPLAINT ALERT!! Hahaha - I never intended to end up in the city. I really want to live in the country. Ultimately, while I feel I've been doing good things in my school's community, I don't feel that I fit in. People are very "every man for himself" in my building and that's just not my personality. I think it's going to continue to be more and more this way because the principal is retiring and the vp is extremely inexperienced and doesn't understand the value of community IMO. It genuinely has caused some depression on my part to feel so isolated and I actually see a therapist now >.<

There's also my boyfriend's work situation which is that he was laid off right before I got this job. There's no other work for him here unless he starts his own business, but he doesn't want to live here and I can understand not wanting to put the energy in in a place that you don't actually want to live!

I also travel every single day to another school. I was hired by one school to teach K-8 music (450 kids) which I feel is a full time job. But then they surprised me after I accepted by telling me I was going to be traveling, and they said "for 1 class." so I was like oh ok, that's like one day a week. No. 1 GRADE, 1 class everDAY. It's been that way for the past 2 years and isn't changing next year. It's very tiring to travel every day. I'm also responsible for things after school and it's too much!

26. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

Your situation sounds just like mine except I want to get back to the city! The people at my rural school have been so unwelcoming. But maybe that's because no one has kept my job for more than 2 or 3 years because I teach 9 sections a day, 2 at one school and 7 at the other.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 19, 2014

I could take a sick day whenever I want and it's only "abuse" if you take 3 or more in a row without a doctor's note. I have used them for interviews (at my old school) but it was never more than one every 2 weeks or so. Unless they are having trouble getting subs I don't see why they hare having issues with people taking sick days if they have the days banked.

28. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

teachart that's so STUPID. I don't get why it's ok to treat people this way. And they don't understand that that's the reason people don't want to stay, because they're treated so badly. You can't have students who are successful when you don't care about your teachers. I'm so sorry :( I really really hope you find a new job that values you!!

29. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jun 19, 2014

I have been taking time off since I was informed that I was not being renewed. I took one "mental health" day and the rest have been for interviews. However, my P has started becoming passive aggressive and nasty about me taking time off. I have PLENTY of sick time left because I was out maybe one day the entire school year before I was non-renewed.

It's just ridiculous to be faulted for taking time off when he is the reason for it!