Awkward situation -- would you address it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cicero, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 23, 2013

Update: This situation was resolved and just a big misunderstanding on my part.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

TOTALLY not ok.

I had to use another teacher's computer the other day and her e-mail was up. I shrunk the window as fast as I could. I didn't WANT to see it!

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

Do you think she needed to get anything from your room? At least that would explain why she was in there. Very, very strange...

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

I wouldn't like this one bit.

I would say something for sure.

Maybe, "hey, messing with someone's email account could get you in big trouble around here." If she says it was a joke I would have a hard time not adding, "well, I didn't think it was funny."

If I didn't know the person well, I'd probably even tell my admin.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 23, 2013

I don't know! There wasn't anything gone. She's been teaching for much longer than me and has a fully stocked, moved in classroom so I can't imagine that I would have something she wouldn't. I haven't run into her since this...

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

That would be a violation of our computer usage policy. We can get in big trouble for that...and also for leaving our email program open and accessible.

Why wasn't your room locked? Maybe that would solve the problem.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2013

I would take that as a solid reminder to hibernate my computer and password lock it whenever I walk away from my desk. The teacher's actions were inappropriate, but it could have been a student just as easily, and who knows what more mischievous minds would have done.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

That is weird... I agree with KU... the only time I helped is when other teacher was in room or knew I was going to help....

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

That is not ok! I couldn't imagine doing that to any of my coworkers! I agree that in order to protect yourself to never leave your email open and/or to passlock your computer anytime that you are away from it. I'm sorry that it has come to this and that you can't trust this coworker.

11. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Aug 23, 2013

Send an email to her, "I love coworker! She's the best! Don't ever use someone else's email!"

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 23, 2013

I agree. While it is weird, and probably not okay, I'm certain the other teacher didn't do it with bad intentions in mind. I wouldn't address it unless it came up (i.e. if she jokes with you about it). I think giving the teacher a snarky reply or getting overly offended over it is poor advice.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

^^^
    Agreed, since it's so early on, I wouldn't want to ruin my relationship with a coworker because addressing it seriously would probably hurt her feelings.

When we have students, I always lock my door when I leave for a long time. However, when it's just teachers in the building, I don't usually lock my door or close my email. Maybe I should!

This reminds me of when I was younger, and if someone left their facebook account open in their computer, people would post crazy things on their wall. It is annoying and strange, but it doesn't seem like it was done out of bad intention. I would just shut down your email and lock your door from now on...maybe if she wants to try to do it again, she would see the locked door and get the message without it being hurtful/?

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 23, 2013

I actually find it rather funny. Apparently, her message hit home. Never let the computer unlocked when unattended because you never know who might walk in and use it for good or bad.

It reminds me of someone who had a habit of keeping the computer unlocked. A coworker installed an audio file that would play every time a certain key was pressed. It was hilarious. Even the person that had the prank pulled on her thought it was funny because obviously, rule number 2 for computer use was disregarded. Rule number 1 is back up files and save frequently.

15. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 23, 2013

I decided not to say anything to her about, because she didn't mean anything negative by it. Just an overreaction on my part.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 23, 2013

Total violation of your personal items. Not ok. I don't know what I would do, other than be really careful not to leave my electronics accessible around coworkers.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

I know you've decided to not address it, but I have to chime in to disagree that you "should have known better". It's a teacher workday. I don't think you need, should feel the need, or should be expected to lock your classroom and protect your computer to run to the office. Obviously others disagree, but I feel the teacher was wrong and don't like focusing on what you didn't do instead of her inappropriate (after knowing her four days!) action.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 23, 2013

I don't think it's ok. I can't imagine any of my coworker doing that, and I would never even think about doing it.
    - she shouldn't go into your room if you're not there, unless it cannot be avoided.
    - even if it's customary to go into someone else's classroom, she should not have even looked at your computer
    - she sholdn't not have actually looked at your email account
    - how dare she actually write something, impersonating you, even if it's to yourself? what happens next time, she's write something stupid funny to your principal?

I would say something. How I would go about it depends on your personality, your comfort level and her personality, but I would let her know it's not ok, s she won't do it again.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2013

Perhaps your P could go over "acceptable computer use policies" during the next faculty meeting? I, too, find that totally unacceptable!

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 23, 2013

Eh--
    I probably wouldn't say anything. Just keep your door locked from now on.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

Control, alt, delete, lock computer. It's my best friend. I even use it anytime I leave my room.

22. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Aug 23, 2013

Are you positive that it was really the new coworker and not another colleague who inserted that new coworkers name as a joke?

23. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

So how does one unlock the computer? Same?

I think that this is weird. If a teacher is not in the room, then leave it.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

You must enter your password to unlock it.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Control, alt, delete, enter password. Everything will still be up too. It doesn't log you off.

26. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

Had the door and/or computer been locked and/or inaccessible the new teacher would not have entered your room and/or accessed your computer.

I guess it's better a co-worker did that and not a mischievous student later on in the year who would have sent inappropriate emails to parents of your class.

That would have REALLY been awkward.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

That seems very odd that she would do that. I think you are definitely in the right to be annoyed by this and say something if you feel the need to.

28. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 24, 2013

I would make a note of it and not say anything. Take the "advice," but keep an eye on this person. I'd probably jokingly say, "Thanks for the advice the other day," and make a joke of it. If she's a normal person at all, she'll then explain what she was doing in there.