Awkward seating plan situation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applesnap, Oct 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM.

1. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM

Hi all! I have a grade 12 class in person. We are required to keep seating plans due to covid.

Today a student told me he couldn’t see the board from the back of the room, so I moved him to the front. This prompted another girl, let’s call her Dawn, who has sat alone all semester, to ask to move to sit beside her friend Natalie. I said okay.

Dawn is over her head with this class. Her marks are consistently around 30%. After class, Natalie stayed behind and said she doesn’t want to sit with Dawn, because Dawn will ask her questions for the whole class and Natalie will get nothing done. Natalie gets 60s but has to work really hard for it; she uses class time to practice and ask me for help. If Dawn sits beside her, she’ll get nothing done, so I see her point.

But what do I do now? I can’t really tell Dawn that Natalie made this request... and I don’t really want to move the rest of my students around because they have all made really good seating choices.

Any ideas? I was thinking of moving Natalie to a different seat under the guise of helping her see the board better and leaving Dawn where she is. But that may be really transparent. Also, it would be good for Dawn to have someone to work with and this would leave Dawn sitting alone. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:29 AM

Shouldn't there be distance between all of your students? Just move them where they need to be without an explanation. You're the teacher, and you can make moves for no reason at all. That's a perk of the job.

MrTempest and nstructor like this.
  4. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:17 PM

We have about 40 kids in a class so there is no room to distance them. Every table has 2 students. Anyway, I ended up just making a new seating plan so that one kid wasn’t singled out.

5. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:43 AM

Move Dawn closer to you so you "better assist her" with her studies.