awkward inteviews, anyone??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by beatlebug731, Jan 11, 2010.

1. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

Last week, I had an interview for a job and I don't think it went very well. It was my second interview for the job, and it was with six other people. I usually try to get a conversation started, but it was more of me being interogated. One person did a majority of the talking. But, each asked one question, and hardly anybody asked follow up questions. It seemed like they didn't want to be there. Has anyone had a situation like this before? Any advice on how to handle it next time?

3. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 11, 2010

Hello!

Where in PA are you from? I only ask because I had a very similar interview recently, just curious if it might be with the same district. I also felt as though those interviewing me did not want to be there. In fact, I looked up at one point and one person was actually texting! Pretty unprofessional, in my opinion.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2010

I've had awkward interviews in the past. I usually look at it as a sign that the situation isn't the right one for me. After all, you're going to have to work with these people if you get hired, so if its uncomfortable in the interview, it will probably be uncomfortable when you start working.

The one exception to that was when I interviewed for a promotion at my old job at the college. I had to interview with my boss whom I've known for years. It was a little awkward answering questions that I knew she already knew the answers to. :)

5. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

I have had interviews like that. I was in an interview with about three women. One of them was questioning me and not even looking at me, the second was staring intently at me as though she was trying to read my thoughts, and the third was talking to people that passed by the open door, not even paying attention to me or the other women. I didn't get that job, nor did I want it after that interview.

The other awkward interviews I had, I acted like there was no awkwardness and acknowledged everyone.
    ---------------------------
    “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 11, 2010

Awkward interviews; been there, done that. Really, I just don't get how THOSE people get their jobs!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

Wait... what job interviews aren't awkward? :D

8. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 15, 2010

If it makes anyone feel better, I was on an interview once where the interview was very enthusiastic and seemed into me, I seriously thought he was going to ask me on a date because of his body language. He really seemed to just eat up every answer I gave. He was all I'll call you on Monday, whether you get the job or not. I never got a call. This was a few months ago for a after school position. So, attitude doesn't really indicate anything.

9. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jan 17, 2010

I figure that those positions have probably already been filled internally.

10. Kolin21

Kolin21 Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

There are really a lot of awkward interviews like that lol. Just remain calm and polite in answering their questions. If you don't get the job that means they don't deserve your good company. Try to consider asking an interview expert so you will know how to handle this kind of situation the next time around. Visit/Google Interview Mastermind and learn tips in winning interviews and gaining an edge among other applicants. Good luck!

11. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jan 20, 2010

I have to tell you this---I was in an interview once with the EC Chair and the Principal in my district. The Principal kept running in and out of the room to take care of things. The EC chair and I would talk about random stuff that had nothing to do with the job while the Principal was gone to “put out a fire”. We honestly never ever discussed anything about my skills, personality, experience, the job etc…I left the interview knowing that I had not answered one question. They called the very next day to offer me the job. I think that they just wanted a man in this EC position lol.

12. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I think the most awkward, or weird, interview I ever had was with a principal who spent some time wiping her nose and then asked me one question. Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good teacher here. That was it.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

I interviewed last year. I had already had a screening interview with the AP and she definitely liked what I said, constantly smiling and nodding her head. So I went to the follow up interview with her and the principal. The AP continued to like everything I said, but the principal was VERY straight faced. I left thinking I probably didn't get it because of the P behavior. She called the next day to offer me the job. I went to observe a couple weeks later and when I arrived, the P walked out and immediately gave me a big hug and told me how excited she was to have me join the team. She has been very nice and encouraging ever since.

Looking back my only explanation is that her "straight-facedness" was a test of how confident I felt in myself and my answers. I don't know, but it did teach me not to go based on the way "they" behave.

14. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

I once went on a strange interview. Large school district in NJ - two high schools! Two math co-chairs did the interview and they interviewed four candidates at a time, so there were six people in the room. They would ask a question, let one person answer, then the next person, and so on.

I didn't get the job.

15. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

Been There

I hear you. I think I got my first job (also in Middle School Special Ed.) because they anticipated a really difficult class and wanted a man to be in there when things got ugly (which they did, for a while).

The interview itself went well, but I think I was the only candidate on their radar screen and so it was mine to lose.