Awful interview this morning

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 27, 2015

I just got back from my Instructional Aide (Spec. Ed) interview. They brought me into interview and told me it was for the High School (I was not aware of this beforehand and I have no experience at that level). No where on my online profile does it say HS...not sure why they called me in.

3 out of the 4 guys on the interview panel were just staring in space the whole time. They did not look interested in what I had to say. We were seated at a huge table. I was like 20 feet away from the panel...it was so odd.

I answered everything the best that I could even though I had no HS experience. They worded things so oddly, I ended up getting really nervous and I don't even remembered how I answered them.

I'm taking deep breaths to keep myself from crying. I don't want to give up but 5 years is a long time to wait for anything...teacher or an aide position. I'm feeling so hopeless right now.

3. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 27, 2015

I could be wrong, but I believe I read a post of yours awhile back and you stated that you had a potential long-term assignment lined up for this school year. Did that fall through? Or am I losing my mind lol. If you still have the long-term as an option, I would definitely take that assuming your only alternative is day-to-day subbing.

I understand that you probably want to network in more than one place, but the impression I made in my long-term assignment was easily the biggest factor that contributed to me getting a contract. You can't beat the experience, connections you make with other teachers, and you'd be surprised how many other administrators a P at any given school might know (even outside of their own district). I was just like you back in January, and if I had turned down the long-term assignment I was offered (which I almost did) so I could sub day-to-day in a variety of districts, I am confident I'd still be looking for a job. The only way you get hired in a tough market is by having a connection OR by making connections, which is what I had to do. Just my two cents and personal experience.

I wish you the best. I know how tough job searching can be. Keep your head up!

4. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 27, 2015

Don't give up!

I've been trying to land a job (para or teaching) in a public school off and on for the past 25 years and I'm not giving up, so don't you give up!

The area that I live in is very competitive as far as getting a job so I ended up taking preschool jobs for about 10 years. This year I made the decision to leave my comfort zone and try to at least get an aide job. My experience with preschool is helping me get noticed for para jobs. I may never be able to get a teaching job but at least I will get a para job and fulfill my dream of getting into the public schools before I get too old to be working around kids.

A couple of years ago I had an interview just like the one you had today. I had applied for an aide job (several, actually) at the elementary level and was called in to an interview. I was interviewed by two men who sat at this big conference table reading from a questionnaire and taking notes on what I said which was intimidating enough as it was but then I was flabbergasted when they started asking me about aiding in a high school. At that point I was open to any opportunity that came my way so I tried to respond to their questions as best as I could with older students in mind but I also came away from the interview knowing I had bombed it. I didn't let it upset me though because I know it wouldn't have been a good fit for me.

So keep your chin up. Our paths don't always go the way we have planned for them to go sometimes but in the end it will all work out if you don't give up.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 27, 2015

Im sorry that happened to you. You don't want to work there if you don't feel comfortable there anyways. That is weird they called you in for the wrong position. Today I had an email from a charter saying their two elementary positions they have open and want to interview me, but I'm not sure why they emailed me because I'm not certified to teach that... Just use that bad experience as practice for your upcoming interviews!

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 27, 2015

Hey hey, keep your chin up!
    THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!
    I had the WORST panel interview; I was also seated far away from the panel, and I legit said "I don't know" to one of the questions. I said "um" to start off almost every question. It was bad. Nobody seemed interested in me nor did they smile at me. I walked out in tears knowing I had completely failed it.
    But I got the job.
    Why?
    There was one person in there (who I had my first interview with) who saw something in me and really liked me and fought for me. Because my first interview had been awesome.
    And I got the job.
    So maybe someone in that interview will think "hey, maybe they were having a bad day" and will give you a chance.
    Otherwise, something else will come up!!