Awful informal walk through.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Oct 6, 2015

Hey, everyone! I had an informal walk through observation today. It was HORRIBLE!

My P is a nice guy. That almost makes it worse. So, today, I had my kids go back through a test with a partner because I HAD to get some quizzes graded before the day was over. We finished within a couple minutes of each other, but the kids finished first. They were just quietly chatting (okay, maybe not so quietly) as I finished up my last quiz and sent a quick email. During this time, of course, my P waltzes in. While my students are sitting around the room. Talking about nothing of value.

Then, I get up to go over the test with them (which probably seemed as if I was only doing that because he was in there-even though I really was about to go over it with them with or without him). We started going over it and I spent 5 minutes explaining a problem. And then realized that I had read the problem wrong and that my students were, in fact, correct.

So whatever happened to you today, just think about this awful observation and you will feel better. :)

Please tell me that my principal doesn't think I'm an idiot. He stayed for 10-ish minutes and left (he had probably seen enough...). I feel like I should apologize for the craziness of it, but then my judgement tells me I should just act like it never happened. LOL.

Words of encouragement?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 6, 2015

Perhaps if its not a formal observation, don't sweat it too much. Unless informal pop ins are are part of the evaluation process. Perhaps you can invite your P to come back to the same class to redeem yourself in a way.

I don't mean to sound rude when I ask this, I'm just curious: why did you need to have the quizzes in by the end of the day? Grading during class is never a good idea. I would be walking around the classroom while the kids worked to gauge their comprehension. Plus you never know when there will be a random walk through!
    Kids will not mind if you don't have graded assessments done right away.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 6, 2015

If it makes you feel any better, I was observed by my P the day after I came back from a 10 day school trip to France. It was a hot mess but somehow he still have me decent scores!

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2015

If you're really worried, talk to the P, and let them know exactly what it is you'll be working on so that next time goes more smoothly! My P happened to see a transition from some whole group teaching, to getting whiteboards for some guided practice before sending them off to ind. practice...and it took longer than I had even realized in the past. She never said anything, but I knew right then that I was going to make sure that I find ways to increase the efficiency of that transition to getting whiteboards...and the next time we did that transition, it was quick.

Long story short...it happens! It all is about how we react to times when we aren't as successful as we want to be...and hopefully your P feels the same.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2015

Poop happens. Admins get that.

7. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Oct 6, 2015

Thanks everyone! I want to redeem myself but not sure what to do or say. That really isn't a typical day in my classroom.

We were going over the quizzes as a team in planning and I didn't have mine done so I was just trying to get them finished. :/

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 7, 2015

I grade my quizzes right away. I base my homework off of them, so it's important to get them done. When I had my formal observation, I told my P I would be doing that so I can differentiate the homework. He was fine with it. Just explain what happened. If he's a good P and fair, it'll turn out okay.

9. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Oct 7, 2015

I really don't think it's that bad. I had a walk-through last year when my students were listening and singing along to Disney songs. They were working on a project and asked for music; I gave them a choice of Disney, instrumental, or religious. They chose Disney. I explained it all to my P and she was totally on board. I would send an email to explain what was going on and suggest what you'll do for improvements in the future.

10. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 7, 2015

It is not that bad!

If you have questions, email him. My principal once walked in when I was handing back tests to go over and I felt pressured to hurry and hand them out and get to the lesson. I emailed later and said just that and what should I have done. She said that they know that there are times that we have 'housekeeping' to do so no worries.

11. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Oct 7, 2015

If you haven't done so already, hunt down your P. and talk with him. Ask him what he thought and if he had any constructive criticism. Regardless of what you thought, seeking out his advice goes a long way to soothing any issues and shows him that you take your job seriously. This will also allow you to casually explain what was going on when he was in the classroom.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2015

Last week my principal walked in just when the kids were changing desks with about 4 minutes until recess. Chaos!

13. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 10, 2015

"I don't mean to sound rude when I ask this, I'm just curious: why did you need to have the quizzes in by the end of the day? Grading during class is never a good idea. I would be walking around the classroom while the kids worked to gauge their comprehension. Plus you never know when there will be a random walk through!
    Kids will not mind if you don't have graded assessments done right away."
    I disagree. I have no problem with grading papers or tests during class. If I have given them time to start homework, and I can hear by the "buzz" in the room that they are on task, I will grade papers or tests that don't take a lot of my concentration. I circulate once in a while, but I have my answer key and/or teacher's edition available for them to check their answers, and they know where I am so they come to me if they need help. I don't want them to be dependent on the teacher - they need to be able to work out the problems with each other and to rely on other sources before they ask me ("Three Before Me.")

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2015

My assistant principal came into my live teaching session (the equivalent of a quick walk-through) when I was merely lecturing on Act 5 of Romeo and Juliet. When I talked with her, I apologized for being boring. She pointed out that she could clearly tell I had developed some memory triggers for the class (they knew "the F word" in my class is either Foreshadowing or Fate). In the end, she told me that I'm a lot harder on myself than she would be. Remember that for yourself.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 10, 2015

Any administrator who doesn't understand that they're not always going to witness a perfectly executed lesson (when doing an informal walkthrough) is seriously out of touch with reality.

16. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 11, 2015

I had an unannounced observation Friday, and my students were playing bingo with vocabulary words. I don't even care. Lol. They earned game time by receiving so many students points.

I did briefly think.....really? Of all the days. But then I got over it. If your principal was ever a teacher, he should understand.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 12, 2015

It sounds like they were still actively learning while still having a good time. Works for me!

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 12, 2015

I wouldn't worry about it. Most admin were teachers before and they understand.