Awesome tip I started using in my classroom

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by BioAngel, May 1, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 1, 2009

My Supervisor suggested I start playing classical music during the times I want the students to work quietly on writing. I have an account at pandora so I didn't have to buy any music (www.pandora.com) and the kids were a little confused at first but really enjoyed listening to it.

All year I've been fighting with them to do their work quietly--- the music, for some reason, kept them from getting loud and they worked much better with it playing. It is also very calming to the kids who figget a lot and even if they do want to dance or tap to the music, at least I see they're working on the assignment.

I would highly recommend this if you have some quiet times for kids to think, write, or reflect upon something.

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 1, 2009

I will def be using this my first year of teaching!!!

4. BioAngel

May 1, 2009

I would recommend doing it at the beginning of the year, so students are use to it. I got a lot of "What are you doing?" and "Can't you put on some rock music instead?" from my students today since I just used for the first time and we only have a month left of school.

I also found myself focusing better and staying calmer through out the class. :)

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 1, 2009

Okay thanks! I think the students I had during student teaching would have loved this.
    I got a lot of "its so loud in here I can't even think" from students so I am sure this would have helped.

6. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

May 1, 2009

I have always used classical music. It's on in the a.m. for quiet bell work and throughout the day for other independent work. I definitely think it keeps them calm and focused.
    :)

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 2, 2009

I quite often put in a cd when we're having an independent work period. Anything soft works... my class this year likes the hammer dulcimer instrumental. During the summer I plan to expand my collection of "working" music.

8. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

May 2, 2009

I noticed a huge difference in my students behavior when I played it in my classroom! It was totally weird how they automatically calmed down. I love music it really helps me so I will use it next year too!!

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

May 2, 2009

You need to check your school system technology rules. We are not allowed to stream music which is what pandora does.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

BioAngel-that's a great tip!!! Thanks for sharing!

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 4, 2009

I like this idea. Our network blocks Pandora, but I was able to get into Sirius Online Radio. For some reason the Pandora stream kept getting disconnected, but Sirius didn't.

12. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 7, 2009

One of my teachers in college played classical music ALL the time, but very, very quietly. He said even if you can't really hear it, your subconscious can and it helps relax you.

13. BioAngel

May 7, 2009

Most of my students can't even stay quiet and hear me! :lol: Some have asked that I change it to something more modern but to classical it stays. I can't always do it because I need to use my computer and my speakers are in a different spot, but I try to do it often enough.

14. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

May 7, 2009

:angel::angel::angel:I`ve played classical music several times... and YES!! It makes the differnece, all the kids have worked quietly and in SILENCE!!!! :lol: AMAZING!! :lol:

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 7, 2009

I love it! You can also often get classical CD's at the dollar stores.

16. ANoelle

ANoelle New Member

May 8, 2009

I played childrens' classical music during my student teaching as well. I didn't play it so much when the students were writing, but I did put it on in the middle of play time one day. It was amazing how much quieter the kindergarteners played once they heard the music. It seemed like they were instantly calmed and relaxed by it. I plan to use it while students are writing or doing quiet morning work. I've heard it being called "our work music".

17. StellarTeach17

StellarTeach17 Rookie

May 20, 2009

I love using music in the classroom!

I have classical and even soft jazz in my classroom. The kids really got to work when it comes on. It makes me laugh sometimes because it's like a little baby and a pacifire. Hey, it works, though! Sometimes I let my kids "vote" on if they want music when they're writing, and the unanimous decision is always "YES!" I'm sticking to using music. I think the kids become relaxed. I also delve into the idea that soft music is supposed to mellow your brain waves, and I approach this as a strategy to use while studying. I've used music with elementary (they absolutely love it!) and middle school (6th) who love it as well. :)

18. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

Who has used this with middle school kids? How did it go? Thanks!

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I would like to know if anyone has tried this in middle school resource/self contained sped classrooms...

20. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I love using music in the classroom. The kids are so responsive to it.

21. LadyBug Scholar

LadyBug Scholar Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

My sister is a high school science teacher, and she plays classical/jazz music while her students work. She told me that her students are more productive when the music plays. So if music helps high schoolers stay on task, I would hope that the same could happen with middle school students. :thumb:

22. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

In my ST we also did yoga with the 2nd graders. A quick session everyday after lunch in our room and about 40 minutes every wednesday in an empty classroom. I was not around to set this up, but I saw the results. We did math directly after yoga and on wednesdays there was an obvious difference in the kids and their level of noise and attention span.

When I was in HS the teachers always played music during writing and I hated it. I am easily distracted by any music and when my favorite classical pieces were played I would get involved in the music and zone out. I would just suggest to keep your music to the mostly unknown and not too rhythmic if you are going to play it loudly (louder than a subconscious hum).

23. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

I did this in my middle school self-contained classroom and Bio's right - it calms them down. I also have jazz, gypsy guitar, celtic piano, world music, rock, folk, new age - you name it, I brought it.

BUT, here's an interesting note. I decided to make an urban mix CD for them. And it was really hard finding clean urban music that wasn't raunchy - and even harder because I don't listen to urban music. But I found some and put the CD in one day and you could have heard a pin drop. They were straining to listen. lol Ironically, their favorite CD turned out to be a mix of old R&B hits like "Proud Mary," "My Girl," etc. But I would only put that on during free time 'cause it wound them up instead of calmed them down. A few of them would get up and dance! :)