Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GGarcia, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

Do you have awards ceremonies at the end of the year, where you have to come back in the evening and present an award. It sounds stupid, but I'm already nervous about it. I hate speaking in front of large crowds. I also hate that it is yet another evening I have to give up. How does it work in your school?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 20, 2014

My current school doesn't do it, but my former school did. Our only official presenters were the department chairs and the senior class teachers because they gave multiple awards for their classes. Every other grade level just gave awards for the top 3 grade averages.

The speeches (and it's a stretch to call them that) were very short. We had 3000 kids on campus with nearly 200 teachers. Even with just picking out the top students, it was a lot of kids!

I'm sure you'll do just fine!

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 21, 2014

When I was in HS, the teachers presented about 4-5 awards each and it was very standardized. They described the award, called the student up, people clapped, and then we moved on to the next award.

The HS where I currently teach doesn't involve teachers in the award ceremony. I was surprised when I found out. Guidance does all of the awards, and the teachers don't even attend!