Award help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yearroundteach, Aug 1, 2010.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I need some help from all the creative minds on this forum as my mind is feeling more like mush than creative! It is finally our last week of school and we are having our awards day. The school gives us a list of 11 awards that we give out during an assembly. However, that typically leaves each of the primary classes with 4-7 crying students who did not recieve awards. Most of the primary teachers at my school then give out awards in their classrooms.

I am in the process of making them now. Some I need help coming up with better titles and others I just need an idea for a picture to put in the bottom corner of them. To give you an idea of the what I have so far here is a brief list of the awards I have completed: Social Butterfly (picture of a butterfly), Most creative (unsure of what picture I used), Best Neighbor (picture of 2 students sitting in desks next to one another), Compliment King (picture of a crown), and so on.

Here are the ones I need help with.

*I have one little girl who just has amazing voice in her writing. It is interesting to read and you can really tell she wrote it. I don't want to just give her a "writing award" because I'd like the title to reflect that it is her writing voice that really stands out if possible.

* I have 2-3 students receiving an "Excellent Effort" award but need an idea of a picture to go with that.

* Lastly, I have 2 students recieving a "Good Example" award. I'm not crazy about that title so I'd love some help thinking of a new title as well as an idea for a picture to put on them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with my one last creative task for the year :dizzy:

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

Role Model? with a picture of a person with a shadow?

Since school is just ending, how many weeks off do you get before the new year starts? Just curious?

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

I can't believe you're still in school. :eek: How long do you get off before you have go back?

*I have one little girl who just has amazing voice in her writing.

Picture of a girl singing with her mouth open wide.

* I have 2-3 students receiving an "Excellent Effort" award but need an idea of a picture to go with that.

Pictures of barbells/ weights or a boy/ girl lifting weights.

* Lastly, I have 2 students receiving a "Good Example" award.

Good role model. A picture of that student or a mirror material that reflects them.

5. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 1, 2010

Thank you for your replies PC and cmw! Role Model is much better than Good Example. See, my brain really is mush. I also love the picture ideas!

I can hardly believe we're still in school either. In fairness though, I did have 3 3 week track breaks throughout the year. We get a little over 2 weeks off before we go back. The students get 3 weeks.

Any more replies would be greatly appreciated. Especially someone with a great idea of what to call the award for the student with great voice in her writing :)

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

Vivid Voice
    I always tell the students that voice is when I can "hear YOU" in your writing, the YOU shines through...so I would use a big ear, a person with shining rays emitting from them, or person singing as suggested above.

As for year round school, when I first taught in TX in 1984, some schools were going to YRS the following year. I moved after that first year, but it has always intrigued me!

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

Okay, I am adding this last line because I did the answers in the quotes and it says my post is too short...not a message I get too often:lol:!