Average Preschool Pay Rate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Shiloh17, May 15, 2013.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 15, 2013

I need some insight. I just came back from a job interview from a preschool and they are telling me that their starting salary is $9. Am I wrong to think that I deserve more? What is the average pay for a preschool teacher? (I am certified and have a bachelors degree in Early Education-preK-4) Although, I just graduated.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2013

Unfortunately, that pay rate seems to be in line with what I've seen over the years for preschool teachers. You guys surely do deserve more, but that seems to be close to the going rate. It might be different in other places.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2013

After taxes you'll be making $7 or less...

Any other prospects?

5. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

May 15, 2013

at the beginning of my teaching career at a day care I was making 11$ then after receiving my SECOND masters I made 12$ an hour. I left there and where I am now i make 17.60 but its nothing compared to what we deserve :(

6. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 15, 2013

The pay for preschool teachers is incredibly low around here. That seems about right to me.

7. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 15, 2013

Thanks for the input everyone.

For this preschool, I am going to a working interview on Friday. He said we can negotiate the pay. I am mainly going for the experience...we will see what happens. Would you skip the working interview? What is fair for me to come back with?

Also, I have another preschool interview on Tuesday for a Fall position. Hoping the pay will be better.

I am going to be applying to school districts for teaching positions, teaching assistants and one-on-ones as well.

THANKS AGAIN!

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 15, 2013

I don't know what it's like in PA, but in CA, private preschools tend to operate more like daycare. They require less education from their teachers, and therefore can justify the low pay rate. Even if you have a degree, the scale is still incredibly low.

State operated preschool classes that operate inside public school districts are much better. They require more educational background. They also tend to have more of a curriculum and the salary is lower than an elementary teacher's salary, but it is still a reasonable wage.

9. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 15, 2013

Thanks for the advice. Would you go to the working interview?

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 15, 2013

Generally speaking, I don't think you can go wrong by going to an interview. Unless it is a big inconvenience for you, it's good experience. Treat it as you checking out if you want to work there, rather than them testing you.

11. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 15, 2013

Thank you so much! I am definitely taking your advice.

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 15, 2013

Ya, here in NC preschool teachers make between $9-10 starting out. Seeing as I made more than that as a SECRETARY at Farm Bureau starting out--that's an incredibly insulting pay for caring for small children. I only worked at Farm Bureau a year before I started student teaching and then teaching, but by the time I left I was making $3/hour than a preschool teacher. Sad.

13. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 15, 2013

This fall I taught at a private church preschool (half-day) making $14 an hour, which was more than other area preschools. The going rate in my area seems to be $9-10.

I loved the position... A ton of freedom, no pressure, and I only worked 3 half-days per week. BUT I'm teaching public elementary school now, making twice as much money and I enjoy it.

I don't think it ever hurts to interview though! :)

14. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 16, 2013

Thank you so much!! I appreciate the feedback :)

I will let you know how it goes.

15. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 16, 2013

Appreciate the feedback... thank you! :cool:

16. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

May 16, 2013

Wow, I am sorry to hear about how low the pay is in some areas...

The district I just got hired in pays pre-school teachers at the same, standard contract rate as all other teachers in the district (pro-rated because pre-school is I think 4 weeks less, total, on each end of the school year).

Definitely do everything you can to get into a district. If you're willing to move look for states that are pushing to make (or have made) their pre-k a standard like k-12...get your foot in the door early if you can!

17. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

May 16, 2013

Thanks so much! I appreciate the response.

18. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

May 18, 2013

I have worked in a variety of settings with preschool aged kids. I don't know if you are considering childcare positions or not, but I will say that some districts divide your pay into the summer, which makes being a T.A. more difficult. So even if your pay rate is reasonable, it will take longer to get the income. At least you may not run into that problem in a childcare or private preschool setting.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2013

If I recall, the pre-school job postings I've seen were about $11-13...way too much work for that kind of pay!

20. fairy_teach00

fairy_teach00 Rookie

May 19, 2013

Yes, it would be good idea for you to continue with the working interview!

If this is a childcare facility, typically they pay much lower. Sometimes, some do take into consideration the applicants degrees. However, school districts especially public schools tend to pay higher.

Good luck with the interview!

21. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

May 19, 2013

my dream job is a pre-k public school teacher... I love pre-k but the pay they give in private schools like day cares is ridiculous!!

22. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

May 19, 2013

I'm in shock at the low pay of preschool teachers in some areas. Our local school districts offers pre K 3 and 4. These teachers are employees of the school district and are on the same pay scale as every other teachers.

Other outside preschools pay about 15 per hour but they're glorified baby sitters as they don't need to be certified. I know someone that works as a "teacher" at one of these that just has a GED.

23. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

That is more than some private preschools are willing to pay.
    It is ridiculous that they pay more at some zoos where you take care of animals, THAN at some preschools; where you teach and take care of the future of America! On that note, if you want the BIG bucks then it's better to work for a public school as a Pre-K teacher.
    Rebel1

24. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 20, 2013

Here in GA, even our certified PreK teachers in public school don't get paid that much. If you work for Ga funded PreK, then any school (public or private) must pay you based on a state scale that works off your level of education, certification etc...but it is still way below what you'd make working K-12 in the system. It's just really sad. Most preschool teachers in our area make between $9-12 an hour.